Buffalo Sabres GM Candidates ?

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
No one wants to change again so soon but I'm starting to believe that it's going to have to happen along with the coach to move forward. This job is obviously too big for Botterill.
What would be some of the candidates out there available this coming offseason? You're not going to get a Lou .L but I want someone that will make bold moves and see the obvious.

Randy Sexton (Rochester)
Mark Hunter
Ron Hextall

Last edited:
Reactions: Buffaloed

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
One more year to correct this, as mentioned, find a decent coach.

If he doesn't fire Housley, then I'm on board with letting him go. That would prove ineptitude.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm fully aboard the keep Botteril train. Give him one more year with a new coach.

I was too, until about 10 games ago.

If you want to give him credit for Roch, fine. However, the NHL team, his primary job, has among the league's worst on his watch. He's had long enough to show a pulse. It's just a flat-line.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Not firing Housley months ago was all the proof I need.

I don't think anyone's arguing that it should have been done.

However, it also sets a bad precedent, and if you want to bring in a good coach, you have to show there is some level of sanctity to the position...

Housley was given the rope, and he's hung himself.

Finally well hung.... lol

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I'm fully aboard the keep Botteril train. Give him one more year with a new coach.
The coach is a symptom of a gm with no clue and or balls. He is the reason this roster is so bad and yet everyone thinks a new coach will turn the trick. It won’t the roster is no where near NHL level. And that is Bobbleheads fault. Look no further that trading ROR. Period. He got nothing of value back. He did nothing last year and nothing during the season this year. That is not on the coach, its on the gm. He needs to be gone

Reactions: Professor Chaos

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I don't think anyone's arguing that it should have been done.

However, it also sets a bad precedent, and if you want to bring in a good coach, you have to show there is some level of sanctity to the position...

Housley was given the rope, and he's hung himself.

Finally well hung.... lol
I agree. Fire the gm and get someone who is committed to making the NHL club better. Otherwise we will have an AHL club in Buffalo and Rochester

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
The coach is a symptom of a gm with no clue and or balls. He is the reason this roster is so bad and yet everyone thinks a new coach will turn the trick. It won’t the roster is no where near NHL level. And that is Bobbleheads fault. Look no further that trading ROR. Period. He got nothing of value back. He did nothing last year and nothing during the season this year. That is not on the coach, its on the gm. He needs to be gone

I disagree. There is a collection of decent talent here that has completely abandoned playing any sort of structure. This roster is flat out underachieving.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Botterill GB

G:
Skinner, Montour, Dahlin/ lottery

B:
Roster signings last season

Stating he did not realize how big the job was going to be

Return on O'Reilly trade

Roster signings this season

Not adding a second line Center or other roster help throughout the season

Not sending Thompson down to the minors.

Calling up players from Rochester and then letting Housley put them in the Press Box.

Missing on Carter Hutton and not having another viable goaltender option in the organization

Not realizing apparent pressure on Phil Housley and supporting him.

Could be losing Skinner if he walks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hasekperreault23

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I disagree. There is a collection of decent talent here that has completely abandoned playing any sort of structure. This roster is flat out underachieving.
No their isn’t. Their is Jack and Dahlin. Skinner Sam Montour and Risto maybe. Everyone else including both gts are ahl level.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Edit. I will give the you g guys a break, but the others are part of the problem .

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
No their isn’t. Their is Jack and Dahlin. Skinner Sam Montour and Risto maybe. Everyone else including both gts are ahl level.

I mean, that’s a decent core. Most teams don’t have a much deeper or talented core than that. Yes, we lack depth, but it shouldn’t be this type of disaster or anywhere close to this.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Undoubtedly, Botts effed up the O’Reilly deal and other things. That being said, this has always been a multi-year rebuild. He is doing the right things in Rochester, has had a couple good drafts and now will need to make some changes in the coaching staff and the roster.

Blockhead’s dismissal this year is counterproductive

Reactions: Hasek

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Dubas is the Leafs' GM.

As for Botteril, his redeeming quality appears to be his drafting thus far.

Team/roster building, not so much.

Name the five players who have garnered the most vitriol from fans over the past two seasons. I bet all five are Botteril additions.

Hunwick
Sobotka
Scandella (he makes this list based simply on his play this year)
Beaulieu
Nolan

Never mind guys like Pouliot and Griffith.

Until the roster is purged of this junk, the team will continue to struggle.

He's taken on a ton of bad players, forced objectively bad young NHLers in Mittelstadt and Thompson into roles they aren't ready for, etc.

Hopefully this is all part of some elaborate long game. His short game is terrible.

Last edited:

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I’d give Botts another year or two. He’s been making progress outside of the Housley hire and ROR (probably Kane too) trade/s (which likely cost the season).

Reactions: Hasek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad