Buffalo Sabres assets (Players, Picks) - Updated 6/26

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Wasn't it a conditional 2015 7th? With the condition being whether the Sabres were able to sign Samuels-Thomas.

A conditional pick, yes, but the conditions were never released, as far as I know. The idea that it hinged on signing Samuels-Thomas was purely speculative. It hasn't been confirmed.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
A conditional pick, yes, but the conditions were never released, as far as I know. The idea that it hinged on signing Samuels-Thomas was purely speculative. It hasn't been confirmed.

Not confirmed, but rather logical given he was headed for UFA status on 8/15 had he not been signed.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think the Jets get the 7th round draft pick if he signed, but it converts to a 6th round draft pick if he scores a hat trick in Tuesday night's scrimmage.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@kevinoDandC

Eric Locke, who turned down an AHL contract with #Amerks in Oct. and returned to OHL, is an unrestricted free agent. Not #Sabres property.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Not confirmed, but rather logical given he was headed for UFA status on 8/15 had he not been signed.

I think the Jets get the 7th round draft pick if he signed, but it converts to a 6th round draft pick if he scores a hat trick in Tuesday night's scrimmage.

Don't know how heavily I can rely on sabrenoise for official content - especially with typos, awful grammar, and a lack of correct spelling of the man's name - but their wording seems to indicate what you're essentially deducing here:

With days remaining on the Winnipeg Jets having the rights to to Samuels-Thoms – it didn’t appear that they were going to be able to sign the collegiate prospect. With no harm in trying – the Buffalo Sabres sent a conditional draft pick to the Winnipeg Jets for the rights of Jordan Samuels-Thomas back on July 9th.

Just three days later, the Buffalo Sabres will now send their seventh round pick in the 2015 draft to the Winnipeg Jets, as they have come to terms with Jordan Samuels-Thomas on an entry level contract.

http://sabrenoise.com/2014/07/12/jordan-samuels-thomas-signs-entry-level-contract/

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
@BNHarrington said:
Amerks coach Chadd Cassidy just said Matt Hackett's knee injury will keep him out until at least December or January. #Sabres

Haven't seen this mentioned yet. Unfortunate.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
Actually, it could be a blessing in disguise. It'll allow Markov the chance to prove that he his ready for the next level. Yeah he didn't look great last night, but I think he takes the opportunity to prove himself and runs with it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Haven't seen this mentioned yet. Unfortunate.

This was expected given it was ACL/MCL injuries. That usually takes 6 months or more to be healthy.

Given Hackett has to clear waivers to go to Rochester. He starts on the IR and then In January they give him a conditioning/rehab assignment (unsure what the rules on this is in terms of weeks or games)

When he appears game ready they use him at the NGL level as a back up and trade the one who lost the job as a starter.

TimMcClure*

ELC Contracts

How much do 2nd and later round picks get for their 3 year ELC deals?

And a top prospect like Grigorenko, how much will he get paid if he plays in the AHL?

TimMcClure*

Catennacci and Sundher's contracts are almost the same, 610K for NHL, yet Sundher's AHL salary is 268K and Catennacci's only 195K?

And Larrson's AHL salary is only 105K yet his NHL deal is quite a bit higher than Catennaci and Sunher's.

No wonder Grigorenko's happy, kid is going to make 850K this year in Rochester.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Catennacci and Sundher's contracts are almost the same, 610K for NHL, yet Sundher's AHL salary is 268K and Catennacci's only 195K?

And Larrson's AHL salary is only 105K yet his NHL deal is quite a bit higher than Catennaci and Sunher's.

No wonder Grigorenko's happy, kid is going to make 850K this year in Rochester.

Eh? This coming year...

Larsson's AHL salary is $67,500/year and NHL salary is $810,000 (+ bonuses)
Catennacci's AHL salary is $65,000/year and NHL salary is $575,000 (+ bonuses)
Sundher's AHL salary is $65,000/year and NHL salary is $575,000 (+ bonuses)

Finally, Grigorenko's AHL salary is $70,000/year and NHL salary is $925,000 (+ bonuses)

Yes, when they are drafted affects their ELCs.

TimMcClure*

LOL doh -i really didn't look hard enough, the star icon is the 'bonus eligible' amount. So what are NHL teams allowed to give a kid on an ELC as far as bonus money and is the bonus money only a one time thing when the kid is signed?

TimMcClure*

Schedule B bonuses

However, a player and club may agree to any compensation for the Schedule B categories listed blow, provided the maximum aggregate amount does not exceed $2 million. That means up to $2 million can be earned by achieving just one Schedule B bonus criteria (ie. Calder Trophy win). Schedule B bonuses paid by the team count against the team's salary cap.

So if a team gives a kid a 2 million dollar bonus for winning the Calder that money goes against the team's cap the next season or it's retroactive to the cap for the season the bonus was earned in?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Bonuses count against the cap in the year in which they are paid out unless the bonuses paid out cause the team to go over the cap in which case they count against the cap the next season. That's why, for example, the Bruins have a significant cap hit (almost $5M) due to bonus overages from this season

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

Today during a press conference Murray commented that the conditional 7th may not move, which indicates that the condition was not Samuels-Thomas signing and is more likely related to games played. http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1373&id=628652&lang=en (in the last 30 seconds or so)

To add: my point is not that we should disregard speculation or "logic" entirely, but we should recognize it as speculation. But just because speculation is reasonable does not make it a fact, and we should not treat it as a fact until it is confirmed as such

Last edited:

Bps21*

Couldn't one also interpret "may not move" as it's a 7th now...but it may not move if conditions aren't met? Like...it may move if he plays x games in the nhl. As in become higher.

Wouldn't it be easier to ask him?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Couldn't one also interpret "may not move" as it's a 7th now...but it may not move if conditions aren't met? Like...it may move if he plays x games in the nhl. As in become higher.

That could also be true. It could have been nothing if we didn't sign him, a 7th if we did, and a 6th or 5th if he plays X NHL games this year. I actually don't blame our media for not asking him in the particular instance because just when he said this they ended the presser, but they should have brought it up earlier in the conference.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I don't understand why all conditions of trades are not made public at the time the league approves the trade.

Fans have an interest in knowing, and I don't see any reason why teams would have any interest in keping it secret.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

That could also be true. It could have been nothing if we didn't sign him, a 7th if we did, and a 6th or 5th if he plays X NHL games this year. I actually don't blame our media for not asking him in the particular instance because just when he said this they ended the presser, but they should have brought it up earlier in the conference.

He says, and I quote "it's a conditional 7th that may not move". I think it's pretty unambiguous that it is possible no pick might move. It could conceivably become a higher draft pick, but based on how he says it, I doubt that's the case. We don't know for sure, though.

Obviously it would be nice if the Buffalo media could just get this information, since it shouldn't be too hard to get, but stuff like that has never been their strong suit. It took about a week for the complete set of conditions to come out on the Miller trade, right? Several months for the conditions on the pick in the Vanek trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad