Red Sox/MLB Buffalo Blue Jays - Mookie Betts agrees to sign 12-year, $365 million contract extension with LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Hunter Wood is available right now too...he’s actually been pretty decent At times. Plus Bloom is very familiar with him from his time in Tampa and we drafted him in 2012 (obvs didn’t sign)

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I tuned into the late game exactly twice before right now. First was seeing Panda hit into a double play, and second was seeing Mookie score. So...um...yay?

I was hoping the game would stay tied so I could grouse about them putting a guy on second to start extra innings, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

I know this is heresy, but they should do it baseball like hockey SHOULD do it. After 9 innings, play 2 or 3 extra innings (ie 5 mins of sudden death OT). If it's still tied - it's a TIE. At least they're expanding the DH, which I hope keeps. But the new 16 team playoff format? That can go to hell. The first round takes place during the SCF!

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I tuned into the late game exactly twice before right now. First was seeing Panda hit into a double play, and second was seeing Mookie score. So...um...yay?

I was hoping the game would stay tied so I could grouse about them putting a guy on second to start extra innings, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

I know this is heresy, but they should do it baseball like hockey SHOULD do it. After 9 innings, play 2 or 3 extra innings (ie 5 mins of sudden death OT). If it's still tied - it's a TIE. At least they're expanding the DH, which I hope keeps. But the new 16 team playoff format? That can go to hell. The first round takes place during the SCF!

They should’ve just gone full gimmick like the NHL and make it so you need a position player to pitch

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

It appears ESPN is funding this extra round of playoffs getting SEVEN of the 8 best 2 of 3 series. (TBS gets one series)

ESPN sees their college football inventory dropping by the day and they are in panic mode.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
People don’t realize pillar started to sell out for pull power last year, could end up being a sneaky good pickup for Fenway
I've liked Pillar for awhile. Looking forward to seeing what he can do.

I'm concerned about E-Rod. I really hope the lingering effects aren't breathing or heart related (they said those are 2 long term impacts they are seeing)

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So, with the 16-team playoff, I think we're in play for a playoff spot. Top 2 of each division get in, with two third-place wildcards.

Beforehand, I wrote off the season altogether because we'd definitely finish behind NYY and TB, which means we would've had to compete against teams like Houston/Oakland for a second wildcard. But with the expanded playoff format, our level of competition is going to be the Jays, White Sox (who will be sneaky good), and Angels. The pitching sucks, but the offense is going to be great, maybe the lineup can carry us to a wild card.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Red Sox SP Eduardo Rodriguez dealing with condition involving his heart

Boston Red Sox starting pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez has been shut down indefinitely due to complications stemming from the coronavirus, and we now know a bit more about his condition.

According to WEEI’s Rob Bradford, Rodriguez is dealing with a condition involving his heart. It is believed that Rodriguez has been diagnosed with “myocarditis,” which involves an inflammation of the heart muscle. It is often caused by a viral infection. Treatment for the condition includes medication and rest.

With Chris Sale out for the season, the Red Sox were expected to lean on Rodriguez as their No. 1 starter. The left-hander had his best season in the majors last year, going 19-6 with a 3.81 ERA and 213 strikeouts in 203 1/3 innings.

It’s unclear how long Rodriguez will be out. Nathan Eovaldi will start for the Red Sox in their opener against the Baltimore Orioles on Friday night.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Red Sox SP Eduardo Rodriguez dealing with condition involving his heart

Boston Red Sox starting pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez has been shut down indefinitely due to complications stemming from the coronavirus, and we now know a bit more about his condition.

According to WEEI’s Rob Bradford, Rodriguez is dealing with a condition involving his heart. It is believed that Rodriguez has been diagnosed with “myocarditis,” which involves an inflammation of the heart muscle. It is often caused by a viral infection. Treatment for the condition includes medication and rest.

With Chris Sale out for the season, the Red Sox were expected to lean on Rodriguez as their No. 1 starter. The left-hander had his best season in the majors last year, going 19-6 with a 3.81 ERA and 213 strikeouts in 203 1/3 innings.

It’s unclear how long Rodriguez will be out. Nathan Eovaldi will start for the Red Sox in their opener against the Baltimore Orioles on Friday night.
Ugh. Thoughts and prayers to E-Rod.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
So, with the 16-team playoff, I think we're in play for a playoff spot. Top 2 of each division get in, with two third-place wildcards.

Beforehand, I wrote off the season altogether because we'd definitely finish behind NYY and TB, which means we would've had to compete against teams like Houston/Oakland for a second wildcard. But with the expanded playoff format, our level of competition is going to be the Jays, White Sox (who will be sneaky good), and Angels. The pitching sucks, but the offense is going to be great, maybe the lineup can carry us to a wild card.

Not to be pedantic, but is it two third-place wild cards, or best two wild cards? If, say, the AL East whoops the NL East, they could have 4 teams with "good" records. And, in contrast, if the other NL divisions clobber their respective AL counterparts, we could have 4 teams advance from the AL East, with only the required 2 from the AL Central and AL West.

In fact, I just looked it up - that seems to be what's happening.

Everything to know about expanded playoffs

Seeds 1-3 will be East, Central, West winners, in order of record.
Seeds 4-6 will be E, C, W second place, in order of record.
Seeds 7 and 8 can come from any (or the same) division, placed in order of record - so it's like a Wild Card

I'm guessing it's unlikely that a 4th place team gets a Wild Card, but it's possible.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Not to be pedantic, but is it two third-place wild cards, or best two wild cards? If, say, the AL East whoops the NL East, they could have 4 teams with "good" records. And, in contrast, if the other NL divisions clobber their respective AL counterparts, we could have 4 teams advance from the AL East, with only the required 2 from the AL Central and AL West.

In fact, I just looked it up - that seems to be what's happening.

Everything to know about expanded playoffs

Seeds 1-3 will be East, Central, West winners, in order of record.
Seeds 4-6 will be E, C, W second place, in order of record.
Seeds 7 and 8 can come from any (or the same) division, placed in order of record - so it's like a Wild Card

I'm guessing it's unlikely that a 4th place team gets a Wild Card, but it's possible.
Technically, yes. though the east is the only division I could see it happening in (with the Jays and Sox fighting it out for 3rd/4th

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So Verdugo is a great young player that will replace Mookie, but he's not good enough to bat against a lefty? WTF?

Well, from what I've heard it's more that Roenicke is giving JBJ the opening day start out of respect since he's a veteran, but Verdugo is going to start more often than not, with Pillar and JBJ effectively platooning R/L. This is just a case of getting Pillar in against a leftie rather than any slight to Verdugo.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Well, from what I've heard it's more that Roenicke is giving JBJ the opening day start out of respect since he's a veteran, but Verdugo is going to start more often than not, with Pillar and JBJ effectively platooning R/L. This is just a case of getting Pillar in against a leftie rather than any slight to Verdugo.

Don't mean it as a knock on the player, but at the Sox for always doing stupid shit like this and thinking they're smarter than everyone else in the world. Verdugo hits lefty pitching better than he does RHP. It makes zero sense to give him a seat. If you wanted JBJ in, sit Pillar then. In reality, it should be Bradley sitting because he's the weakest hitter of the 4 OFs they have.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Don't mean it as a knock on the player, but at the Sox for always doing stupid shit like this and thinking they're smarter than everyone else in the world. Verdugo hits lefty pitching better than he does RHP. It makes zero sense to give him a seat. If you wanted JBJ in, sit Pillar then. In reality, it should be Bradley sitting because he's the weakest hitter of the 4 OFs they have.

100% agree

if it’s a one off thing for “respect” then by all means, but I don’t want to see it again for the rest of the season. It’s not logical

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
100% agree

if it’s a one off thing for “respect” then by all means, but I don’t want to see it again for the rest of the season. It’s not logical

If it were a regular length season, I'd be more okay with it. Since this is a f***ing sprint, you cannot afford to do things like this because every game's value is higher than usual.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I just can't wait until Alex Cora is back in the dugout next year. A small part of me hopes that Roenicke is a mess there to give ownership the excuse to make that move.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I just can't wait until Alex Cora is back in the dugout next year. A small part of me hopes that Roenicke is a mess there to give ownership the excuse to make that move.
Cora is likely done and won't be back here in this market.....I don't believe you'll see Hinch anytime soon either once those suspensions are lifted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad