GDT: Buffalo Prospects Challenge

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I didn't come here to bait or anything. Last season during the prospect games I felt like there was nothing to do but to bottom out. Zacha didn't have a strong showing, but he's really got the size and two way game that should show better with more time! I was really impressed by Goulet. The Devils always compete game in and game out, they're so hard to play against. I have the utmost respect for the organization.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I thought Boston might find a way. Will there be radio coverage again do we know?

I haven't heard. I think we found out late about the radio coverage from a poster last night. BTW I don't think Boston has much in the way of prospects so game should be more balanced than against Buffalo.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
I haven't heard. I think we found out late about the radio coverage from a poster last night. BTW I don't think Boston has much in the way of prospects so game should be more balanced than against Buffalo.

I'm sure the same rosters for Buffalo and the Devils could go out and play again tonight and there would be a much different result. Buffalo has a good prospect pool, but yesterday's result is not the final quantifiable representation of how good the 2 prospect pools are.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
I'm sure the same rosters for Buffalo and the Devils could go out and play again tonight and there would be a much different result. Buffalo has a good prospect pool, but yesterday's result is not the final quantifiable representation of how good the 2 prospect pools are.

I agree with your observations re: Buffalo vs NJ prospects that the results are the same no matter how many times they play. What I was saying and probably not well is that our (NJ) prospects playing the Boston prospect will be more balanced because the Boston's prospects aren't much better than ours.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Since we are all pretty much overreacting, I will put in my own positive overreaction/bold statement.

Goulet makes the big club out of camp this year.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Not upset, just disappointed in Boucher. He has the most experience and fighting for a spot and was outplayed by a number of Devils prospects. Not a good sign. He just may not be quick enough for the NHL. They also have to move Zacha to wing, he has that shoot first and one on one mentality that isn't suited for a center. Pray for Matthews going forward.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
Just Watched the whole game online. I really don't think the devils prospects played as bad as the buffalo announcers made it seem. Buffalo really capitalized on their chances and for the most part the game was pretty even but buffalo having the edge.

Most impressive devil players..

1.Goulet- He should be earning a contract. Looked like he has good hockey sense and a really smooth skating style. Had a pretty nice goal.

2. Coleman- Very solid play from him. Showed some good speed and was good defensively while bringing some nice grit. He plays like a pro and should have a good shot at making the main roster in camp. I can see him being a very good 3rd liner or a complimentary 2nd liner.

3. Blandisi- I like what I saw from him. Showed good vision and skill. He is a pretty sneaky player. He reads the play really well and can strip people of the puck because of that. Pretty good along the boards.

4. Quenneville- Seems to have good hockey IQ and is solid on his skates. I think there is more untapped potential in him as well. He should be playing in Albany this year and should be made available as a call up.

5. Zacha- I thought he looked really solid for the most part. He was good with his stick defensively and made all smart plays with the puck. Offensively he wasn't at his best but it's a really good sign he can play good defense. He also had some pretty decent shots on net. He really didn't show even half of the offensive tools he has. One thing he really needs to work on is his face-offs, otherwise I think he's a good fit at center with his skating ability, defensive play, and size.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
Since we are all pretty much overreacting, I will put in my own positive overreaction/bold statement.

Don't say that....we need him in Charlottetown this year lol

In all seriousness though he is a good player and am glad he is doing well at camp, felt bad when he didn't get drafted into the NHL. He seems to always be under the radar, besides not being NHL drafted he also didn't get drafted in his first year of junior eligibility when he was playing midget.

Kykke

Jun 30, 2009
Also just finished watching the game from Youtube. The numbers were bad but posession-wise the game was quite even. Buffalo's top-skilled prospects really made the difference along with few horrible defensive mistakes by Devils.

I tried to memorize just few of the player's numbers before the game because most of the players are unknown to me. These are the players I followed:

#32 Boucher - Looks like we can wipe his name from the next years NHL roster. I don't know if he played in second and third perioids at all, but when I saw him at first, he didn't do anything at all. As others have already said, his skating is a major problem. He's not going to make pro-career with those wheels.

#37 Zacha - He wasn't dominating or anything but was still easily one of the best Devils on the ice. At least I can say his skating is very smooth and effective looking. Also he protected the puck very well in few occasions. Had few good scoring chances in the 3rd but couldn't bury those. I guess I was still expecting more from him.

#47 Quenneville - Solid game from him. Looks like he doesn't have any special abitilities and not also clear weaknesses. I think he's going to be coaches favourite because he's a smart player and can be used on any situation.

#48 Blandisi - Probably the most skilled Devil on ice. Had many sweet takeaways and turned the game around quickly with his fast skating. Before the game he was talking how he should be dominating in these games if he wishes to make to the NHL roster. I don't think this counts as domination but he sure was very good.

Honourable mentions that played well enough to make me remember their number afterwards:

#50 Coleman - Good wheels and energy. Drove shamelesly to the net. Could have scored a goal with better puck-luck. Very physical. He should have a chance to make to the final roster.

#77 Sweeney - Was very calm at the defence and played smartly at the own end.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Also just finished watching the game from Youtube. The numbers were bad but posession-wise the game was quite even. Buffalo's top-skilled prospects really made the difference along with few horrible defensive mistakes by Devils.

I tried to memorize just few of the player's numbers before the game because most of the players are unknown to me. These are the players I followed:

#32 Boucher - Looks like we can wipe his name from the next years NHL roster. I don't know if he played in second and third perioids at all, but when I saw him at first, he didn't do anything at all. As others have already said, his skating is a major problem. He's not going to make pro-career with those wheels.

#37 Zacha - He wasn't dominating or anything but was still easily one of the best Devils on the ice. At least I can say his skating is very smooth and effective looking. Also he protected the puck very well in few occasions. Had few good scoring chances in the 3rd but couldn't bury those. I guess I was still expecting more from him.

#47 Quenneville - Solid game from him. Looks like he doesn't have any special abitilities and not also clear weaknesses. I think he's going to be coaches favourite because he's a smart player and can be used on any situation.

#48 Blandisi - Probably the most skilled Devil on ice. Had many sweet takeaways and turned the game around quickly with his fast skating. Before the game he was talking how he should be dominating in these games if he wishes to make to the NHL roster. I don't think this counts as domination but he sure was very good.

Honourable mentions that played well enough to make me remember their number afterwards:

#50 Coleman - Good wheels and energy. Drove shamelesly to the net. Could have scored a goal with better puck-luck. Very physical. He should have a chance to make to the final roster.

#77 Sweeney - Was very calm at the defence and played smartly at the own end.

Didn't watch much of it, but I liked Sweeney as well. Quenneville seems like he will be a solid player, so that makes me a little less bitter about passing on barbashev. Think the henrique comparisons are gonna be spot on, really reminds me of him. Also, its a good thing the devils strongest point going forward is the young defense and they are already up because this group is pretty frightening

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I highly doubt that.

I do think the Devils sign him to a contract and let him go back for his overage season though, especially if he keeps up what he's been doing.

RNCDevil

Jun 21, 2008
Philadelphia, PA

Looking forward to seeing your commentary through the year. Thanks.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I feel like Blackwood is superb positionally and doesn't let many shots get past him, but he plays that weird style where he's susceptible to any shots that aren't right at him.

He just seems to get beat to the sides and corners way too often. Maybe it's reflex, maybe it's style but it's something I have always noticed.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I'm here. Most of the people here are Bruins fans. Lots of scouts.

Appleby came out first so I think he may be starting.

You guys want me to live post from here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad