Confirmed with Link: Buffalo Sabres Buy Out Christian Ehrhoff (Signs with PIT 1 yr $4 million)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
He's not crap, but he's gonna want damn near Suter money, and he is crap by comparison. I'm not buying that Niskanen can produce like he did without Malkin and Crosby. His point totals weren't even that impressive, even with Letang out much of the season.

I don't see the point in paying much more for a guy with a RH shot.

I'm okay with Boyle on a short term deal, but it just seems like Ehrhoff fell into our lap and it's disappointing to read Khan's comments, if true....

Uhm, Suter money = 13 years, 98M. Niskanen money = 7 years, 40-45M.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Seems odd that they'd just back down like that. An obvious upgrade to our blueline. I think this shows how badly Holland dislikes trading roster players.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
my sole hope today is we strike out on boyle and hollands deliberate plan makes us worse as we panuc and throw too much money at a more garbage player, perhaps quincey...

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I've got a brilliant idea for you, Holland: sign the guy, and if the prospects have all panned out after three seasons, TRADE HIM!

What about the concept of making trades is so unbe****inglievably difficult for this fool to understand?

This is what ****ing blows my mind. Having a logjam is only bad when it's a logjam of crap. Like that one team who had a logjam of crappy depth guys like Samuelsson, Tootoo, and Cleary.

Holland doesn't have an ounce of creativity in his body.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
my sole hope today is we strike out on boyle and hollands deliberate plan makes us worse as we panuc and throw too much money at a more garbage player, perhaps quincey...

So now that a player you wanted isn't going to be signed here, you want your favorite team to get considerably worse just out of spite for Holland?

That's logical.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm actually fine with Holland refusing to give Ehrhoff 5 years. I don't think he's the solution for us and in 3-4 years that contract could look pretty bad.

However, Holland needs to land one of Niskanen or Boyle for me to accept that he didn't compromise on Ehrhoff. We're on the short list for all 3 guys, missing out on all of them would be a disaster.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

You can hope all you want that striking out makes us worse but as you've seen in the past it doesn't mean Holland is going to 100% make a trade.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
You can hope all you want that striking out makes us worse but as you've seen in the past it doesn't mean Holland is going to 100% make a trade.

Holland striking out wouldn't make the team bad enough to be a non-playoff team, barring injuries as bad as last year, anyway. No point in hoping he strikes out, his record and current and foreseeable standing within the organization is unshakeable. He's earned himself a long, long, LONG leash, and rightfully so. Just because he doesn't do everything we want doesn't mean we should hope the team is awful.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
So now that a player you wanted isn't going to be signed here, you want your favorite team to get considerably worse just out of spite for Holland?

That's logical.

sometimes u have to get worse to get better long term

I think boyle is a mistake. I am not sure why you would think any move holland makes could make us considerably worse, unless u dont agree with them.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
sometimes u have to get worse to get better long term

I think boyle is a mistake. I am not sure why you would think any move holland makes could make us considerably worse, unless u dont agree with them.

If Holland strikes out on every defenseman on the market and re-signs Kyle Quincey, that will make the team significantly worse. We will essentially be going with the same defensive unit that was manhandled by Boston in the playoffs.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If Holland strikes out on every defenseman on the market and re-signs Kyle Quincey, that will make the team significantly worse. We will essentially be going with the same defensive unit that was manhandled by Boston in the playoffs.

absolutely, but thats the type of move I expect, typical holland.

I dislike doing the same thing every summer expecting different results

either get better longterm or go with the kids

no more boyles, modanos, sammys, clearys et al

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Why is everyone talking about age as a negative with a potential 5 year contract for Ehrhoff? That would take him through age 36. It would literally be the perfect length.

...or are people going to ignore that Gonchar, Zidlicky, Chara, Timonen, Streit, Boyle, Visnovsky, etc have all been much more than competent at that age? These aren't guys that use their bodies as sacrificial lambs each night; puck movers generally have longevity.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Why is everyone talking about age as a negative with a potential 5 year contract for Ehrhoff? That would take him through age 36. It would literally be the perfect length.

...or are people going to ignore that Gonchar, Zidlicky, Chara, Timonen, Streit, Boyle, Visnovsky, etc have all been much more than competent at that age? These aren't guys that use their bodies as sacrificial lambs each night; puck movers generally have longevity.

Who is everyone?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Yeah, Niskanen has one decent season north of 40 points where he has the most TOI among PIT d-men, playing alongside Crosby, Malki and Neal. He's worth a long-term deal? Meanwhile Ehrhoff has three 40+ point seasons and had one 50 point season before going to the tire fire in Buffalo.

The right handed shot things is nice and all but if Niskanen couldn't top 50 points playing with Crosby and Malkin will he ever be a 50+ point d-man? I'm not sure that's likely to happen.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
We're actually going after garbageman Boyle, aren't we?

I'd definitely take Boyle over Niskanen. Boyle is a proven 50+ point d-man and you can sign him for 2-3 years tops. He'd immediately improve our gawd awful power play and could be hidden at even strength to give him easier defensive assignments.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I'd definitely take Boyle over Niskanen. Boyle is a proven 50+ point d-man and you can sign him for 2-3 years tops. He'd immediately improve our gawd awful power play and could be hidden at even strength to give him easier defensive assignments.

I'll cave and say if we get either Boyle or Niskanen I'll be somewhat satisfied given it's over Quincey. However, a 7 year deal for Niskanen at near ~6m scares the **** out of me.

I think Ehrhoff is the best choice, I just don't think he's going to be incredibly better than either of these guys for next year and beyond.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I'll cave and say if we get either Boyle or Niskanen I'll be somewhat satisfied given it's over Quincey. However, a 7 year deal for Niskanen at near ~6m scares the **** out of me.

I think Ehrhoff is the best choice, I just don't think he's going to be incredibly better than either of these guys for next year and beyond.

Niskanen's career high in points prior to last season was 35. He's pretty well developed at this point being 27 years old, so you are offering a 7 year deal based on one solid year of offensive production. I sure hope someone outbids us on Niskanen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln