Buffalo Sabres assets (Players, Picks) - Updated 6/26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Should be up-to-date, pending information on the Mitchell trade. Tomorrow I will clean things up a bit and add links for each player to the different capgeek-esque sites.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I count 48 contracts based on Rob's table in the OP--but that could be 47 based on that one footnoted contract. Is Ullmark the footnoted contract? I ask because I want to know how many available spots we have for college UFAs.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I count 48 contracts based on Rob's table in the OP--but that could be 47 based on that one footnoted contract. Is Ullmark the footnoted contract? I ask because I want to know how many available spots we have for college UFAs.

The Sabres currently have 48 players under contract. Of those 48, either 44 or 45 of them count against the 50 contract limit. Age 18 and 19 players who have played fewer than 11 NHL games in a season, and who have been returned to junior, do not count against the limit. Unfortunately, it is not entirely clear what "age 18" or "age 19" mean in this context, as it is not explicitly defined. Feel free to skip to the final paragraph if you only want to see my conclusions.

There are two primary definitions of player age explicitly given in the CBA. One is in Article 9 Entry Level Compensation:
9.2 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.
Using this definition, players exempt from the 50 contract limit would include Reinhart, Baptiste, Bailey and Dupuy. Even though Dupuy turned 20 before signing his ELC, as he was 19 on September 15, he counts as a 19 year old by that article.

The other main definition is given in Article 13 Waivers and Loans of Players to Minor League Clubs:
2. For purposes of this Article, "age 18" means a Player reaching his eighteenth birthday between January 1 next preceding the Entry Draft and September 15 next following the Entry Draft, both dates included; "age 19" means a Player reaching his nineteenth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 20" means a Player reaching his twentieth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; and "age 21" means a Player reaching his twenty-first birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft. (note that, though it is not explicitly stated, the Entry Draft being referred to must be the previous one, otherwise the entire thing makes no sense)
By this definition, only three players would not count against the 50 contract limit - Reinhart, Baptiste and Bailey. Dupuy would count as an age 20 player, being born in 1994.

It is also possible, mind you, that another definition entirely is in mind in this section. However, that said, Reinhart, Bailey and Baptiste are all unambiguously exempt from the 50 contract limit. Dupuy may or may not be. Linus Ullmark counts against the 50 contract limit as he is too old. William Carrier (while 19 by some definitions and 20 by others) also counts agains the 50 contract limit as he is playing in the AHL, not juniors.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The Sabres currently have 48 players under contract. Of those 48, either 44 or 45 of them count against the 50 contract limit. Age 18 and 19 players who have played fewer than 11 NHL games in a season, and who have been returned to junior, do not count against the limit. Unfortunately, it is not entirely clear what "age 18" or "age 19" mean in this context, as it is not explicitly defined. Feel free to skip to the final paragraph if you only want to see my conclusions.

There are two primary definitions of player age explicitly given in the CBA. One is in Article 9 Entry Level Compensation:
9.2 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.
Using this definition, players exempt from the 50 contract limit would include Reinhart, Baptiste, Bailey and Dupuy. Even though Dupuy turned 20 before signing his ELC, as he was 19 on September 15, he counts as a 19 year old by that article.

The other main definition is given in Article 13 Waivers and Loans of Players to Minor League Clubs:
2. For purposes of this Article, "age 18" means a Player reaching his eighteenth birthday between January 1 next preceding the Entry Draft and September 15 next following the Entry Draft, both dates included; "age 19" means a Player reaching his nineteenth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; "age 20" means a Player reaching his twentieth birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft; and "age 21" means a Player reaching his twenty-first birthday in the calendar year of the Entry Draft. (note that, though it is not explicitly stated, the Entry Draft being referred to must be the previous one, otherwise the entire thing makes no sense)
By this definition, only three players would not count against the 50 contract limit - Reinhart, Baptiste and Bailey. Dupuy would count as an age 20 player, being born in 1994.

It is also possible, mind you, that another definition entirely is in mind in this section. However, that said, Reinhart, Bailey and Baptiste are all unambiguously exempt from the 50 contract limit. Dupuy may or may not be. Linus Ullmark counts against the 50 contract limit as he is too old. William Carrier (while 19 by some definitions and 20 by others) also counts agains the 50 contract limit as he is playing in the AHL, not juniors.

Thanks! It doesn't sound like they'll be too constrained when it comes to college UFAs.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Carrier does. He counts as 18 when he signed so he has two slide years. Only NHL games played matter when it comes to the entry level slide. But, yes, Reinhart, Bailey and Baptiste are the only other players whose contracts slide.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Can some people give me their opinions on the following player: Kevin Sundher

Will he ever make the NHL?

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Can some people give me their opinions on the following player: Kevin Sundher

Will he ever make the NHL?

Highly unlikely. He can barely stay in the AHL right now.

He would have to work extremely hard and climb the depth chart to even get a chance at a call up.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
What's up with Grigorenko? Full season in the Ahl and hope for marked improvement? I can't see murray bringing him up to the nhl unless he had no other choice. Trade him? What would we get?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
What's up with Grigorenko? Full season in the Ahl and hope for marked improvement? I can't see murray bringing him up to the nhl unless he had no other choice. Trade him? What would we get?

Grigs will be subject to waivers next year so he's done with the AHL.

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Does our 2nd rounder this year stay at 31 or does edmonton get the first pick in every round now?

No. The lottery is just for the 1st round. We lost the lottery last year to Florida, but we picked Lemieux at 31, for example.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Question for this years draft. If the Islanders win and the Blues lose in the first round, what does that do for their 1st round draft picks?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Question for this years draft. If the Islanders win and the Blues lose in the first round, what does that do for their 1st round draft picks?

Unless the Islanders make the conference finals and the Blues don't, the Islanders pick is before the Blues one. Still, where each pick is slotted depends on which teams make the conference finals (the cup winner picks 30th, the cup loser 29th, the two teams that lose in the conference finals 27th and 28th, then any remaining division winners by regular season finish, then all of the other playoff teams by regular season finish)

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Unless the Islanders make the conference finals and the Blues don't, the Islanders pick is before the Blues one. Still, where each pick is slotted depends on which teams make the conference finals (the cup winner picks 30th, the cup loser 29th, the two teams that lose in the conference finals 27th and 28th, then any remaining division winners by regular season finish, then all of the other playoff teams by regular season finish)

Thanks for the info!

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I think that a college UFA signed for 15/16 season count against that contract limit for 15/16--not this years. Same true if they sign some CHL free agents or the CHL/college players whose rights they still hold.

IIRC , with the kids signed leaving the CHL after their season then go to Rochester (Reinhart, Baptiste, Bailey) and playing for Rochester it doesn't count against the 50. They sign them to some sort of tryout contract that covers the remainder of the season in Rochester.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I think that a college UFA signed for 15/16 season count against that contract limit for 15/16--not this years. Same true if they sign some CHL free agents or the CHL/college players whose rights they still hold.
That should be a given. Obviously a player who isn't actually under contract yet doesn't count against the contract limit yet

IIRC , with the kids signed leaving the CHL after their season then go to Rochester (Reinhart, Baptiste, Bailey) and playing for Rochester it doesn't count against the 50. They sign them to some sort of tryout contract that covers the remainder of the season in Rochester.
Players being reassigned from the CHL don't count, because the clause about being returned to juniors does not stipulate that they must remain in juniors. The bolded is patently false, however. The AHL transactions page is enough to show that. Reinhart did not sign any sort of tryout with Rochester. His contract was reassigned from Kootenay to Rochester. Players who are under NHL contracts, which includes players who player fewer than 10 games before being returned to junior, do not get tryouts to play in the minors. Despite how it's frequently talked about, the entry level slide does not prevent a contract from starting any given year, rather it extends an ELC by a year, creating a four or five year ELC.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Added Rodrigues, though I don't know the actual salary. I assumed that two years means 2015-16 and 2016-17. At any rate it's about time to start overhauling everything for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad