Buffalo Sabres GM Candidates ?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
i'm starting to change my opinion on this.

the roster has some very obvious bright spots surrounded by absolute trash. you don't need a full season to separate the wheat from the chaff here. watch a couple game tapes from the last month and start making ****ing phone calls

That's what got me about last year as an evaluation year. Like, you have months of game film to watch from the Murray/Bylsma era... get after it and get an idea of what you have. I guess I'm very much an early adopter around things hockey, I don't need to see it over and over and over again to know what I like or don't like in a player. I thinslice the shit out of it.

Reactions: Baccus

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
That's what got me about last year as an evaluation year. Like, you have months of game film to watch from the Murray/Bylsma era... get after it and get an idea of what you have. I guess I'm very much an early adopter around things hockey, I don't need to see it over and over and over again to know what I like or don't like in a player. I thinslice the **** out of it.

I can go watch a minor midget game and within 10 minutes know who can play and contribute moving forward.

An evaluation period is a load of BS. If you don't know what you have going in you are not right for the position.

My biggest issue with Botts is he came in and declared he had a vision of a specific system and thus hired Housley because he matched the system. Then he gave Housley a lineup unable to execute this system. Housley is not experienced/good enough to alter systems to fit the lineup he has and thus we have two straight years of garbage on ice.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I don't think I am convinced Botterill needs to be replaced, though that opinion could change if he sticks with Housley.
I'm not at all convinced. Housley definitely has to go, no question of that. Botterill, I believe has a plan for the roster and we haven't even reached the middle of what that entails.

Reactions: sabresnyper

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I'm not at all convinced. Housley definitely has to go, no question of that. Botterill, I believe has a plan for the roster and we haven't even reached the middle of what that entails.
What's the plan? What has he done to put the plan in motion?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

As I said, I'm not convinced, but that doesn't mean I can't be convinced. My issue is many of the moves he has made, my view at the time of them being made to now, my view now has not changed all that much. I also see mitigating circumstances that could not have possibly been predicted. I hesitate to bring up examples as it requires rehashing old discussions. There haven't been many compelling arguments made as to why he's bad and needs to go, but the evidence is growing.

Lots of things did not work out and how he adjusts to that very much has me taking a wait and see approach, mainly because I do believe the act of replacing him would set the team back.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Building through drafting and the Amerks for one. Developing talent and moving them up to the NHL. That appears to be working.
It won't appear to be working until the Sabres are experiencing success, a substantial reason for which is through their young prospects from Rochester etc. being good NHL players and producing like it.

Don't get me wrong, I've loved watching Tim's draft products on the Sabres this year, and they're better than Jason's roster trash, but I need to see 20+ goal scorers(from Alex, Casey, Tage, Olofsson etc.) being integral to wins over the span of an entire year before I declare the model "working." Not marginally enjoying brief flashes in limited roles that provide hope, while doing nothing to alter an abysmal W/L record.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
What's the plan? What has he done to put the plan in motion?

As disappointing as Botterill has been, a GM really needs longer than 2 years. Since 2014, we partially built a "heavy" roster in the mold of the Kings. Then Botterill comes in and completely disassembles that roster, moving it toward a lineup that emphasizes speed. The Skinner and Montour acquisitions were effective, and I would really like to see how this roster performs with a better head coach. The talent level should have us closer to a playoff position.

Reactions: BananaSquad

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
As disappointing as Botterill has been, a GM really needs longer than 2 years. Since 2014, we partially built a "heavy" roster in the mold of the Kings. Then Botterill comes in and completely disassembles that roster, moving it toward a lineup that emphasizes speed. The Skinner and Montour acquisitions were effective, and I would really like to see how this roster performs with a better head coach. The talent level should have us closer to a playoff position.
People really need to stop comparing what the Sabres have been with the team that lead the league in all 5on5 metrics for half a decade straight.

We really should try to be like those Kings teams though. As should 30 other teams.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Larry Brooks says Stevie Y may have interest in the NYR gig. Maybe his return to Detroit isn't set in stone.

President/GM with Pat Verbeek as Associate GM and a Pegula jet to fly him back and forth to Detroit.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Larry Brooks says Stevie Y may have interest in the NYR gig. Maybe his return to Detroit isn't set in stone.

President/GM with Pat Verbeek as Associate GM and a Pegula jet to fly him back and forth to Detroit.

This is where Pegula bucks should matter... offer him more money than he could ever imagine, and tell him he can hire as many people as he wants for however much he wants...

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
This is where Pegula bucks should matter... offer him more money than he could ever imagine, and tell him he can hire as many people as he wants for however much he wants...

This is where you need a legend like Bowman in Pegula's ear telling him that this is a franchise defining move.

Pegula seems like a great guy but his biggest downfall has not having a top end senior hockey advisor to steer him in the right direction.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
This is where you need a legend like Bowman in Pegula's ear telling him that this is a franchise defining move.

Pegula seems like a great guy but his biggest downfall has not having a top end senior hockey advisor to steer him in the right direction.

Yea, he’s been a businessman with businessmen around him.... convincing him to build hockey heaven with 5 star restaurants and international events...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad