Confirmed with Link: Buffalo Sabres Buy Out Christian Ehrhoff (Signs with PIT 1 yr $4 million)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I am honored that my post helped make the title what it is. First thing that came to my mind hearing about this. First thing I'd scream at Kenny also.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Some GMs think about championships, not just keeping a playoff streak alive. You think we'll have a better shot at a Cup when Datsyuk is 39? Still failing to see how offering Ehrhoff 5 years would cripple us long term.

Yes. I do think we'll have a better shot at the Cup with a 39 year old Datsyuk. Because that means 29 year old Nyquist, 28 year old Tatar, 24 year old Mantha, etc.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Yes. I do think we'll have a better shot at the Cup with a 39 year old Datsyuk. Because that means 29 year old Nyquist, 28 year old Tatar, 24 year old Mantha, etc.

Right, so no more elite centers. And our #1 defenseman will also be 36 I believe. Doubtful.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
You serious? Datsyuk played half a season, what's the point of even bringing him up?

Ok then, he scored only 3 less than Tatar, in essentially the same amount of games.

He doesn't fit our needs better because Ehrhoff is better than him at virtually everything at this stage of their careers.

He absolutely fits our needs better. Both play the right side, but Boyle plays there naturally and Ehrhoff is a lefty who has converted to playing there, but his successful years in Vancouver were on the left side.

We need drastic help on the PP, Ehrhoff tallied just 1 PP goal last season playing almost the same amount of time as Boyle did with the extra man. Boyle tallied 6 goals 1 away from what would be the team lead on the Wings. Boyle also tallied more assists with the extra man as well

Most importantly though Boyle is willing to take a short term deal, and Ehrhoff is not.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Right, so no more elite centers. And our #1 defenseman will also be 36 I believe. Doubtful.

Our #1 defenceman might be a 27 year old Dekeyser, a 24 year old Sproul or a 23 year old Ouellet who got the opportunity to prove they were that good by virtue of Holland not signing a UFA this offseason to a contract that limits the rosters spots for prospects.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Kronwall will not be the Wings #1 D in four years. And honestly, the Wings made up a ton of ground on the rest of the league in the playoff race this year all while having zero healthy elite centers on the roster. They do need to find some skilled Cs to prepare for when Dats and Z call it quits... which is why the vast majority of their draftees in the draft like three days ago were centers.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ok then, he scored only 3 less than Tatar, in essentially the same amount of games.

He absolutely fits our needs better. Both play the right side, but Boyle plays there naturally and Ehrhoff is a lefty who has converted to playing there, but his successful years in Vancouver were on the left side.

We need drastic help on the PP, Ehrhoff tallied just 1 PP goal last season playing almost the same amount of time as Boyle did with the extra man. Boyle tallied 6 goals 1 away from what would be the team lead on the Wings. Boyle also tallied more assists with the extra man as well

Most importantly though Boyle is willing to take a short term deal, and Ehrhoff is not.

nope, he played with edler. on right side.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Our #1 defenceman might be a 27 year old Dekeyser, a 24 year old Sproul or a 23 year old Ouellet who got the opportunity to prove they were that good by virtue of Holland not signing a UFA this offseason to a contract that limits the rosters spots for prospects.

I would be willing to put good money that Dekeyser, Sproul nor Ouellet will be a #1 D-man. A lot of professional hockey teams have also put good money on this fact.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010

If there isn't enough space, then trade someone. Easy. Easy unless you're Holland, anyway, as he has never considered shedding dead weight by trade, nor indeed avoiding dead weight to begin with.

I would be willing to put good money that Dekeyser, Sproul nor Ouellet will be a #1 D-man. A lot of professional hockey teams have also put good money on this fact.

A lot of professional hockey teams have also put good money on DeKeyser, and Ouellet not being #1 D-men? And when did your prediction on that matter become fact?

And what's good money? I'll bet you $25 at 1:100 odds.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto

You probably would have made the same bet against Kronwall, Karlsson, Chara and almost every other #1 defenceman reaching that point when they were rookies or AHL players.

They all have potential to be #1's but if they don't get to play because we have all our spots filled we'll never know.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
On occasion he did, but if you watch video's from their final series vs Boston he was on the left as often as he was the right.

In the regular season he played on the left even more frequently.

his most frequent partner 10-11 season was edler. errorhoff played right side. then hamhuis. hoff played right side. then salo. hoff played left side. but he played almost 1400 mins that year (5on5), and less than 100 of them were with salo.

nucks were decimated with injuries against boston. hamhuis was out, ehrhoff himself had injury so they had to make some changes.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
If there isn't enough space, then trade someone. Easy. Easy unless you're Holland, anyway, as he has never considered shedding dead weight by trade, nor indeed avoiding dead weight to begin with.

If a player is "dead weight" who is going to trade for him?

Also it seems to me that Holland and Babcock fear that Ehrhoff will be dead weight by the end of that contract and by going with a player who will take a shorter deal they are avoiding the need to trade someone.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
You probably would have made the same bet against Kronwall, Karlsson, Chara and almost every other #1 defenceman reaching that point when they were rookies or AHL players.

They all have potential to be #1's but if they don't get to play because we have all our spots filled we'll never know.

dekeyser is older than karlsson.

dman is much harder to project so it's possible one of them blossoms into one. i think it's unlikely and very unlikely on dekyser and ouellet. sprould has chance but also bigger bust factor.

but it doesn't matter as unloading ehrhoff shouldn't be that hard. they can trade him, waive him, buy him out, sit him in the press box. cap is more than 80+ mil at that point it won't be that hard to get rid of him.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
he was throw in goligoski trade. most sought after bc he had very good this year, not bc of his track record.

His possession stats relative to his teammates have been great even dating back to his days in Dallas. Of course, its been while he was used on secondary pairings. But, he's been one of the best second pairing defenseman in the NHL for awhile- its just that he started tallying points on the PP only this past season to warrant media attention. I think he's legit in that role, but I'm not sure if that warrants $6 million+ a year. I'd prefer proven defenseman who have shown they can play against tough competition.

I imagine Detroit could use him on the top pairing with Kronwall so it'd be interesting to see how he'd do in a tougher role if he's signed.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
Also it seems to me that Holland and Babcock fear that Ehrhoff will be dead weight by the end of that contract and by going with a player who will take a shorter deal they are avoiding the need to trade someone.

They'll avoid risk all the way to repeated first-round losses. Holland has played it vastly too safe for too long.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
They'll avoid risk all the way to repeated first-round losses. Holland has played it vastly too safe for too long.

It seems to me they are taking quite the risk by passing on Ehrhoff and going with Boyle.

They are risking that a 38 year old still has enough legs to last 2 years, and that Ehrhoff won't embarass them by excelling elsewhere.

They are also risking that at least one of their 4 big defence prospects will be better than Ehrhoff 3 years from now.

That is assuming they don't land Niskanen, in which case they are risking that he'll continue to put up numbers like he did this past season and not return to his level of play in previous seasons.

If anything going with the best player available in Ehrhoff would probably be the least risky move they could have made.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
His possession stats relative to his teammates have been great even dating back to his days in Dallas. Of course, its been while he was used on secondary pairings. But, he's been one of the best second pairing defenseman in the NHL for awhile- its just that he started tallying points on the PP only this past season to warrant media attention.

I imagine Detroit could use him on the top pairing with Kronwall so it'd be interesting to see how he'd do in a tougher role if he's signed.

with injuries to letang and martin, he was top pairing guy for much of the year. other than that, he's never proven he can play that role and even this year played under 22 min per game.

i'm not convinced it's smart move to pay 40+ mil for a guy that has proven himself as only second pairing guy, though pretty good second pairing guy.

even pens used him as a third pairing guy until 12-13 season (though he arguably could've handled more).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It seems to me they are taking quite the risk by passing on Ehrhoff and going with Boyle.

They are risking that a 38 year old still has enough legs to last 2 years, and that Ehrhoff won't embarass them by excelling elsewhere.

They are also risking that at least one of their 4 big defence prospects will be better than Ehrhoff 3 years from now..

Which is way that really makes no sense to me.

crashman

What makes no sense to me is that they were apparently interested in trading for the guy when he had a contract that lasted 'til he was 39 or whatever, but now they don't want to give him more than 3 years as a UFA.

Niskanen is crap, we better not go all in on that guy for 7 years.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
What makes no sense to me is that they were apparently interested in trading for the guy when he had a contract that lasted 'til he was 39 or whatever, but now they don't want to give him more than 3 years as a UFA.

niskanen is good. i'm not sure if he's that good that i'd go all-in on him.

khan has mentioned few times that they may not be willing to go to bidding war.

i think we sign boyle and call it a day. that's my guess.

crashman

niskanen is good. i'm not sure if he's that good that i'd go all-in on him.

khan has mentioned few times that they may not be willing to go to bidding war.

i think we sign boyle and call it a day. that's my guess.

He's not crap, but he's gonna want damn near Suter money, and he is crap by comparison. I'm not buying that Niskanen can produce like he did without Malkin and Crosby. His point totals weren't even that impressive, even with Letang out much of the season.

I don't see the point in paying much more for a guy with a RH shot.

I'm okay with Boyle on a short term deal, but it just seems like Ehrhoff fell into our lap and it's disappointing to read Khan's comments, if true....

Bps21*

Well...if they traded for him he'd already received a lot of the cash and his cap hit was a set 4...and they wouldn't be on the hook if he retired anyway.

Signing him now probably at a larger cap hit...and certainly a lot more cash payout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad