Proposal: Building for 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I translated this text Patrik Laine kertoo väleistään kohuvalmentaja John Tortorellaan: "Tuli huomattua, että hänelle on ihan sama, kuka olet tai kuinka paljon sinulla on palkkakuitissa nollia" . Of course any translator can`t be accurate but IMHO even this shows he has liked Columbus and Torts too, he would like to stay here. And one said his bad play was his problem not because of Torts or the team. Very good article I support to read it. So IMHO players wouldn`t have problems with Laine.

I think Patty has taken good steps in his words, he takes responsibility for his results and so on.

As a teammate though you have more demands on each other than that. When teams struggle, players lose patience with those who aren't professional in their training or day to day preparedness. Again though I was just speculating as regards to Laine.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
With regards to Reinhardt.

he’s concerning to me with only a partial season spent at C (acknowledging multiple 20+ g seasons at wing). More than that though are his zone starts. He seems like another Roslovic or Domi which I don’t think we need.

guys like Hertl, Schenn, Danault, and even Kuzy might be more rounded and help balance our roster more.

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7201

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I’d certainly like to add a top 6 center. At the same time I’ll be interested in what the new coaching staff can do with the center position. Wennberg netted 17 goals in 56 games this year, his first away from Columbus, after scoring 2 and 5 his prior years. Of course Wild Bill potted 43 when he left and has shown he’s a 20 goal scorer.

Ros and Domi look like they have offensive tools. Yes, their defense needs work. But I can’t help but wonder if our center woes are in part because the prior system’s defensive demands detracted from offense....just raising this as a possibility which would give me a touch more optimism.
Get ready for excuses galore .. I’ve been beating that drum for a while . The fact that Torts had Karlsson playing a checking role , he leaves and instantly scores 50g, should have made everyone question what Torts was doing . You mean to tell me the coach that watched practice every day couldn’t see he had more to give than being a checker

Imagine if our big acquisition this summer is bringing back 17 g scorer Alex Wennberg :naughty:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It’s going to be incredible difficult to find a perfect C but Jarmo had to find a C this summer. Has to or next year is in jeaopardy and with that some key players.
This summer and next year is extremely important for the Jackets and Jarmo.

I’ve seen Domi play a lot and he’s not build to play C against the best, he’s a C version of Laine.

Kuz has had issues this year but on the other hand you think if trade could lit a fire under him again.

Reinhart has small sample size at C but he looked good there and has always been considered a smart versatile player. So at worst you’d get a 25/26y quality player which the forward group could really use for.

Danault is good option but can not be an option for top line! He can’t play with your best offensive players.
He could and should be an really good match up c and is young enough to be a quality longterm addition

Atleast 1 quality C
New coach
New depth
And get it going again

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Get ready for excuses galore .. I’ve been beating that drum for a while . The fact that Torts had Karlsson playing a checking role , he leaves and instantly scores 50g, should have made everyone question what Torts was doing . You mean to tell me the coach that watched practice every day couldn’t see he had more to give than being a checker

Imagine if our big acquisition this summer is bringing back 17 g scorer Alex Wennberg :naughty:

Don't expect Wennberg to score 17 goals again if he's still only shooting 1 shot per game.

As for Karlsson, he played a lot of minutes for the Jackets alongside good players, playing a fast system that wasn't much different from what the Knights went with. If his potential eluded Torts it is probably for the same reason it eluded everyone else. He didn't score for us.

I'm sure there is more offensive potential in a number of guys, and I hope the new coach can help unlock that. I'm just not in agreement with you on what counts as good evidence.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think Patty has taken good steps in his words, he takes responsibility for his results and so on.

As a teammate though you have more demands on each other than that. When teams struggle, players lose patience with those who aren't professional in their training or day to day preparedness. Again though I was just speculating as regards to Laine.
We don`t know if his approach has improved or not.

What`s happen the team. I always say it we don`t need 1C but three good lines. Besides don`t forgot players progress and because of 1C could return his progress back... and sorry, but it wouldn`t be very good decision..

I’ve seen Domi play a lot and he’s not build to play C against the best, he’s a C version of Laine.
I don`t agree they can. And we have enough players. I don`t see any reason to move Texier or Bemstrom to the 4th line only becasue of new players. We reload the team, we aren`t Cup contenders.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Do we need LW help? Duclair put up 32 points in 43 games.

pscbj80

Aug 1, 2020
It’s going to be incredible difficult to find a perfect C but Jarmo had to find a C this summer. Has to or next year is in jeaopardy and with that some key players.
This summer and next year is extremely important for the Jackets and Jarmo.

Kuz has had issues this year but on the other hand you think if trade could lit a fire under him again.

Reinhart has small sample size at C but he looked good there and has always been considered a smart versatile player. So at worst you’d get a 25/26y quality player which the forward group could really use for.

Danault is good option but can not be an option for top line! He can’t play with your best offensive players.
He could and should be an really good match up c and is young enough to be a quality longterm addition

Atleast 1 quality C
New coach
New depth
And get it going again
I agree it will be difficult to find that 1C Jarmo covets. I don't think Eichel is a viable option with the cost it will take to get him and the continued questions about his cervical spine health. Maybe Jarmo will find a name we don't expect, like how Panarin became available from Chicago. Someone like Hertl could fit the surprise category (at least for me, not for some others :sarcasm:).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I do think Torts and Jarmo blew it with Duclair. Unfortunately he's Florida's RFA property.

He also loves Barkov and is playing next to him, on Rw.
Before that he played Rw next to Huby& Bennett.

Hard to see him not sign in Florida.

I agree it will be difficult to find that 1C Jarmo covets. I don't think Eichel is a viable option with the cost it will take to get him and the continued questions about his cervical spine health. Maybe Jarmo will find a name we don't expect, like how Panarin became available from Chicago. Someone like Hertl could fit the surprise category (at least for me, not for some others :sarcasm:).

The issue with Buffalo is that I can’t see either of the big assets guys Werenski or Jones re-sign in Buffalo.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
In the past two years Jarmo has done nothing to add to this roster and suddenly people think he is going to find significant upgrades this off-season ???? Seriously.

Reactions: EspenK

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Velel, because you can't play with six wings on two lines. By definition one of them falls into the center.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bjorkstrand/Laine/Nyquist/Bemstrom/Atkinson/Texier/Domi. All they can play on LW/RW or one`s are wingers. Bemstrom with Texier progress. Why we should take a player whom we don`t need?

I agree that we are loaded with wingers, I just personally think Duclair outclasses many of them, he'd be among our best.

Reactions: BB88

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
In the past two years Jarmo has done nothing to add to this roster and suddenly people think he is going to find significant upgrades this off-season ???? Seriously.

Sorry to bother but Jarmo has shown multiple times that he’s not afraid to make a big trade.

Johansen- Jones, Panarin- Saad on top of the list and he knows very well that he needs to act so he will be aggressive.
He didn’t have to be as aggressive when he thought he had his core in place

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sorry to bother but Jarmo has shown multiple times that he’s not afraid to make a big trade.

Johansen- Jones, Panarin- Saad on top of the list and he knows very well that he needs to act so he will ve aggressive.
He didn’t have to be as aggressive when he thought he had his core in place

Right, he's one of the most active GMs. About as far from a do-nothing as it gets.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Bjorkstrand/Laine/Nyquist/Bemstrom/Atkinson/Texier/Domi. All they can play on LW/RW or one`s are wingers. Bemstrom with Texier progress. Why we should take a player whom we don`t need?

Duclair's 0.74 points per game would have ranked 2nd on the Blue Jackets this season, behind only Oliver Bjorkstrand.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Duclair's 0.74 points per game would have ranked 2nd on the Blue Jackets this season, behind only Oliver Bjorkstrand.
And? Do we have move our talants who progress to the fourth line only for Duclair? Where is written they won`t be better. Duclair is 26 - Laine 23, Bemstrom 22, Texier 22, maybe Foudy 21 too. Besides again if a new center would come Domi can play on the wing.
Btw he played in Florida not here so points per game isn`t too good stat.

Reactions: thebus88

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
And? Do we have move our talants who progress to the fourth line only for Duclair? Where is written they won`t be better. Duclair is 26 - Laine 23, Bemstrom 22, Texier 22, maybe Foudy 21 too. Besides again if a new center would come Domi can play on the wing.
Btw he played in Florida not here so points per game isn`t too good stat.
This comment isn’t related to Duclair, but IMO if we are target a veteran scoring forward/center from a rebuilding team, then some combo of young, attractive assets - Tex/Bemstrom/Foudy - along with picks would be a logical package for such a team.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It can't be the Brads, who have little sway even when they have jobs, which they might not going forward.

I find it very plausible that it's the leaders. They're the ones trying to restore the locker room, maybe they don't think that's possible with Laine present. That and/or they know things about Laine's lifestyle and professionalism that Jarmo doesn't know firsthand. Obviously I'm just throwing out guesses here, it could be that they don't have that big of an issue with Laine.

Considering how little they were supposedly allowed to hang out during the season I'm not sure how many of the players would even know that stuff very well. And certainly we as fans have zero insight on how they interacted in the locker room. Roslovic is the only guy on that team who really knows what he is like as a person and he is clearly a fan of him based on media comments.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This comment isn’t related to Duclair, but IMO if we are target a veteran scoring forward/center from a rebuilding team, then some combo of young, attractive assets - Tex/Bemstrom/Foudy - along with picks would be a logical package for such a team.
I understand but although Jarmo wants to reload the team and not rebuilt it doesn't mean we'll trade our future. Especially if players as Bemstrom or Texier could be TOP 6 level and Nyquist will return. Btw don't forget he didn't play the whole season so he will be as a new player for us. Every success organisation thinks about its future. I don't want repeat the first years in NHL only to win the first round in PO.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Considering how little they were supposedly allowed to hang out during the season I'm not sure how many of the players would even know that stuff very well. And certainly we as fans have zero insight on how they interacted in the locker room. Roslovic is the only guy on that team who really knows what he is like as a person and he is clearly a fan of him based on media comments.

Were they really not hanging out at all? I've heard that they're not allowed to hang out in each others hotel rooms while on road trips, though they could congregate in certain common areas. At home I don't think they had, or at least did not follow, that sort of restriction. I could be wrong. And in any case, I'm not claiming to have any window into the locker room.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Were they really not hanging out at all? I've heard that they're not allowed to hang out in each others hotel rooms while on road trips, though they could congregate in certain common areas. At home I don't think they had, or at least did not follow, that sort of restriction. I could be wrong. And in any case, I'm not claiming to have any window into the locker room.
No idea but I've always heard that they had lots of restrictions to follow and the excuse that they weren't allowed to hang out and bond as a team that contributed to this years problems. Not that I actually believed that as an acceptable excuse. I at least think they weren't allowed to congregate in large groups outside the arena.

6zag

Apr 30, 2016

According to the interview from Lehner they weren't allowed to see teammates at all (or anyone else for that matter).

Even player's family members were "recommended" to not see anybody.

Players also had to take a covid test every single day.

Edit: Basically the players are effectively quarantined outside of training and games for the duration of the season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad