Pre-Game Talk: Buffalo for All the Marbles - Pens @ Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
People have been saying this, literally, for weeks. And guess what?

On the other hand, we are playing the Sabres. If ever there is a team our AHL defense should be good to go in, it's this one.

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
It'd be an interesting turn of events if we do manage to sneak in. For the past 5 years, this team has wittered under the pressure of being Stanley Cup "contenders" (lol). Although I'm not getting any hopes up, I'd be curious to see how this team performs with nothing to lose.

If they can add in some youth like Kapanen, Sundqvist, Dumoulin, Harrington and pray they can inspire the team out of the cave they've been living in this year.

hiptanaka

Jan 12, 2006
Woonsocket
Sabres fan stopping by to say I don't know why so many teams hate the Pens for drafting Malkin and Crosby but we are starting to catch the eye of the rest of the leagues moral crusaders for trying to get good talent through the draft.

Just saying I've always liked the Pen's even though you've been beating the hell out of us for awhile now. Hoping for a good game from both sides and don't mind a loss if it means Boston not making the playoffs.

Good luck Pittsburgh.

Congrats on locking up McEichel. Get accustomed to the mindless hate and moral platitudes from the rest of the league, even for sensibly positioning yourselves in the best possible manner to draft a generational talent. Seems like your players and coaching staff aren't too thrilled about the 30th place "distinction", but the ownership, management, and fans certainly seem delighted, and rightfully so.

Here's a gem written in the Post-Gazette back in the 03-04 season. It summarized the collective panic we felt when the team suddenly went on a tear the last 20 games and nearly jeopardized our chance at the Ovechkin-Malkin sweepstakes:

If you didn't know any better, Edzo and GM Craig Patrick appear to be down to similar shenanigans. They likewise sent down serviceable players, under the auspices of helping Wilkes-Barre make a playoff run. They called up a Healthy Scratch Du Jour with two goals this minor-league season, although who knew Matt Hussey would then pot two in his first two NHL games and prompt his own demotion. The coach put goal-less Kelly Buchberger on the power play, put newcomers Landon Wilson (one goal in 35 previous games) and Lasse Pirjeta (two in 57) on the power play, put anybody but point-giddy defensemen Dick Tarnstrom and Ric Jackman on the ice for the Penguins' first man advantage Tuesday in New York, and still that special team keeps on scoring.

And recounting the plan between Penguins coach Angotti and GM Eddie Johnston back in '84 to ensure a last place finish:

The plan was hatched over a midseason lunch between him and E.J. Forget gold, they were going for the mold. Angotti remembered a 3-1 lead against the Rangers that prompted E.J. to barge into the coach's office amid the first intermission, "What are you doing?" They lost, 6-3.

:laugh:

http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/04088/292486.stm

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
If they can add in some youth like Kapanen, Sundqvist, Dumoulin, Harrington and pray they can inspire the team out of the cave they've been living in this year.

The cave was created by veterans unhappy at the start of training camp that Bylsma was no longer the coach. The cave was created by ownership force feeding Rick Tocchet as an assistant on anybody that was willing to take the head coaching job. Injuries and mismanagement by a front office that has become a head start program for GM's in waiting, run by a guy (Rutherford) who long ago stopped being able of being a General Manager in the NHL. All this stuff will come out before they start the crusade this summer to hire Mike Babcock as GM and coach.

penspenspens

Feb 2, 2014
Don't see why you're all so worried. This makes me feel a whole lot more calm

digitaltakeaway4.10.15.jpg

Imagining Defeat

Dec 16, 2007
Satellite of Love
Let's breakdown the HFB consensus over 2 years...

DB has to go! Now we got a coach that needs to backdoor into the playoffs.

Fleury has to go! He's been our best player all year.

Keep Letang! Looks like he's going to be playing injured or miss playoffs. He's useless.

Liked the Ehrhoff trade - He's been a bust.

Liked Perron trade - Bust.

Hated Cole and Winnik trades - Both have been great.

Your not the smarter group of individuals. I think the only things you have been right about is Despres, Bennett deserves a chance, and Adams has to go. Batting 3 for 20. Thank god none of you are GMs.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
My all-time favorites....

GOOD LORD... chills. Man the glory days were so ****ing awesome.

It's still nice to see that stuff, but sad too because of what could have been.

Everyone around us got better. They saw the standard the Pens set, and did everything they could to build teams in order to beat us. Teams adapted, teams evolved, teams improved.

And what did we do? We stayed the same. We got caught in a holding pattern and sometimes even unwittingly taking a step back or two because of misplaced loyalty and the old school way of relying on "veteran experience," all the while forgetting that it was your kids that got you to the promise land to start with in '09.

Six years. Six. What a ****ing waste.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
i'm pretty hammered atm. gonna just say LGP. and hope it turns out for the best. hopefully when i wake up/sober up, the pens get thorugh or sid beats benn or tavares.

LGP.

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
The only positive I can think of with a loss is NBC will be sweating it out. The defending champs are gone, the goldenboy of the NHL would be gone, and 5 teams from Canada will be in. That is a ratings nightmare and the NHL deserve every second of it for this garbage season.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The only positive I can think of with a loss is NBC will be sweating it out. The defending champs are gone, the goldenboy of the NHL would be gone, and 5 teams from Canada will be in. That is a ratings nightmare and the NHL deserve every second of it for this garbage season.

I don't think NBC would be that heart broken to see the Penguins miss. Bruins draw good ratings too.

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
although not my original plan but now I am watching the first period and going to the movies...... lol so at least ill go out on a high note. I hope they win buy I have some JD for after either to celebrate.... or just because its sat. night... b/c hopefully the 1st period isn't bad enough to drink....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese