Red Sox/MLB Buffalo Blue Jays - Mookie Betts agrees to sign 12-year, $365 million contract extension with LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Cora is likely done and won't be back here in this market.....I don't believe you'll see Hinch anytime soon either once those suspensions are lifted

I don't believe that. Obviously the Red Sox can't come out and say "Yeah, we plan to bring him back after the suspension is served." The PR and pushback from the league would be too much. But I still believe chances are greater than 50% that Cora winds up back in Boston. And Hinch definitely gets a job somewhere too. Probably not Houston or anywhere in the AL, but I could see an NL team (e.g. the Mets) hiring him the next time there's an opening.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I don't believe that. Obviously the Red Sox can't come out and say "Yeah, we plan to bring him back after the suspension is served." The PR and pushback from the league would be too much. But I still believe chances are greater than 50% that Cora winds up back in Boston. And Hinch definitely gets a job somewhere too. Probably not Houston or anywhere in the AL, but I could see an NL team (e.g. the Mets) hiring him the next time there's an opening.
baseball has essentially blackballed all three of them, perception or not.... Luhnow won't be in the sport again, either....

weren't the Mets a part of this, too.... remember their manager was dropped when this came out...

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Essentially blackballed? They got one-year suspensions and were fired for PR reasons before any punishments were announced.

The only one who's going to have trouble getting a job again is Luhnow, who was not only ringleader but oversaw a lot of problematic things in the Astros' front office.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Essentially blackballed? They got one-year suspensions and were fired for PR reasons before any punishments were announced.

The only one who's going to have trouble getting a job again is Luhnow, who was not only ringleader but oversaw a lot of problematic things in the Astros' front office.
same thing happened with the Mets, too... why hire a manager to drop him when this broke.....

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yessss, we're going to extras in Oakland and Shohei Ohtani gets to start the inning on second base

And he promptly gets caught in a run-down, then the next batter got a base hit that would've scored him. That's the most Angels thing possible.
And they strand the bases loaded. Now that's the most Angels thing possible.

Now the A's can bunt the runner over to third and win on a sac fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicat and Fenway

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
hahaha Matt Olson walks it off with a grand slam

It's gonna be a short long summer in Orange County

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Tom Werner Offers Harsh Reminder In Wake Of Mookie Betts’ Dodgers Deal

This guy is a supreme doooosher. This is why people hate this ownership group. Such incredible putzes.

The biggest douche in baseball imo, has never looked good with anything he’s done or said.

that said he’s got a decent point. LA does always seem to be about going out and acquiring superstars- hell in our last blockbuster with them we surrendered Star power that was supposed to help them win but it really set the table for our next two WS wins while the dodgers played bridesmaid like they always do.

that said he’s also responsible for Panda after the team got rid of so much money so *shrug*

I think he’s more lucky than anything. I’m glad they do pay the most out of any ownership group in the league, I just wish they’d let a GM establish some sort of plan. Because he can say whatever they want, if they were in a position where they could have financially kept Betts they would have- they just weren’t because of dumbass blunders the team has made.

honestly low key wish DD was never brought in. I’m not sure we don’t win 3+ WS with a Betts/X/Devers/Moncada core. That’s arguably 4 of the top 20-25 bats in baseball

Last edited:
Reactions: Alicat and LSCII

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The biggest douche in baseball imo, has never looked good with anything he’s done or said.

that said he’s got a decent point. LA does always seem to be about going out and acquiring superstars- hell in our last blockbuster with them we surrendered Star power that was supposed to help them win but it really set the table for our next two WS wins while the dodgers played bridesmaid like they always do.

that said he’s also responsible for Panda after the team got rid of so much money so *shrug*

I think he’s more lucky than anything. I’m glad they do pay the most out of any ownership group in the league, I just wish they’d let a GM establish some sort of plan. Because he can say whatever they want, if they were in a position where they could have financially kept Betts they would have- they just weren’t because of dumbass blunders the team has made.

honestly low key wish DD was never brought in. I’m not sure we don’t win 3+ WS with a Betts/X/Devers/Moncada core. That’s arguably 4 of the top 20-25 bats in baseball
All of this and more. My distaste for this ownership goes back to when they bought the team and how it happened.

I thought I hated Larry Lucchino but I was wrong. Tom Warner has always been the evil one and let Lucchino take the fall.

I'm over the ownership at this point. I know they've brought us 4 championships but it seems like they have shifted focus onto soccer and real estate that the Sox are just collateral damage.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
All of this and more. My distaste for this ownership goes back to when they bought the team and how it happened.

I thought I hated Larry Lucchino but I was wrong. Tom Warner has always been the evil one and let Lucchino take the fall.

I'm over the ownership at this point. I know they've brought us 4 championships but it seems like they have shifted focus onto soccer and real estate that the Sox are just collateral damage.

Which by the way Liverpool fans are convinced the team has no money to sign players because that’s what they’re being told by FSG

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Which by the way Liverpool fans are convinced the team has no money to sign players because that’s what they’re being told by FSG
At this point they need to pick a sport. Sounds like they are lying to both fan bases and lining their pockets knowing that people will spend money even if the team sucks

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Liverpool spent $200 million in transfer fees prior to the 2018-19 season, and then went out and won the Champions League and the Premier League in back-to-back seasons. Not sure Liverpool needs to spend much money to bring in new players, or why the fans would be upset that they haven't.

The reason for the Red Sox' payroll reset has been discussed at length.

My only issue with ownership is that I think they tend to get a tad impatient at times. They need to develop a philosophy and stick with it - even when things aren't going the way they want them to.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Liverpool spent $200 million in transfer fees prior to the 2018-19 season, and then went out and won the Champions League and the Premier League in back-to-back seasons. Not sure Liverpool needs to spend much money to bring in new players, or why the fans would be upset that they haven't.

The reason for the Red Sox' payroll reset has been discussed at length.

My only issue with ownership is that I think they tend to get a tad impatient at times. They need to develop a philosophy and stick with it - even when things aren't going the way they want them to.

I'm not saying Liverpool fans are upset. They aren't and all you have to do is take a trip over to the soccer board here to see that. I'm just saying it's the same "poor us we have no money".

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I mean we’ve been over this a hundred times but I absolutely love the ownership group cause I’m more interested in winning World Series then all this other nonsense.

Sure and that's your take. Others have said they can't believe how disliked they are despite winning so often.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad