GDT: Buffalo Prospects Challenge

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Is there anyone in the NHL you could make a ballpark comparison to as far as skill and style?

It's tough for me to say as I'm not great at NHL comparisons but I believe he has the tools to be a good one, he just needs to put it all together in the NHL. This website has Petr Sykora as a comparison (Also has Zacha as Thornton :laugh:) http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...-five-players-to-watch-not-named-mcdavid.html

Shot:
00:15
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/0573f4eafda3cb73c5c309c6959dd556
1:30/1:45
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/8ea73d063c9182f1472343e0f3ae2203

IQ
00:45
Hands
1:25
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/b63c4ba7362016831df028da7092a429

Some other highlights:
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/ac967da8f445734116bfc42ef9065d22

I can't wait to see him in preseason and hope he sticks out and makes the roster.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Yep, the Devils are essentially devoid of playmakers. Boucher and Gomez might have worked, but obviously that's not a possibility now.

Which pretty much makes Boucher useless. I don't think he can create enough offense by himself, and the rest of his game is very average. He's like a mini-Ryder.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
It's tough for me to say as I'm not great at NHL comparisons but I believe he has the tools to be a good one, he just needs to put it all together in the NHL. This website has Petr Sykora as a comparison (Also has Zacha as Thornton :laugh:) http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...-five-players-to-watch-not-named-mcdavid.html

Shot:
00:15
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/0573f4eafda3cb73c5c309c6959dd556
1:30/1:45
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/8ea73d063c9182f1472343e0f3ae2203

IQ
00:45
Hands
1:25
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/b63c4ba7362016831df028da7092a429

Some other highlights:
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/ac967da8f445734116bfc42ef9065d22

I can't wait to see him in preseason and hope he sticks out and makes the roster.

Great, thanks a lot for the insight! I'm glad the Devils were able to grab him. The team needs to produce a couple of "unexpected" forwards (like Henrique) to go with any top picks.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Which pretty much makes Boucher useless. I don't think he can create enough offense by himself, and the rest of his game is very average. He's like a mini-Ryder.

Yeah, that's a big reason why I have my doubts about Boucher ever contributing to the Devils in the NHL. I have more faith in Matteau's skill set translating.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Great stuff. I'm not concerned about the overage stigma, I just know that was a knock on him. I expected him to start at Albany, but if he has the drive and can impress the coaches enough to make the team then great for him.

Watching him combined with knowing he was basically a PPG player before his overage season made me think there was potential.

I hope he muscles his way onto the roster.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wow Eichel does it again! The Sabres are looking like a real threat this year! Possibly even a cup contender!

Yeah I'm pretty sure they'll miss the playoffs again

Though since the Slugs haven't been abysmal for a decade now, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt over the Oilers.

The Oilers have been playoff less for 10 years now if they miss this season. I'm thinking the Oilers should take baby steps. Finishing fifth in their division or even sixth is a huge improvement and progress.

I think for the Slugs to finish 5th or 6th in theirs is also an improvement for them. I gotta believe Boston is out after their recent blowup. I said the same thing about Vancouver last offseason when they had a similar blowup and they made it back into the playoffs. So maybe they can. I would have thought they'd get back in if they hadn't blown it up this offseason.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Wow Eichel does it again! The Sabres are looking like a real threat this year! Possibly even a cup contender!

Though since the Slugs haven't been abysmal for a decade now, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt over the Oilers.

The Oilers have been playoff less for 10 years now if they miss this season. I'm thinking the Oilers should take baby steps. Finishing fifth in their division or even sixth is a huge improvement and progress.

I think for the Slugs to finish 5th or 6th in theirs is also an improvement for them. I gotta believe Boston is out after their recent blowup. I said the same thing about Vancouver last offseason when they had a similar blowup and they made it back into the playoffs. So maybe they can. I would have thought they'd get back in if they hadn't blown it up this offseason.

They are not a contender yet. Their D is not good, and neither is their goaltending at this point.

Edit: Missed the sarcasm...

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They are not a contender yet. Their D is not good, and neither is their goaltending at this point.

Edit: Missed the sarcasm...

The sad part is that I wouldn't be surprised if some of their fans really think this and are actually seriously thinking this right now.

kiwidevil

Watching the game against the Bruins.

Zacha's passing looks really good. And the shift leading up to the goal his line scored was great. Created heaps of time and had a couple great passes and his shot lead to the goal.

He is leaving the zone very early for a centre and only comes back deep in the zone when the puck is down there for a while, though. But skill is the biggest thing to see right now.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

so …….will the fans STILL cheer for losses?

vermin fans……like dirt on the ground to walk on.

subhuman crap

….yes buffalo people….you actually live there :laugh:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Didn't Pierre say the Sabres were going to be a serious threat this year after their offseason moves? I mean they definitely have offensive talent but where's their D and goaltending? They basically have the exact polar opposite team to us right now, only their younger D are more along than our young forwards and vice-versa.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Didn't Pierre say the Sabres were going to be a serious threat this year after their offseason moves? I mean they definitely have offensive talent but where's their D and goaltending? They basically have the exact polar opposite team to us right now, only their younger D are more along than our young forwards and vice-versa.

Pierre is out of his mind with the McEichel hype.

I mean they are better offensively but I'm not ready to buy ROR. Especially at his price tag. Eichel will be amazing but that will take time.

Their defense is not good and there isn't much down the pipeline (honestly I prefer our potential at forward then their potential at defense.)

And then ya goaltending will be an issue.

They will be better but they are still a bottom 10 team IMO

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

I mean they are better offensively but I'm not ready to buy ROR. Especially at his price tag. Eichel will be amazing but that will take time.

Their defense is not good and there isn't much down the pipeline (honestly I prefer our potential at forward then their potential at defense.)

their offence pipe is better sure… but a fancy new 2nd pick and a immature "oh really?!" will not go far……. but im sure evander will keep them in check.

what the **** are they building there….. im honestly wondering.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
their offence pipe is better sure… but a fancy new 2nd pick and a immature "oh really?!" will not go far……. but im sure evander will keep them in check.

what the **** are they building there….. im honestly wondering.

I'm with you. All they have done is get better from being one of the worst teams ever from last year to normal bad.

And a future of potential cap issues because that ROR contract is going to look terrible if they ever decide to make a good team.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pierre always hypes stuff that shouldn't be hyped, just like when he hyped Stephen Gionta during that game he was commentating on in 2013-2014.

They should first concentrate on just finishing 5th or 6th in their division, that would be a huge improvement. Same with the Oilers as well.

None of this ''Make the playoffs'' Crap.

Montreal, Tampa Bay (even if they trade Stamkos tomorrow), and Detroit will more than likely ALL finish above Buffalo this year.

I think Florida will too.

Ottawa probably SHOULD, I can also see them not.

Boston looks to be pretty bad in that division after the recent nukejob there. They'll experience the fallout of their offseason blowup this season. Wouldn't be shocked if they finish below Buffalo.

The Laffs are looking at a 7th or 8th place finish in that division. Their hydra of Babs, Lou, Shanny, won't be saving them from finishing higher than that IMO.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

It wasn't even two years ago Buffalo fans were piping a top 3 defensive prospect core :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It wasn't even two years ago Buffalo fans were piping a top 3 defensive prospect core :laugh:

I'm still embarrassed they I was afraid Buffalo was gonna knock us out from our playoff spot in 2012. I'm glad those posts were flushed to hell and there's no evidence of that on here anymore.:laugh:

The one thing they have in their favor with Robin Lehner is, every goaltender they've had the last few seasons (minus Slugworth or whatever that dwarf with the shoulder risers higher than his ears name is) has actually played good behind their team.

Neuvirth was awesome for them last year, then he was abysmal for the Islanders after being traded. Only a 5 game sample size with the Isles though, but he still played better in Buffalo than his last few years in Washington.

Ryan Miller was incredible for them the last season he played there. He was having the second best season of his career. Then he left and has been decaying very fast ever since. He's sucked ever since leaving there.

Good old Blimpback even had the best 25 game stretch since Nashville playing there. That trade really backfired for them because Blimpback played much better than he ever did in TB or Dallas. And they got him just to lose games on purpose because of how bad he's been since being the Nashville backup.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I can live with these lines:
Cammy-Zajac-Palimeri
Elias-Henrique-John Q
Rutoo-JJ-Manteau
Kalinin-O'Brien-Gio/Tootoo

Until JQ shows he needs to go back down. I hope he shows he belongs.

I think Blandisi should be ahead of JQ. He is more of a natural right winger and definitely more of a goalscorer which this team desparately need.

I don't think JQ as a playmaking winger would work well anyway.

My forward lines would be:

Cammy-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Henrique-Blandisi
Ruutu-Josefson-Kalinin
Matteau-Gionta-Tootoo

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL

It's definitely top-3, don't be silly.

How long did it take for our defense to mature? Gelinas was drafted 6 years ago, Merrill 5 years ago, Larsson 4, Severson 3, and there's still question marks surrounding all of them.

Trading Zadorov definitely hurt them in that area, but hey, when you have a surplus of capital you can afford to liquidate some to address areas of need.

They definitely need another quality veteran top-4 defenseman while the kids mature, their own Andy Greene so to speak. But for all we know Tim Murray could trade for one tomorrow, he's certainly not bashful when it comes to adding talent.

ROR is definitely overpaid but he's at worst a 1b center (the way Zajac was 2009-2010), I don't like the Lehner trade, and Franson isn't going to do anything, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think this team is going to be a hundred times better.

Playoffs? Doubtful, but not impossible with the east as crappy as it is.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm probably a little late, but I appreciate everyone's detailed insight on the Prospects Challenge that took place over the weekend.

Moreover, I'm not sure this past weekend irretrievably hurt Zacha. I think he'll be OK and the coaches will look to give him extended time during camps.

Pleasantly surprised with Blandisi. Hope he (dare I say it?), turns out to be a quasi-Tyler Johnson.

Beetlebum*

I'm probably a little late, but I appreciate everyone's detailed insight on the Prospects Challenge that took place over the weekend.

Moreover, I'm not sure this past weekend irretrievably hurt Zacha. I think he'll be OK and the coaches will look to give him extended time during camps.

Pleasantly surprised with Blandisi. Hope he (dare I say it?), turns out to be a quasi-Tyler Johnson.

Blandisi was a little Lou find, right?

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

Personally, I really liked what I saw of Zacha. He's no Eichel or Sam Reinhart (at least not a one-year-older Reinhart), but he proved to me at least that there's a lot of facets to his game.

His passing and vision looked a little better than I was expecting. His speed and skating both looked great. He was tenacious along the boards and on the forecheck and backcheck. His hands didn't really shine, though that can happen in a games like these (especially vs. Buffalo) where players like Eichel since that bar by which everyone else is judged. His defensive play really shined to me, and he showed a lot of good anticipation both on offense and defense, which I was glad to see since "hockey IQ" is often brought up as a question mark for him. Obviously he's still raw, and the results weren't there (for anyone really in game 1), but I thought he had a really good showing if you take a real micro look at his abilities.

Also I just saw the report that Boucher was injured against Buffalo. Nice to know he wasn't benched, at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad