Confirmed with Link: Buffalo Sabres Buy Out Christian Ehrhoff (Signs with PIT 1 yr $4 million)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Ummm wut? I think it's the exact opposite. Fans realize that players aren't lining up to play in Detroit anymore, but Ken Holland still hasn't quite figured that out yet.

Otherwise he wouldn't be low balling almost every FA he targets.

He didn't lowball anyone, he offered him the same AAV he was asking for he just won't sign him for the term he wants.

Personally I prefer 2 years of Boyle to 5 years of Ehrhoff. It leaves a lot more flexibility in bringing Sproul, Marchenko, Ouellet or Jensen into the fold.

It's not entitlement, it's the fact that Holland won't give Ehrhoff 5 years while he's trying to sign a 37 year old washed up Boyle. That's not entitlement, it's just illogical and infuriating.

Ehrhoff is the better player by virtue of age, but Boyle fits the teams needs far better. He's not as good as he used to be, but Boyle definitely isn't washed up.

He had 1 less pt than Datsyuk last season and would have led our defence in goals.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
When you factor Iginla in it makes us better, I don't disagree with that at all. However, Niskanen fits our needs a lot better then Ehrhoff.

Good effort DD but you're fighting a losing battle here. Let em rage.

I want the Hoff as well, but I can understand the rationale. Ehrhoff in 4 or 5 years will be in his twilight years when the team is transitioning to a much younger group. We have a bunch of good young kids that they don't want to block in favor of someone of declining usefulness. Plus depending on how they view DK and Smitty, they may feel those guys are on the cusp of being full time top 4 contributors and why block them with, again, someone whose best years are behind him. Boyle is 38 and will only be around for 2 years so won't block any of the kids, nor DK/Smitty. Niskanen is young enough that even if you give him a 7 year contract, the majority of it is going to take place during his prime. Plus Babs has a major hard-on for right-handers. So, all in all, not what I'd do, but I can understand it.

DatsyukianDeke*

You're right, it's Buffalo, so it's impressive he looked as good as he did.

Wings need a puck moving defenseman more than anything. Ehrhoff is the best available. It really is simple.

Yes of course, and he's going to get better as he ages. amirite?

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Keep ignoring my posts.

And all this time I thought I was replying to them.

I really don't know what else to say to someone who doesn't want Ehrhoff because he might block kids three years from now but feels Niskanen, the guy almost certainly looking for a seven year deal, would be a better fit.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Are you a frequent user on this board? I have seen quite a bit of blaming in the last couple days alone.

I am a relatively frequent user. Yeah I know people hate on him for losing out on Suter, but we know that he offered a perfectly reasonable deal and Minny just went crazy with those dual contracts. There was really nothing rational Holland could have done there. That's not his fault at all - I blame Parise for that fiasco.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I find myself in a postion where I'm equally annoyed by both the far left side and the far right side of the Holland debate.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Ehrhoff is the better player by virtue of age, but Boyle fits the teams needs far better. He's not as good as he used to be, but Boyle definitely isn't washed up.

He had 1 less pt than Datsyuk last season and would have led our defence in goals.

You serious? Datsyuk played half a season, what's the point of even bringing him up?

He doesn't fit our needs better because Ehrhoff is better than him at virtually everything at this stage of their careers.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
I am not defending him against not making moves, I am making a point to defend him about people that complain to complain about him such as you are doing. As I said, you type on hfboards like me for a reason.

I think people who complain about people complaining are just complaining to complain.

DatsyukianDeke*

Sure, so throw a lot of years at a guy who has had one good year playing with the best player in the world on the PP, or to a corpse on skates because he holds a stick the way you prefer. Makes perfect sense.

Is points all you look at? Niskanen has been solid for his entire 7 year career and it is why he is most sought after.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Yes of course, and he's going to get better as he ages. amirite?

What part of the 2-3 season window do you not understand? If Boyle can command 5 mil + at 37 I'm sure we could deal Ehrhoff when he's 35 or 36 if we really had to. Point is, you figure that out later when you have 2-3 more seasons of elite Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Give yourself the best possible chance to win.

DatsyukianDeke*

What part of the 2-3 season window do you not understand? If Boyle can command 5 mil + at 37 I'm sure we could deal Ehrhoff when he's 35 or 36 if we really had to. Point is, you figure that out later when you have 2-3 more seasons of elite Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Give yourself the best possible chance to win.

As I said, we think short term not long term which is why we type on here and make proposals.

Edit: As Octopus Thrower said, no point in debating this. Just let people keep raging, I will enjoy the read tomorrow morning before free agency.

:laugh:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Is points all you look at? Niskanen has been solid for his entire 7 year career and it is why he is most sought after.

Has been a fairly inconsistent player but took a big step forward.

We go nowhere without Datsyuk or Zetterberg healthy, if healthy would they not help Niskanen rack up points on the PP? This he is a product of stuff, while interesting doesn't always apply.

Niskanen was always believed to have significant offensive tools and his role with us would be very offensive in terms of some of his opportunities. We will see, I think this will be like the Matt Carle signing, he will do what he is supposed to do. He won't beat his contract in terms of performance but he also probably won't be a negative either.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Actually if you look at the quality of the competition they play against, Boyle played tougher minutes. Niskanen may appear solid to you, but the stats bore out that he's been treated with the kid gloves.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Then why did they make an offer for him during the season? Were we any less in need of a RHD then? :help:

Because they like Ehrhoff as a player... and with how crazy the recapture on his previous deal was, the Wings could likely have gotten Buffalo to retain 25-50% of the deal to limit their exposure.

So, Ehrhoff @ 2-3M AAV for 7 years is something that was attractive. Ehrhoff @ 5-6M for 5 years is less so.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
As I said, we think short term not long term which is why we type on here and make proposals.

Some GMs think about championships, not just keeping a playoff streak alive. You think we'll have a better shot at a Cup when Datsyuk is 39? Still failing to see how offering Ehrhoff 5 years would cripple us long term.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Hey guys, it's okay that we're signing Stephen Weiss for 5 years... I mean, I'm sure we could deal him three years into the deal...:sarcasm:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Hey guys, it's okay that we're signing Stephen Weiss for 5 years... I mean, I'm sure we could deal him three years into the deal...:sarcasm:

You could go into any signing and say "what if he's too injured to ever play?" No point in that.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

why they were willing to trade him when he had 7 years left on his deal?

weiss and ehrhoff situation aren't comparable.

if they were that worried about getting stuck with player that sucks and can't be moved, they'd have CBO'd franzen. because that deal will be bad at the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad