Pre-Game Talk: Buffalo for All the Marbles - Pens @ Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
You know what the Sabres marketing team is thinking... "this... this is the start of the new generation. Sabres X. This game is big for us. Positive emotions going into the McDavid era. Let's get an ad out there!" I think we're in trouble. Sabres X > Lovejoy quotes and Crosby Warm Fuzzies.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
It'd be an interesting turn of events if we do manage to sneak in. For the past 5 years, this team has wittered under the pressure of being Stanley Cup "contenders" (lol). Although I'm not getting any hopes up, I'd be curious to see how this team performs with nothing to lose.

Especially if the stuff about management looking seriously at WBS to augment the playoff roster comes to fruition.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The odds are still immensely stacked in our favor. We pretty much have to lose in regulation AND Boston has to win in regulation or OT. Or we could lose in OT and have Boston win in regulation or OT. But if we lose in OT and Boston wins in a shootout, we're still in.

Which is all to say that Boston HAS to win in regulation or OT in order to knock us out, no matter what we do in this game. Even if we lose in regulation and Boston nabs an OTL point, we're still in.

And I don't care how electric the Sabres environment is, they're still the Sabres. The Pens will be jacked up too.

Whats The Maatta

Feb 20, 2014
Would this game not be the perfect game for the team to start genuinely battling, drop the sense of entitlement and work their ***es off? I saw that fire in Sid's play yesterday. Hope it has spread.

Lets go :pens! :yo:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Pittsburgh - 0, Buffalo - 1

Boston wins their game with 1 second left in OT.

In other words:

we're gonna lose. I guarantee it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pittsburgh - 0, Buffalo - 1

Boston wins their game with 1 second left in OT.

In other words:

we're gonna lose. I guarantee it.

I could see the first part happening. Pittsburgh throws 40+ shots at the Buffalo net, but like against every goalie this last 40 games or so, they can't put any past him. Meanwhile, Buffalo gets 10 shots on net and scores on 2 of them.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
God I'm so nervous that I'm going for a run to try to burn off some energy and kill time before the game starts.

Feel bad for you poor schmucks that have to watch this game. I'm lucky in that I have a game of my own at 7:30 so I'll be able to keep my mind off the Pens for at least a little while.

Or well I'll try to. The feeling of dread I'll get before checking my phone after my game ends is going to be severe. Unless someone spoils me before then...game could be on at the rink.

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
We have a chance against Anders Lindback

REGULAR SEASON - CAREER: VS PIT 4 0 2 1 14 83 69 .831 4.72 0 178
*No games started

SATURDAY
GAMES PLAYED: 8
GAMES STARTED: 7
WINS: 0
LOSSES: 6
TIES: 0
SHOTS AGAINST:225
GOALS AGAINST:26
SAVES:199
SAVE PERCENTAGE:.884
GOALS AGAINST AVERAGE: 3.90
SHUTOUTS:0

*****Saturday is his worst day of the week

He also gives up the most goals in the 3rd period (could be good or bad.. probably bad)

And they are 5-2-2 in the final game of the regular season (since 05-06)

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Sabres fan stopping by to say I don't know why so many teams hate the Pens for drafting Malkin and Crosby but we are starting to catch the eye of the rest of the leagues moral crusaders for trying to get good talent through the draft.

Just saying I've always liked the Pen's even though you've been beating the hell out of us for awhile now. Hoping for a good game from both sides and don't mind a loss if it means Boston not making the playoffs.

Good luck Pittsburgh.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Sabres fan stopping by to say I don't know why so many teams hate the Pens for drafting Malkin and Crosby but we are starting to catch the eye of the rest of the leagues moral crusaders for trying to get good talent through the draft.

Just saying I've always liked the Pen's even though you've been beating the hell out of us for awhile now. Hoping for a good game from both sides and don't mind a loss if it means Boston not making the playoffs.

Good luck Pittsburgh.

Because they wanted them for their team and us gettin Mario makes them hate us even more. It's fine, we can take the hate.:laugh:

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
You know what the Sabres marketing team is thinking... "this... this is the start of the new generation. Sabres X. This game is big for us. Positive emotions going into the McDavid era. Let's get an ad out there!" I think we're in trouble. Sabres X > Lovejoy quotes and Crosby Warm Fuzzies.
When I lived in Syracuse I knew quite a few Sabres fans (this was when the team was quite successful in the mid 00s) and I watched lots of Sabres games. I usually listened to the Pens games on radio, which to this day is better than watching the TV broadcast.

I'm really happy that their franchise is secure now and trending upward. If their team comes out tonight and kicks our butts, I'll be disappointed... but good on them going forward. Great fans there, just like there are great fans in Pittsburgh. Two towns that have some history of just loving hockey - and watching out of town games.

LGP, and best of luck Sabres with your rebuild.

cajal

Go Pens!
Dec 13, 2007
Miskatonic U
I really hope you're right, I've seen nothing recently to indicate that you are (winning this game).

Last edited:

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Pens will win this one easily, it is the "what's next?" that will spin everyone in knots.

It shouldn't spin everyone into knots. We wouldn't be favored to beat any playoff team right now. If we do get there, that hockey should be treated as a bonus and not the usual doom and gloom where we're favored and choke.

Now this game on the other hand...this game should have us nervous. Because we should still find a way to make the playoffs, and if we can't....boy.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

Good luck Pittsburgh.

Yep. You'll be receiving a lot of hate around HF for getting one of McDavid or Eichel but it's a small price to pay to enjoy one of their careers with your team. Hopefully you win the lottery and get your choice of the two but you'll be in good shape drafting either one of those kids.

I have a bad feeling this Pens meltdown will continue and they'll find a way to lose. I really don't know what to expect from the Sabres tonight. You just never know how a team will approach a final game. Some teams that are out of it will still play hard and leave it all out there and others play like they have their moving trucks waiting in the parking lot outside of the arena and can't wait to just get the game/season over with.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I just put money on sabres win+Boston win. 10/1 in odds. So if the penguins make it, it was a cheap price to pay for a playoff spot. But if they don't make it....
Well, I guess I can afford a set of golf clubs and join the guys.

That being said.

LETS GO PENS!

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
I'm positive we're going to lose this game. The Pens were simply gassed in the third last night. Like the last few weeks, I'm expecting a great first--then downhill in a big way.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
we'll win tonight. There is no way that I am going into this game thinking of a loss, wanting a loss or hoping for a loss.

yea we aren't as good as we were before the deadline but screw it ... if I can see the boston board all positive that they still have hope for the playoffs then .... I am just going to be happy if we make the playoffs .. like many teams do.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This is the definition of a 50/50 game. Pens are going off as -400. Buffalo +320. Good lawd. I might throw $100 on Buffalo for fun. $320 win would be a refreshing consolation.

Boston +115. Parlay Buffalo + Boston.... :laugh: +803 ML. Miss the playoffs... $50 to win 453. Buy a nice scotch.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is the definition of a 50/50 game. Pens are going off as -400. Buffalo +320. Good lawd. I might throw $100 on Buffalo for fun. $320 win would be a refreshing consolation.

Boston +115. Parlay Buffalo + Boston.... :laugh:

But then you'll live with the guilt that you were the reason the Penguins lost.

Subsequently resulting in Malkin being traded for Semin, Nash, and a 2nd by JR and his eight person staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad