GDT: Buffalo Prospects Challenge

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Dan Bylsma was there, which I thought was odd since Buffalo didn't play tonight. He had a short conversation with Sabres studio host Brian Duff and then disappeared.

kiwidevil

Did Zacha even look a level above anyone really, in either game?

Great to hear about Blandisi and Goulet at least.

You can talk it any way you want that these games don't mean much etc. But the eye test on a "high skill" prospect is a big thing. And for the only compliment really so far to be "he looked good defensively" is disappointing so far. Hopefully he is saving himself for the real camp or something.

kevinchoi

Sep 22, 2014
Newark
"Hrabarenka is a beast, he just tosses dudes that get to close to him, I just wish he knew how to play hockey. A few times he wound up for a bi slapped but either shanked it or it got tipped, but I have a feeling he has a cannon of a shot."

He is a big kid but i followed him in albany last season and i cant even remember how many times i watched him fan on shots and shank them into the corner...hes got some offensive upside but gets caught alot and has trouble in his own end. not sure if his shot is quite gelinas level either

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Did Zacha even look a level above anyone really, in either game?

Great to hear about Blandisi and Goulet at least.

You can talk it any way you want that these games don't mean much etc. But the eye test on a "high skill" prospect is a big thing. And for the only compliment really so far to be "he looked good defensively" is disappointing so far. Hopefully he is saving himself for the real camp or something.

When I watch Zacha, I see a serious skill level. His passing is tape-to-tape and he skates the puck up smoothly.

I think he is just lacking an identity. He's got the skill; he just needs to figure out how to best play within that skill. Maybe he would work better playing like Kovalchuk, maybe Getzlaf, etc., but there just seems to be no identity to his game yet.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Sounds like the Devils were much better tonight. That is good to hear, and I appreciate the live updates, even though I didn't end up reading them until now.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Thanks everyone for the updates. As I said earlier Boston's prospects aren't as good as Buffalo and therefore a more balanced game. Luck has a way and they were lucky to win.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Thanks everyone for the updates. As I said earlier Boston's prospects aren't as good as Buffalo and therefore a more balanced game. Luck has a way and they were lucky to win.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
When I watch Zacha, I see a serious skill level. His passing is tape-to-tape and he skates the puck up smoothly.

I think he is just lacking an identity. He's got the skill; he just needs to figure out how to best play within that skill. Maybe he would work better playing like Kovalchuk, maybe Getzlaf, etc., but there just seems to be no identity to his game yet.

I agree 100%. He really isn't sure what he is and he isn't going to do anything until he finally figures it out. He has all the tools in his belt, now he just has to figure out how to use them to put everything together. People like to blame the smaller ice, but I have a tough time believing that. He's played enough games to get adjusted. He just doesn't really know how he should play to reach his full potential, yet.

But I do find it a little worrisome that he couldn't score in our prospect game or in the two challenge games. Lets hope he finds the net in the next game he plays.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Wasn't the scouting report on Zacha that he was highly skilled, but still pretty raw? Wouldn't that kind of back up how he's performed so far? Not every top 10 pick is going to look great right away. And if he's not ready, no big deal. Let him play in Sarnia and figure out what kind of player he is.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Let's see how camp goes but I still think it's best that Zacha spends another season somewhere other than in the NHL.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The only guys on our squad I felt that had bad games were Zacha and Jacobs. Everyone else played pretty well. Jacobs gambled with big hits/pinches and every time he made the wrong decision which left his partner out to dry.

I don't think Hrabarenka has a future in the NHL, he's kind of a pylon. It's amusing to watch him bully opposing forwards and Hulk Smash everything he sees, but he's just not very smart. I wish he had any semblance of hockey IQ, if he did then he might be a decent player.

As I said before, Colton White was the big dark horse guy I hadn't expected to notice but really impressed me. Matt Lorito too.

Black and Coleman both looked like they were still college hockey players IMO, I wouldn't expect either to make the roster this year unless they step their games up.

I definitely understand the hype around Blandisi now, his skating is superb and the play seemingly follows him everywhere he goes. Quenneville, what can I say, he was the best player on the ice all night long.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Yeah, I'll wait to see what Zacha does in camp, but right now, I'm leaning toward it being best to send him back to Sarnia for another year. I'm not really worried about him, because he is very young and still has developing to do. I think he'll be a good forward for the Devils down the line, but at the present, he doesn't seem ready for that responsibility, and that's okay. He was just drafted a couple of months ago, so we're going to have to be patient with him even if that is hard to do when the Devils are so starved for some offensive hope.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Blandisi from Quenneville
Lorito from Zacha and Coleman
Blandisi from Novak and Quenneville

Post game interviews and Devils goals are up on our website.

http://video.devils.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=745&id=834086&lang=en&navid=DL|NJD|home

Sorry, I meant the boxscore to see how many shots each player had

Anyway, hearing everyone's critique and knowing the type of player he is, Zacha really seems to be better suited for wing. A speedy, strong, shot first player with questionable hockey sense shouldnt be tasked with being a pivot.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Not surprised to hear Blandisi played well. I'll keep on pushing that he'll be on our opening day roster. He's young, hungry, speedy and skilled - a lot of checkmarks there for the new movement Shero and Hynes are tying to instill.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I can live with these lines:
Cammy-Zajac-Palimeri
Elias-Henrique-John Q
Rutoo-JJ-Manteau
Kalinin-O'Brien-Gio/Tootoo

Until JQ shows he needs to go back down. I hope he shows he belongs.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I can live with these lines:
Cammy-Zajac-Palimeri
Elias-Henrique-John Q
Rutoo-JJ-Manteau
Kalinin-O'Brien-Gio/Tootoo

Until JQ shows he needs to go back down. I hope he shows he belongs.

JQ is not close to NHL ready, he will be in the WHL this season where he belongs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad