Proposal: Building for 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
According to the interview from Lehner they weren't allowed to see teammates at all (or anyone else for that matter).

Even player's family members were "recommended" to not see anybody.

Players also had to take a covid test every single day.

Hmmmm... I think they either ignored that policy or changed it at some point. I've heard about players socializing, having backyard beers at least. I remember Foligno saying that he and Savvy were hanging out together when Savvy got the call about the trade.

I gathered that the big difference was on the road. That used to be team bonding time but this year they were more isolated.

Reactions: cslebn

6zag

Apr 30, 2016
Hmmmm... I think they either ignored that policy or changed it at some point. I've heard about players socializing, having backyard beers at least. I remember Foligno saying that he and Savvy were hanging out together when Savvy got the call about the trade.

I gathered that the big difference was on the road. That used to be team bonding time but this year they were more isolated.

Well, I don't know. Could be either I guess. But he made quite a big deal out of it. If you're interested here's the video.

Edit: Could also vary depending on the team I guess?

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Well, I don't know. Could be either I guess. But he made quite a big deal out of it. If you're interested here's the video.

Edit: Could also vary depending on the team I guess?

Think timing mattered a bit too. The Foligno-Savard get together was later.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I said, "In the past two years Jarmo has done nothing to ADD to this roster". And I stand by that. Nothing anyone posted contradicts my description of what he had done since the Big Exit two years ago. i never said he was afraid to make a trade. He was simply a dunce for believing that Tex, Foudy and Bemstrum were going to rejuvenate the team after the Big Exit.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Remember Russian's problem in Caps in the start of the season when Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Orlov and Samsonov were together in the room. So I doubt they could see too much. What isn't too good for news players.
Btw IMHO it's stupidity. KHL never do it and its players didn't have more ill players than in NHL. Especially if players are together in the bench, on the ice.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Yeah. I’m guessing it may have relaxed a bit later on but who knows. I would see players like Gavrikov and Elvis post on Instagram about being at the park. Not together though. The obvious Foligno, Savard story as well but maybe they said screw it because they were getting traded but I never saw posts of players together outside the arena on IG.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I agree that we are loaded with wingers, I just personally think Duclair outclasses many of them, he'd be among our best.
Whom? Bjork and Laine are better plus Patrik is 23 years, Cam won't play in bottom 6 probably plus he's excelent PKG player, Bemstrom (22) with Tex (22) will only progress. Gus is maybe not so good in offense but he's more versatile and he's a leader. Don't forget Foudy, I hope he'll play in WC, nobody knows how Danforth and Hofman will play, similar as Chinakhov (btw it's interesting if Jarmo resign Grigo or not). And I'm not writing about players as Jenner or Robinson who are very important for every team. Often grinders are the most important in the team especially on PO. Simply we don't need players like Duclair.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Whom? Bjork and Laine are better plus Patrik is 23 years, Cam won't play in bottom 6 probably plus he's excelent PKG player, Bemstrom (22) with Tex (22) will only progress. Gus is maybe not so good in offense but he's more versatile and he's a leader. Don't forget Foudy, I hope he'll play in WC, nobody knows how Danforth and Hofman will play, similar as Chinakhov. And I'm not writing about players as Jenner or Robinson who are very important for every team. Often grinders are the most important in the team especially on PO. Simply we don't need players like Duclair.

I could see Duclair being close to even with Domi, Atkinson, and Roslovic, and only solidly behind Bjorkstrand. Who knows what we'll get from Laine. Certainly Duclair was better than him this year.

I like our wingers, I'm not suggesting we try a big trade for Duc, I'm just saying he'd be a top 6 upgrade for us.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I could see Duclair being close to even with Domi, Atkinson, and Roslovic, and only solidly behind Bjorkstrand. Who knows what we'll get from Laine. Certainly Duclair was better than him this year.

I like our wingers, I'm not suggesting we try a big trade for Duc, I'm just saying he'd be a top 6 upgrade for us.
I'm writing about future now. Laine is better than Duclair plus he's 23 years. Bjork is better too, IMHO more versatile Nuquist is more important for us than Anthony. There're three places. Atkinson still could play in the third line but I doubt everybody would move Jenner to the fourth. Although I prefer to take Stastny for one year and line Texier--Stastny--Laine. Yes, I know he is slow, but he has very good vision, position play what means he doesn't have to skate so much. Plus he could help Tex to be a very good center and because Paul can play on the wing too, we could change each other then, helping find Patrik his game because one has a great chemistry with him. I like the lines Nyquist(32)--Domi(26)--Bjorkstrand(26), Texier(22)--Stastny(36)--Laine(23), Bemstrom(22)--Roslovic(24)--Atkinson(32), Robinson(26)--Jenner(28)--Foudy(21) plus Liam would learn to be the center similar like Tex. We should a combination different players with different years. And again because of the injury Gus is like a new player for us. Then Danforth, Hofman, Chinakhov, Wolanski who should give a chance IMHO, Mayers, Dunne, Angle and I'm writing only youngs or news players. We have enough players in offense.
IMHO, an ideal solution is use own sources and not sacrife our future only for one player especially if nobody know his play in the future. I hate to take Reinhart or (especially) Eichel thanks to trades or get UFA players as RNH or Danault who would signed for many years. It's only one exception for me... J.T. Miller.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
In the past two years Jarmo has done nothing to add to this roster and suddenly people think he is going to find significant upgrades this off-season ???? Seriously.

Gustav Nyquist was added <2 years ago. Laine and Roslovic in place of disgruntled PLD. He did sign Koivu, even if he didn't stick. Traded for Lehtonen. Added Domi in place of Anderson - remember when we needed to shore up the center positions and he thought PLD - Domi - Koivu - Nash was going to be a good group?

I'm not sure he's done "nothing." A lot of things just haven't worked out.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Just spitballin' here but do you think Buffalo would trade the rights to Reinhart for the 2 low #1's? Unfortunately per Capfriendly we don't have assets to offer sheet.If he is as unhappy as he appears to be then maybe?

I'd prefer Eichel but I am concerned with the neck issue. Absent that I'd pretty much bet the future on him and do what I had to do.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just spitballin' here but do you think Buffalo would trade the rights to Reinhart for the 2 low #1's? Unfortunately per Capfriendly we don't have assets to offer sheet.If he is as unhappy as he appears to be then maybe?

I'd prefer Eichel but I am concerned with the neck issue. Absent that I'd pretty much bet the future on him and do what I had to do.

I don't think they would. Should cost more than that. We certainly have the assets to get him, the more complicated bit is getting Reinhart extended along with the trade. He has to sign here long term to justify the cost of the trade.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
For some context, the 15 highest paid defensemen:

RANK

PLAYER

2020 CAP DOLLARS

Erik Karlsson

$11,500,000

Drew Doughty

$11,000,000

Roman Josi

$9,059,000

P.K. Subban

$9,000,000

Alex Pietrangelo

$8,800,000

Oliver Ekman-Larsson

$8,250,000

John Carlson

$8,000,000

Thomas Chabot

$8,000,000

Brent Burns

$8,000,000

Jacob Trouba

$8,000,000

Victor Hedman

$7,875,000

Shea Weber

$7,857,143

Jared Spurgeon

$7,575,000

Ryan Suter

$7,538,462

Aaron Ekblad

$7,500,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The gap between 2 and 3 is pretty significant.

The gap between 5 and 6 is significant.

So I expect the Pietrangelo - Josi range is probably what Seth’s agent is thinking and the team is thinking. With the agent at the high end and the team at the low end. But the difference isn’t much. They should be able to get this done.

I also look at this and think New York is going to have to pay Fox a ton and Eichel will not be a Ranger.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
For some context, the 15 highest paid defensemen:

RANKPLAYER2020 CAP DOLLARS
1Erik Karlsson$11,500,000
2Drew Doughty$11,000,000
3Roman Josi$9,059,000
4P.K. Subban$9,000,000
5Alex Pietrangelo$8,800,000
6Oliver Ekman-Larsson$8,250,000
7John Carlson$8,000,000
7Thomas Chabot$8,000,000
7Brent Burns$8,000,000
7Jacob Trouba$8,000,000
11Victor Hedman$7,875,000
12Shea Weber$7,857,143
13Jared Spurgeon$7,575,000
14Ryan Suter$7,538,462
15Aaron Ekblad$7,500,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The gap between 2 and 3 is pretty significant.

The gap between 5 and 6 is significant.

So I expect the Pietrangelo - Josi range is probably what Seth’s agent is thinking and the team is thinking. With the agent at the high end and the team at the low end. But the difference isn’t much. They should be able to get this done.

I also look at this and think New York is going to have to pay Fox a ton and Eichel will not be a Ranger.

I could see both parties being close to $9m. That's a reasonable guess. But do we know for sure that the team is willing to pay him that? Not really.

I'm sure Jarmo realizes that he's kind of like the manager of an empty mall. He knows he needs to pay up for the anchor tenant or this place is going to be a ghost town. So he'll pay him an extra million or two if need be. But one or two million on top of what? Does the club think of him as a top ten D-man? An $8m caliber D-man? A $6m caliber D-man? The public analytics that we have have not been kind to Seth in the last two years. It's possible that is the club's view as well. Or perhaps, as is often the case with teams, their more in-depth private data paints a different picture. If I had to guess, they'll be around $8m or $9m per, but I'm prepared to be surprised.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
At some point I plan to going through all the teams’ cap situations / defensive depth and figure out alternative places he could go to.

Obviously the Kings, Knights, Sharks, etc. are out. Rangers and Avs have their good young right D so they won’t be after Jones either.

An interesting team is Toronto. Let’s say once again this post season their defense is exposed. What if they let Reilly leave in free agency and target Jones for a rebuilt D? Both are UFA after next year so the timing works. They might need to trade Nylander with their cap situation. Nylander and Rielly are a combined $12 million cap hit. $9 mill for Jones and money left over for a decent veteran wing from the Toronto area looking for a couple of seasons playing for his home town team at a discount? Keeping Reilly would probably cost them at least $7 mill. Jones makes more sense.

Sandin Jones
Muzzin Brody
? Holl

Jones played youth hockey out of Dallas and has played for the Preds and CBJ. He might want to go somewhere where hockey is king.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Favorite targets at C:
  • Tomas Hertl (trade) - I think he'd make for an interesting duo with Laine for the time being.
  • Phillip Danault (UFA) - As described previously, he's actively shown he can do what we'd need - take on heavy minutes and shield those behind him.
  • Nick Schmaltz (trade) - For similar reasons as Danault, although he's less high-profile in that regard.
  • David Krejci (UFA) - If we can get him for a few short years as a fill-in, he'd be perfect. But those are very specific circumstances.
Guys I'm ambivalent about:
  • Evgeny Kuznetsov (trade) - Those off-ice troubles have me really worried, but if they're overblown, we could potentially get a steal.
  • RNH (UFA) - That 5-on-5 malaise has me really really worried.
  • Jack Eichel (trade) - Is going to cost a hell of a lot and has quite a bit of risk associated w/r/t attitude and injury, assuming we can get him at all. But, if the risks are unfounded, would presumably solve the #1C problem once and for all.
Guys I Do Not Want or do not think could or would help:
  • Sean Monahan (trade) - He's more of what we're already struggling with, but with a higher price tag.
  • Logan Couture (trade) - That contract is just too ugly and I'm not sold on his defensive performance.
  • Sam Reinhart (trade) - We've already got someone who has an unexpected hot streak that we have to hope on for next year (Roz); I'm not particularly interested in adding another, especially given the "sell high" prices I'm seeing.
  • Either Strome brother (trade) - Not good enough to take over as #1C and not sturdy enough to serve as heavy minutes shields - and both seem heavily dependent on playmaking transition wingers as is. If available at REALLY low cost, maybe.
  • Any "project"/"reclamation" type like Steel, Patrick, et cetera (trades, mostly) - We've got enough already.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
[*]Evgeny Kuznetsov (trade) - Those off-ice troubles have me really worried, but if they're overblown, we could potentially get a steal.

I'm not sure a guy who tests positive for coke after lying about it could ever be considered an over-blown off ice concern.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm not worried about just one incident, but you can tell if the Caps want him gone that it's a much bigger issue than that.
That is most likely just the tip of the iceberg. If they wanted him gone because of that it would have happened a couple of years ago but it obviously goes much deeper.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Favorite targets at C:
  • Tomas Hertl (trade) - I think he'd make for an interesting duo with Laine for the time being.
  • Phillip Danault (UFA) - As described previously, he's actively shown he can do what we'd need - take on heavy minutes and shield those behind him.
  • Nick Schmaltz (trade) - For similar reasons as Danault, although he's less high-profile in that regard.
  • David Krejci (UFA) - If we can get him for a few short years as a fill-in, he'd be perfect. But those are very specific circumstances.
  • Evgeny Kuznetsov (trade) - Those off-ice troubles have me really worried, but if they're overblown, we could potentially get a steal.
  • Jack Eichel (trade) - Is going to cost a hell of a lot and has quite a bit of risk associated w/r/t attitude and injury, assuming we can get him at all. But, if the risks are unfounded, would presumably solve the #1C problem once and for all.
  • Sean Monahan (trade) - He's more of what we're already struggling with, but with a higher price tag.
  • Logan Couture (trade) - That contract is just too ugly and I'm not sold on his defensive performance.
  • Sam Reinhart (trade) - We've already got someone who has an unexpected hot streak that we have to hope on for next year (Roz); I'm not particularly interested in adding another, especially given the "sell high" prices I'm seeing.
  • Either Strome brother (trade) - Not good enough to take over as #1C and not sturdy enough to serve as heavy minutes shields - and both seem heavily dependent on playmaking transition wingers as is. If available at REALLY low cost, maybe.
  • Any "project"/"reclamation" type like Steel, Patrick, et cetera (trades, mostly) - We've got enough already.

I agree on all except for Reinhart - at least kick the can on the price and investigate his play. If his underlying game at center was strong and he was generating a lot, then I'm less worried about it being a hot streak.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Favorite targets at C:

I'd add Miller. Hertl and Schmaltz would be fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad