GDT: Buffalo Prospects Challenge

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think Blandisi should be ahead of JQ. He is more of a natural right winger and definitely more of a goalscorer which this team desparately need.

I don't think JQ as a playmaking winger would work well anyway.

My forward lines would be:

Cammy-Zajac-Palmieri
Elias-Henrique-Blandisi
Ruutu-Josefson-Kalinin
Matteau-Gionta-Tootoo

I would love to see it like this:

Cammalleri - Zajac - Matteau
Henrique - Josefson - Palmieri
Elias - Zacha - Blandisi
Ruutu - Coleman - Gionta/Kalinin/Tootoo
Gionta/Kalinin/Tootoo

A lot of good things have to happen for that to take place

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I honestly don't think Zacha should be on the team, and that's coming from someone who thought it might be a good idea when he was drafted. I'd also like to see Goulet make the team.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Sounds like Zacha is the classic "toolbox" prospect, which I think deep down everyone knew.

Always a risk. I, too, hope he refines his game in juniors. Dominate the league, come back for a shot next year. Maybe even with another top 5 pick by his side.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Sounds like Zacha is the classic "toolbox" prospect, which I think deep down everyone knew.

Always a risk. I, too, hope he refines his game in juniors. Dominate the league, come back for a shot next year. Maybe even with another top 5 pick by his side.

I think he's a risk, but from what I've seen so far, he looks way better than someone like Paajarvi looked when he first started. I agree with some of the other posters here about him switching to wing. His game definitely seems way more suited for wing. I think Quenneville looked way more polished at center than Zacha or even Blandisi, but Zacha could definitely work on that in Juniors.

I think he needs an extra in Juniors for sure.

I guess what I'm trying to say is he is not a boom or bust prospect, he's a boom or 2nd line tweener prospect.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I'm basing this mostly on what I hear from here, but if he looks raw in a prospect game, then he would be lost in the NHL, albeit 9 games. Give him a few preseason games and if he doesn't stick out send him back to the CHL.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Zacha should absolutely get the 9 games in the NHL next year. Pointless to send him straight back to juniors when you have free games to give him on a rebuilding roster with development coaches.

Let the kid get a taste, and a list of things the team wants him to work on back in Sarnia. That is all though. Right now there is no reason to keep him beyond that.

Glad to see people are starting to warm up to JQ. I honestly expect him to have a very solid year in juniors.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Zacha should absolutely get the 9 games in the NHL next year. Pointless to send him straight back to juniors when you have free games to give him on a rebuilding roster with development coaches.

Let the kid get a taste, and a list of things the team wants him to work on back in Sarnia. That is all though. Right now there is no reason to keep him beyond that.

Glad to see people are starting to warm up to JQ. I honestly expect him to have a very solid year in juniors.

In that case why not let JQ play in the NHL as well for 9 games? Are the rules different for JQ?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

I agree with this, I don't expect him to be good enough to stay. Maybe not even 9 games but even just a taste. Almost like we're saying this is what the NHL is like so go back and make sure you're ready next year. Once Zacha's gone, the NHL team will probably look pretty clear since that will be a several games into the season.

Personally, I'm expecting Blandisi and Coleman to make the team. I think both are going to be the hard-working agitating guys that we're going to grow to love. Pietila has a serious shot, in my opinion, but with this team's glut of fourth liners I don't think he plays on the team. JQ should develop more as well. Judging by that, the lines will likely look like this:

Cammalleri - Zajac - Matteau
Elias - Henrique - Palmieri
Ruutu - Josefson - Blandisi
Coleman - Kalinin/Gionta - Kalinin/Gionta
Tootoo - O'Brien

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
One player I was surprised by was Colton White. The kid looks like he's got some wheels and isn't afraid to get involved in the rush. He, Quenneville, and Blandisi caught my eye from the little bit I saw from the game against Boston.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Zacha's skill is so evident. Every pass he makes is tape to tape and hard.

I really can't wait to see how his game develops.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
One player I was surprised by was Colton White. The kid looks like he's got some wheels and isn't afraid to get involved in the rush. He, Quenneville, and Blandisi caught my eye from the little bit I saw from the game against Boston.

I can't wait to see Colton White (and Blake Speers for that matter) in top positions on the depth chart in Soo St. Marie this year. I think both of them have the potential to really break out with more ice time.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I can't wait to see Colton White (and Blake Speers for that matter) in top positions on the depth chart in Soo St. Marie this year. I think both of them have the potential to really break out with more ice time.

Agreed. I think they can turn out to be real steals for us later on down the road.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I'm not against JQ getting a nine game look either but I don't think it's the same as zacha's situation.
Maybe see how camp and preseason looks and just reward those who look good.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The kid that is really interesting to me is Speers. Obviously, he's a few years away but you can tell he's a thinker out there.

From an IQ perspective, much further along than Zacha.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
JQ is a pretty good prospect IMO. Definitely a close 2nd after Zacha, at least as far as forwards go. I'd say he's probably way ahead of whoever is in 3rd on the forward prospect depth chart. Boucher might be close behind him, after that I think there's a pretty big gap though.

But I think he should be in juniors this season, no use in rushing him at only 19 years old. Some people seem to wanna just play these guys just to play them, but that doesn't benefit players like him or Zacha to be forced into the NHL at 18 and 19 years old. We did that to Tedenby and Josefson at that age, Tedenby was a complete bust (though I don't exactly think that was the reason why) and Josefson hasn't turned out to what we were expecting him to.

Is Q eligible for the AHL this season? He turns 20 in April.

Matteau was eligible for the AHL in 2013-2014 and played there that year. He turned 20 in February of 2014. Don't you have to turn 20 before that season ends in order to be eligible to play in the AHL before the NHL or Junior/college season ends? What's the cutoff date?

I wouldn't be against Q playing the 9 games though. I haven't heard any talk of him turning pro in Albany, so he's likely back to junior's if he doesn't make the NHL club, which I don't think he will nor do I think he should yet.

He seems like he could possibly be ready for the NHL next year though, but I'd still think a year of AHL would do him good. Maybe he can step in like Merrill and Severson did or like Zajac did back in 06-07, with just a few games AHL experience or none at all.

This is the same reason I think guys like Blandisi or Coleman should play in the AHL before making the big club. I don't think they're ready just yet, it also does them no good to force them in.

I actually think we're better off with Kalinin in the big's than any of those other guys, even though their ceilings are definitely higher for the most part. Kalinin does have some pro experience under his belt already.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
JQ is a pretty good prospect IMO. Definitely a close 2nd after Zacha, at least as far as forwards go. I'd say he's probably way ahead of whoever is in 3rd on the forward prospect depth chart. Boucher might be close behind him, after that I think there's a pretty big gap though.

But I think he should be in juniors this season, no use in rushing him at only 19 years old. Some people seem to wanna just play these guys just to play them, but that doesn't benefit players like him or Zacha to be forced into the NHL at 18 and 19 years old. We did that to Tedenby and Josefson at that age, Tedenby was a complete bust (though I don't exactly think that was the reason why) and Josefson hasn't turned out to what we were expecting him to.

Is Q eligible for the AHL this season? He turns 20 in April.

Matteau was eligible for the AHL in 2013-2014 and played there that year. He turned 20 in February of 2014. Don't you have to turn 20 before that season ends in order to be eligible to play in the AHL before the NHL or Junior/college season ends? What's the cutoff date?

I wouldn't be against Q playing the 9 games though. I haven't heard any talk of him turning pro in Albany, so he's likely back to junior's if he doesn't make the NHL club, which I don't think he will nor do I think he should yet.

He seems like he could possibly be ready for the NHL next year though, but I'd still think a year of AHL would do him good. Maybe he can step in like Merrill and Severson did or like Zajac did back in 06-07, with just a few games AHL experience or none at all.

This is the same reason I think guys like Blandisi or Coleman should play in the AHL before making the big club. I don't think they're ready just yet, it also does them no good to force them in.

I actually think we're better off with Kalinin in the big's than any of those other guys, even though their ceilings are definitely higher for the most part. Kalinin does have some pro experience under his belt already.

I believe he might be able to play in Albany after the CHL wraps up, but don't quote me on that.

Also I'm higher on Blandasi and Kuja then Boucher honestly. Also think Speers is a better prospect the Boucher even though he is much further away time wise.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I believe he might be able to play in Albany after the CHL wraps up, but don't quote me on that.

Also I'm higher on Blandasi and Kuja then Boucher honestly. Also think Speers is a better prospect the Boucher even though he is much further away time wise.

Yeah he should be able to play in Albany after his season wraps up, I believe all college aged and junior players are allowed in the AHL once their season's wrap up, which usually only works out to be like 3-5 games at max for the season in the AHL.

And I think I'm higher on those guys than Boucher now at the moment too, which is sad because I was a little higher on Boucher not too long ago.

I think Boucher just needs a little more AHL time to at least start this season, maybe he gets a call up soon enough. Hopefully this regime will call up guys like him and not a 4th line Sestito plug.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Same here, I'm hoping Boucher can show something so Shero might be able to include him in a trade.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Same here, I'm hoping Boucher can show something so Shero might be able to include him in a trade.

I remember a lot of people being bummed a couple years ago when a few people suggested that Boucher's ceiling was a Michael Ryder type, and not a superstar 40+ a year goal scorer.

I actually think that's a huge success if he turns out to be a Ryder type, an even bigger success if he doesn't become completely washed up by 34 years old.

Ryder was once a pretty good player and goal scorer for the better part of a decade in the NHL, up until the second half of his first season with the Devils.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Quenneville is not eligible to start in the AHL this season. As for Boucher, Michael Ryder was a pretty consistent 25-30 goal scorer for a long time. If we got that out of Boucher I'd be ecstatic. Too many people got the wrong idea after he broke Stamkos' record in Sarnia.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
I'd be happy if Boucher could turn into a guy like Ryder used to be, who could pot 25-30 goals. I have some doubts about that happening, but it would be nice if it did.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Yeah he should be able to play in Albany after his season wraps up, I believe all college aged and junior players are allowed in the AHL once their season's wrap up, which usually only works out to be like 3-5 games at max for the season in the AHL.

And I think I'm higher on those guys than Boucher now at the moment too, which is sad because I was a little higher on Boucher not too long ago.

I think Boucher just needs a little more AHL time to at least start this season, maybe he gets a call up soon enough. Hopefully this regime will call up guys like him and not a 4th line Sestito plug.

Hey hey hey, you're talking about top-line center for the Dinamo Riga of the KHL Tim Sestito...

For almost league minimum, either way this is a steal of a contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00