Red Sox/MLB Buffalo Blue Jays - Mookie Betts agrees to sign 12-year, $365 million contract extension with LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That's exactly why I'm assuming the 2020-21 NHL regular is a bust until a vaccine/cure is found - the logistics of dealing with 31 teams and 31 different rinks is just too much. Add into that the fact that they'll be crossing international borders? They'd have to do something nutty like completely change to a "division-only" schedule, AND create new divisions, with one division being the Canadian Division, necessitating a ton of cross time zone travel.

I was skeptical about MLB starting up, but hoped that the outdoor, no-contact aspect of it would help. Of course, sutpid's gonna stupid, and Wally's 100% right about the three simple things that are necessary to get rid of COVID. If those three things were implemented, it would get the US to where other countries in the EU are right now in about 2-3 months.

perhaps you could see new leagues emerge that are local and don't have to travel. Maybe a Quebec Pro league or Ontario League will emerge if pro sports looks to be on the ropes

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
If I'm being honest, I wouldn't bat an eye at this whole thing coming to end. The Red Sox are not a contender and I have no interest in watching the crap they are sending to the mound (sorry Tom Caron). Plus it's another year where the Dodgers and Yankees can't win a WS when they have a great chance ;)

The biggest thing for this year was resetting the luxury tax. If the season is canceled prior to the trade deadline (August 1st), the luxury tax isn't reset, so they wouldn't spend any money on free agents again.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
How are European soccer leagues pulling this off? They are still travelling to stadiums across their countries. No fans but all of those leagues have successfully completed their seasons.

Makes you question how the Marlins situation came about. I guess all it takes is one person not taking the necessary precautions.

@Gee Wally said it. European countries have done a much better job of controlling this than we have. They flattened their curve, while ours is spiking, again. Some states have done a good job with controlling it, but others have not. To copy the European leagues you'd basically need a country-wide policy/protocol, which we don't have. The entire return-to-play effort requires that all of the players buy-in and separate themselves from the outside world, and it only takes one or two players not doing that to start an outbreak. It should really not come as any surprise that a team from Florida would be the first with an outbreak.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Leave it to the Marlins....

Robert Stock was a good claim by the Sox, he throws gas. Might as well throw him at the wall and see if he sticks

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
If I'm being honest, I wouldn't bat an eye at this whole thing coming to end. The Red Sox are not a contender and I have no interest in watching the crap they are sending to the mound (sorry Tom Caron). Plus it's another year where the Dodgers and Yankees can't win a WS when they have a great chance ;)
That would actually be really bad for the Red Sox if the season doesn't finish, because their luxury tax wouldn't reset, while all players still get a years worth of service time.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
upload_2020-7-27_13-31-17.jpeg

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
seems like they'll cancel any games bc of covid and reschedule them like a rain out?
I would assume that's the plan for now, but they've left themselves little to no wiggle room in terms of rescheduling multiple games with the condensed schedule.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I would assume that's the plan for now, but they've left themselves little to no wiggle room in terms of rescheduling multiple games with the condensed schedule.

the Baltimore Marlins game might not even need to be played bc both teams might be out of the playoffs early. Play only if necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad