Red Sox/MLB Buffalo Blue Jays - Mookie Betts agrees to sign 12-year, $365 million contract extension with LA

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Opening weekend takeaway from CBS Sports:

The rotation is bad: This is a surprise to only those who haven't paid attention. Still, it's not encouraging that the most impressive part of Martin Perez's start was that he found a way to squeak through five innings. It's not encouraging that Nathan Eovaldi (whose start did look good in the box score) struggled to miss bats (seven whiffs on 89 pitches) and manage contact (90.3 mph average exit velocity-against) versus what is possibly the league's worst lineup. The Red Sox don't have many reliable rotation options at this point. They need Perez and Eovaldi to be decent, or otherwise things are going to get ugly.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I get that Eovaldi outperformed what he should have judging by the advanced stats but I thought he was fine, I certainly wouldn’t be lumping him In with Martin Perez

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

Hasn't even been a week.

There is no way they make it through a full season.

Well, that was predictable.

I will say the one sport that I thought had a fighting chance to pull of a season was baseball, because there is such little contact between players. Having said that, I agree that pulling off a full season seems very unlikely.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
How are European soccer leagues pulling this off? They are still travelling to stadiums across their countries. No fans but all of those leagues have successfully completed their seasons.

Makes you question how the Marlins situation came about. I guess all it takes is one person not taking the necessary precautions.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
How are European soccer leagues pulling this off? They are still travelling to stadiums across their countries. No fans but all of those leagues have successfully completed their seasons.

Makes you question how the Marlins situation came about. I guess all it takes is one person not taking the necessary precautions.
because the Champions/Premier League have not or had almost completed their seasons when everything stopped

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Huh? What does that have to do with anything? They have been back for weeks now and MLB can't even get through a few days.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Well, that was predictable.

I will say the one sport that I thought had a fighting chance to pull of a season was baseball, because there is such little contact between players. Having said that, I agree that pulling off a full season seems very unlikely.

My guess is that baseball's Achilles' heel was the contact with the outside world. You've got players traveling between 10 different cities in 3 separate bubbles, going in and out of hotels that aren't bubbled in the same way that the NHL hotels are. One or two players decide to "go for a walk" and see the city, and BOOM, COVID, despite the fact that they don't touch each other during the game.

Hockey would likely see a different pattern of transmission. Their seal from the outside world is much stronger. Hopefully nobody's planning ways to breach the bubble - most of the players have seen Toronto before, and what is there to do in Edmonton? Background COVID is much less prevalent in Canada than, say, Miami, so even if there were a breach, the people breaching said bubble will be less likely to have COVID in the first place, and thus less likely to transmit it.

However - if, somehow, COVID does get into the NHL bubble, it's gonna spread like wildfire. All teams in a small number of hotels, being served by the same group of hotel staff. Full contact hockey games where players are exchanging bodily fluids. If one person gets it it, it's going to spread to a LOT more people than on a baseball team....and given that we have - what is it now, 12 people? - on the Marlins with COVID, that doesn't bode well.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
If I'm being honest, I wouldn't bat an eye at this whole thing coming to end. The Red Sox are not a contender and I have no interest in watching the crap they are sending to the mound (sorry Tom Caron). Plus it's another year where the Dodgers and Yankees can't win a WS when they have a great chance ;)

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

because those countries took the necessary steps to flatten the spread.
The three Ws.

Wear a mask.
Wash your hands.
Watch your distance.

until we do the same the virus will continue to rage.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
My guess is that baseball's Achilles' heel was the contact with the outside world. You've got players traveling between 10 different cities in 3 separate bubbles, going in and out of hotels that aren't bubbled in the same way that the NHL hotels are. One or two players decide to "go for a walk" and see the city, and BOOM, COVID, despite the fact that they don't touch each other during the game.

Hockey would likely see a different pattern of transmission. Their seal from the outside world is much stronger. Hopefully nobody's planning ways to breach the bubble - most of the players have seen Toronto before, and what is there to do in Edmonton? Background COVID is much less prevalent in Canada than, say, Miami, so even if there were a breach, the people breaching said bubble will be less likely to have COVID in the first place, and thus less likely to transmit it.

However - if, somehow, COVID does get into the NHL bubble, it's gonna spread like wildfire. All teams in a small number of hotels, being served by the same group of hotel staff. Full contact hockey games where players are exchanging bodily fluids. If one person gets it it, it's going to spread to a LOT more people than on a baseball team....and given that we have - what is it now, 12 people? - on the Marlins with COVID, that doesn't bode well.

Bubble seems like a good way to host tournament style play, but like the MLB I don't think the NHL couldn't pull that off over an 82 game season. NHL playing in 2 cities is very similar to how a world junior tourney is played.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Again, shorter season doesn't matter for what we are talking about. They have been back for weeks and have not had a problem. MLB is already in chaos after a few days.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Again, shorter season doesn't matter for what we are talking about. They have been back for weeks and have not had a problem. MLB is already in chaos after a few days.
no they haven't

typical spring training is 6 weeks, summer camp was 3, then there's Toronto's issues, then adding the health/safety protocols and the fight over how long a truncated season would be, and then the dissolution of minor league baseball for 2020, at least

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
no they haven't

typical spring training is 6 weeks, summer camp was 3, then there's Toronto's issues, then adding the health/safety protocols and the fight over how long a truncated season would be, and then the dissolution of minor league baseball for 2020, at least

You are completely missing his point

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I honestly don't know how to communicate to you. European soccer leagues have been playing for weeks now. If you don't believe me try looking it up.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Bubble seems like a good way to host tournament style play, but like the MLB I don't think the NHL could pull that off over an 82 game season. NHL playing in 2 cities is very similar to how a world junior tourney is played.

That's exactly why I'm assuming the 2020-21 NHL regular is a bust until a vaccine/cure is found - the logistics of dealing with 31 teams and 31 different rinks is just too much. Add into that the fact that they'll be crossing international borders? They'd have to do something nutty like completely change to a "division-only" schedule, AND create new divisions, with one division being the Canadian Division, necessitating a ton of cross time zone travel.

I was skeptical about MLB starting up, but hoped that the outdoor, no-contact aspect of it would help. Of course, sutpid's gonna stupid, and Wally's 100% right about the three simple things that are necessary to get rid of COVID. If those three things were implemented, it would get the US to where other countries in the EU are right now in about 2-3 months.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I honestly don't know how to communicate to you. European soccer leagues have been playing for weeks now. If you don't believe me try looking it up.
and they, like everything else didn't compete for months....why would NBCSN have to go find programming to replace them on the weekends when that league was scheduled.... it's why Sky Sports News is a part of the NBCSN Lineup

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
and they, like everything else didn't compete for months....why would NBCSN have to go find programming to replace them on the weekends when that league was scheduled.... it's why Sky Sports News is a part of the NBCSN Lineup

I know they didn't compete for months. I have no idea what you are talking about.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->