Buffalo Sabres GM Candidates ?

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
There's something fundamentally wrong with the Sabres organization. They've thrown money at the roster. That didn't work so we tanked. They made trades for big names - and traded them away again. They a hired Stanley Cup winning coach and a GM supposedly mutually responsible for building another SC winner. They then went back to basics and brought in a player's coach and a supposed cap wizard. They've built the players a superlative dressing room and training facility. Yet, every year since Pegula took over the team, no season has met expectations (other than the tank year). It's not being overly dramatic to say that the whole enterprise has turned to ****.

So what is the common thread running through all of this? What's the root cause of the problems here? Somebody needs to do some independent cause and effect analysis which would likely demonstrate that there's a strong correlation between the Pegula's as owners and how old man Wirtz nearly ran the Chicago franchise into the ground.
I understand the sentiment, but the reasoning is not rational. First you say that ownership is basically doing all the right things (paragraph 1), but that the team continues to fail despite that, the reasons for which are not clear. Then you say that the ownership is the problem (paragraph 2), with no evidence presented other than that the ownership has been constant. The Pegulas can't possibly be doing everything right and be the problem at the same time.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
There's something fundamentally wrong with the Sabres organization. They've thrown money at the roster. That didn't work so we tanked. They made trades for big names - and traded them away again. They a hired Stanley Cup winning coach and a GM supposedly mutually responsible for building another SC winner. They then went back to basics and brought in a player's coach and a supposed cap wizard. They've built the players a superlative dressing room and training facility. Yet, every year since Pegula took over the team, no season has met expectations (other than the tank year). It's not being overly dramatic to say that the whole enterprise has turned to ****.

So what is the common thread running through all of this? What's the root cause of the problems here? Somebody needs to do some independent cause and effect analysis which would likely demonstrate that there's a strong correlation between the Pegula's as owners and how old man Wirtz nearly ran the Chicago franchise into the ground.

I love their money. I love the financial stability that they have brought to this franchise and the region. I love their enthusiasm and commitment to the franchise and WNY. But they don't know hockey and need to stay as far away from that end of the operation as possible. They can start by hiring a top flight Director of Hockey Operations. (Even though they had one of these once.)

My cynicism suggests that they'll just screw that up too but I don't know what else to suggest. I'll just end there.
Wirtz is too cheap to buy batteries for the smoke detector. Pegula is the kindly old gentleman who smokes cigars in bed. Either way it ends badly.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If getting Skinner isn't a mitigation I'm not sure what would rate as one.

I think that’s fair. But given the price, and our geography being ideal for a year, that acquisition has a certain feel to it. Like we were Carolina’s last chance to get a return and they wanted to get it over with, rather than Botts particularly targeting Skinner as a piece of his puzzle and bamboozling the Canes into a good deal.

I’ll give him full credit if he resigns at a respectable number. But to be honest even that move is just getting back to even after trading away Kane, and still nothing to replace O’Reilly. The NHL club is just treading water talent wise.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
A month ago, even when it was clear that we weren't going to make the playoffs I would have said this thread is ridiculous. But the way this has all gone down recently I think it is fair game. Botterill handled this season very poorly and he has begun to lose fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Willgamesh

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Chiarelli's free. Seems like he has some experience with creating these sort of situations too.

:eek:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Outside of getting a new coach what are you expecting a new GM to do? They don't have the power to appeal to the league and undo the RoR trade. If we want a new GM because we're hoping they'll conjure up a huge winning trade that isn't a good strategy either.

If we want a new GM because we believe Botts won't fire Housley than I can at least understand.

If he doesn't sack Phil, he has to go.

To your first point, his talent assessment and acquisitions could be questioned. He's going to be managing for his job if he does sack Phil and so far his trade history has been subpar on the whole.

Reactions: sabremike

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Is Darcy a re-tread at this point? I know I'm crazy, but I miss the days he was able to put a team together. Hextall would be worth taking a look at otherwise, as mentioned before. I don't hate Botterill, but his half-assed approach during the TDL and the will-he-or-won't-he with Skinner is putting me off.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I’m fine with Botts getting another year. Next season should be about missing the playoffs with dignity.

Reactions: kobe808lak

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
It depends on who Botterill's next coaching hire is. If he sticks with Housley at the end of the season, he can follow Phil out the door.
I honestly think they should both go.I was all for giving botts another year but everything he has done save Skinner trade has left a bitter taste in my mouth

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Regier and Ruff might be just what this team needs. Until they get here and Regier is too gun shy to pull the trigger and Ruff starts taking Sobotkas mistakes out on Dahlin.
Except Regier would have money this time and Sobotka wouldn't play on Ruffs team lol

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
After the past few GM hires im sick of guessing who it should be.

Of course there can be indications of how a guy will be as GM, but at the end of the day its unknown until he starts dealing.

There are more guys on the "do not want " list

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Undoubtedly, Botts effed up the O’Reilly deal and other things. That being said, this has always been a multi-year rebuild. He is doing the right things in Rochester, has had a couple good drafts and now will need to make some changes in the coaching staff and the roster.

Blockhead’s dismissal this year is counterproductive
He should have addressed the center position with something during the slide after the streak or when Berglund quit. A filler center to take the pressure off of Casey and Sobotka was needed and he failed to deliver.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Outside of getting a new coach what are you expecting a new GM to do? They don't have the power to appeal to the league and undo the RoR trade. If we want a new GM because we're hoping they'll conjure up a huge winning trade that isn't a good strategy either.

If we want a new GM because we believe Botts won't fire Housley than I can at least understand.

I have no idea what your talking about.

I don’t want to get a new gm because I think they can do magic, I want a new gm because the current one is doing a lot of stupid stuff.

If my options are stay with the gm who has sucked for two years or fire him and try again, then I’m moving on. I’m telling you about the issues that are in store for next year to show this doesn’t look like it’s gonna her way better unless Dahlin goes ham. And that’s not a reason to keep Botts.

Him wanting to keep Housley, is not a firing situation, it’s a mental health outcry.

Reactions: Baccus

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I'm reaching the consensus on the need to get rid of Housley, but I feel like Botterill should get at least a couple more years with a new coach. I like what he's done organizationally and in Rochester, and I want to give it time to see if the successful foundation he's built in Rochester will trickle up to the NHL.

Besides, most GMs get at least two coaching hires before they find themselves on the hot seat, which I think is fair. This organization desperately needs some front office stability for a while.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I was wanting to give him a third year to fix this but then I remember the ROR trade and fear his idea of a solution this offseason could be something like Reinhart for low end futures and garbage vet camp dumps.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
the same GM who traded for Briere and Drury? The same one who brought in Juneau and Warrener at the deadline?
Briere and Drury were awesome acquisitions (and he had others) no argument here. He built a contender after the lockout and then sat on his hands. He added nothing of any worth to those teams. 05-06 with a blueline addition at the deadline likely wins a cup. Like I said Darcy was good at robbing other teams in deals, he wasn't good at paying market value for pieces that could help his team "win now". Is he a better GM than Botterill or Murray? Probably, but I'd also say there's a reason he's in no ones front office anymore.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
I'm reaching the consensus on the need to get rid of Housley, but I feel like Botterill should get at least a couple more years with a new coach. I like what he's done organizationally and in Rochester, and I want to give it time to see if the successful foundation he's built in Rochester will trickle up to the NHL.

Besides, most GMs get at least two coaching hires before they find themselves on the hot seat, which I think is fair. This organization desperately needs some front office stability for a while.
I'm giving JB until day 1 of next year. If he doesn't do something about the dead weight on this roster over the summer and expects this same team (less Pominville) to be better via growth, I'll gladly be on the fire them both train.

Housley has certainly made some idiot lineup decisions, but he still has to work with the pile of shit that is on this roster which is JB & TM's fault.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I was wanting to give him a third year to fix this but then I remember the ROR trade and fear his idea of a solution this offseason could be something like Reinhart for low end futures and garbage vet camp dumps.

I doubt he moves Reinhart.

Risto for a 1st + a cap dump or two is a move I could see him making.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
oh shhhh that actually gave me really bad thoughts holy, what if he didn't learn from RoR and just does it again? We would become the worst pro sports franchise ever.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I think Ron Hextall is the best GM without a job. Who cares if nobody likes him? Gandhi could be the Sabres GM and we'd end up hating him.

Is Darcy a re-tread at this point? I know I'm crazy, but I miss the days he was able to put a team together. Hextall would be worth taking a look at otherwise, as mentioned before. I don't hate Botterill, but his half-assed approach during the TDL and the will-he-or-won't-he with Skinner is putting me off.

Hextall's trademark characteristic is his patience while letting his prospects develop and fill roles on the NHL club. His club started abysmally last year, he made no moves and preached patience and then they went on a run to make the playoffs. This year, same thing, he preached patience while they continued to flounder.

He also married himself to Hakstol, who is a substantially worse coach than Housley & Bylsma put together. Hak somehow coached a roster with Giroux, Voracek, Coutourier, Simmonds, JVR, Patrick, Konecny, Provorov, and Ghost to last place in the entire league (earlier this year). Oh, and their youth all took steps back this year (check Philly's board, half of them can't unload Ghost fast enough, and many are down on Patrick & Provy).

For all intents and purposes, Hextall = Botts when it comes to their approach for roster building, patience, and loyalty to their coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad