Confirmed with Link: Buffalo Sabres Buy Out Christian Ehrhoff (Signs with PIT 1 yr $4 million)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Niskanen's career high in points prior to last season was 35. He's pretty well developed at this point being 27 years old, so you are offering a 7 year deal based on one solid year of offensive production. I sure hope someone outbids us on Niskanen.

27 is considered young for a defenseman, however. They tend to peak late if memory serves.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
I'm actually fine with Holland refusing to give Ehrhoff 5 years. I don't think he's the solution for us and in 3-4 years that contract could look pretty bad.

However, Holland needs to land one of Niskanen or Boyle for me to accept that he didn't compromise on Ehrhoff. We're on the short list for all 3 guys, missing out on all of them would be a disaster.

I'm expecting us to miss out on all three because what they're asking for doesn't fit into Holland's indistinct master plan. He's seemingly now all about building through the draft and not at all through free agency or trade, whereas before the lockout the opposite was true. If the free agents he wants don't conform to his designs, then well, sir, they just won't be getting the opportunity to play for this team! Yarr!

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I'd definitely take Boyle over Niskanen. Boyle is a proven 50+ point d-man and you can sign him for 2-3 years tops. He'd immediately improve our gawd awful power play and could be hidden at even strength to give him easier defensive assignments.

Did you happen to watch the Kings vs Sharks series? Boyle was by far the slowest guy on the ice and was a negative player. He was getting burned left and right. That series alone guaranteed he wouldn't be resigned in San Jose.

Given how old and slow we already are, getting Boyle is just more of what we don't need.

We need SPEED. We need proven YOUTH.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm expecting us to miss out on all three because what they're asking for doesn't fit into Holland's indistinct master plan. He's seemingly now all about building through the draft and not at all through free agency or trade, whereas before the lockout the opposite was true. If the free agents he wants don't conform to his designs, then well, sir, they just won't be getting the opportunity to play for this team! Yarr!
Not many teams are succesfully built through free agency. It doesn't make sense to go crazy and overpay for whatever's out there. I'd prefer the trade route but that's tough too, if we give up Nyquist/Mantha/Jurco/Mrazek we're selling our future. Kenny's made a lot of mistakes in the past few years but the key is to avoid the kind of big mistakes that sink a team completely.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Yeah, Niskanen has one decent season north of 40 points where he has the most TOI among PIT d-men, playing alongside Crosby, Malki and Neal. He's worth a long-term deal? Meanwhile Ehrhoff has three 40+ point seasons and had one 50 point season before going to the tire fire in Buffalo.

The right handed shot things is nice and all but if Niskanen couldn't top 50 points playing with Crosby and Malkin will he ever be a 50+ point d-man? I'm not sure that's likely to happen.

With Niskanen's minutes and linemates Brendan Smith is a 45pt defenseman.

Fool's gold.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Did you happen to watch the Kings vs Sharks series? Boyle was by far the slowest guy on the ice and was a negative player. He was getting burned left and right. That series alone guaranteed he wouldn't be resigned in San Jose.

Given how old and slow we already are, getting Boyle is just more of what we don't need.

That's what I'm afraid of. Not so keen on signing him. We're better off directly getting the right player for the next years.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Yeah, he is available on a short term deal because he is old. Trust me, I'd prefer Ehrhoff but for some reason we're not willing to give him a 5 year deal. Niskanen could easily turn into Kyle Quincey 2.0 at $5-6 million per year. For 7 years! No thanks.

We don't trade roster players so we aren't getting a legit offensive d-man via trade. Given the limitations Ken Holland has put on the organization when it comes to using the tools available to most general managers we are apparently stuck with either Boyle or Niskanen.

I'd take Boyle because he's a proven PP QB, 50+ point guy, and might sign for 2 years. It's the lesser of all evils and we aren't becoming Cup contenders with either guy. Boyle simply fills a roster spot and helps keep the streak alive until the prospects are brought up to the big club.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Yeah, he is available on a short term deal because he is old. Trust me, I'd prefer Ehrhoff but for some reason we're not willing to give him a 5 year deal. Niskanen could easily turn into Kyle Quincey 2.0 at $5-6 million per year. For 7 years! No thanks.

We don't trade roster players so we aren't getting a legit offensive d-man via trade. Given the limitations Ken Holland has put on the organization when it comes to using the tools available to most general managers we are apparently stuck with either Boyle or Niskanen.

I'd take Boyle because he's a proven PP QB, 50+ point guy, and might sign for 2 years. It's the lesser of all evils and we aren't becoming Cup contenders with either guy. Boyle simply fills a roster spot and helps keep the streak alive until the prospects are brought up to the big club.

That's a good response, and if Boyle was just a few years younger, I would completely agree with you.

To me though, I just don't think Boyle can cut it as even as second pairing defenseman. He looked BRUTAL in the Kings series.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I dont understand how anyone thinks signing ehrhoff dosent make us contenders and uses that as rationale.

we arent top contenders period

ehroff isnt about next year only, he is about 3 years from now as well as years in between

boyle is 100% onlt about next year, he is a mistake

every move should be about 3 years from now

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
That's a good response, and if Boyle was just a few years younger, I would completely agree with you.

To me though, I just don't think Boyle can cut it as even as second pairing defenseman. He looked BRUTAL in the Kings series.

Yeah, I would bury him on the 3rd pair and make him your top PP QB. Short term solution.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Why doesn't Derek Morris get more consideration? Not a first day pick up perhaps but he's got good offensive skills, plays gritty and is a right handed d-man.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Yikes, I don't agree with that at all. In 3 years Datsyuk and Z may not be close to what they are now. Do what you can to win right now.

right but the guy has to help now and later because those two are old and getting older

adding a now only guy does nothing because we are not a true contender now but we want to be later/soon

so lets get better today but more focus on the future with that player.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Yikes, I don't agree with that at all. In 3 years Datsyuk and Z may not be close to what they are now. Do what you can to win right now.

Agreed. I don't think Holland actually has a plan to contend for a Cup anytime soon; from all appearances, he's perfectly content to simply contend for a playoff spot rather than take any risks.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Ehrhoff helps us win now too so not sure why that's a reason. Signing Ehrhoff would give us another kronwall and would drastically upgrade our D. .

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
I don't understand anything anymore. We can't be aggressive with Christian Ehrhoff's less than horrible demands, but we're prepared to get bent over on a one-hit-wonder in Niskanen? Granted, Niskanen isn't bad, he's been an Anton Stralman type since joining Pittsburgh... But gosh darnit, why can't executives ever learn from the ample history of free agency that signing a a guy based on ONE CAREER YEAR?

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Agreed. I don't think Holland actually has a plan to contend for a Cup anytime soon; from all appearances, he's perfectly content to simply contend for a playoff spot rather than take any risks.

That's what I've been saying. As long as he can squeak into the playoffs he can't keep people thinking they're legitimate contenders when they're actually not

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't understand anything anymore. We can't be aggressive with Christian Ehrhoff's less than horrible demands, but we're prepared to get bent over on a one-hit-wonder in Niskanen? Granted, Niskanen isn't bad, he's been an Anton Stralman type since joining Pittsburgh... But gosh darnit, why can't executives ever learn from the ample history of free agency that signing a a guy based on ONE CAREER YEAR?

Right-handed shot.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah, Ehrhoff didn't want to come to Detroit. Signs a 1 year deal with Pittsburgh while asking for 5 from Detroit?

I'm glad we didn't get him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad