Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Most Likely Senior Bowl Prospects To Go Round 1 - The Draft Network

JON LEDYARD - JANUARY 28, 2019

biPzOvwX

Most of the prospects in Mobile this past week will get drafted in April, with a plethora likely to come off the board in the top 100 picks. Only a handful will be Round 1 picks however, perhaps less this year than even in years’ past. After studying this crop of Senior Bowl candidates closely, here are the only players from the roster that I believe have a shot at coming off the board in the first 32 picks on April 25.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Spend the money on Offensive Tackle and Center. Add depth on the D-Line later in the draft and with cheaper UFA signings. Use the draft for skill position guys early (WR/TE) and some OL.
Trade down should be a very real possibility.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
No point in paying sub standard players more than they are worth just because there is cap space available. That's a horrible strategy.

Keep the cap space if you have to then maybe overpay the following year when there might be some better talent available at WR & when Allen has had a year developing well behind a competent OL.

Bills have to pay for talent period. That type of thinking is what lets a Robert Woods leave or better yet never acquire a Robert woods. This is an absolute critical year for Allen. He is entering 2019 as the clear #1 franchise QB and after a promising rookie year that did have more INTs then pass tds and a completion % closer to 50 then 60 due to no talent the Bills must spend $. I do not care if we have to pay Golden Tate an extra mil per year to secure him. Or give Tevin Coleman a salary among the 10-15 range at his position to entice him to join.

Bills need a new RB, WR1 and TE1. 2 of the 3 must be addressed pre draft. Hell there are some damn good TEs in this draft, would love to add Tate+Williams then trade down and use both 2nds on a TE and WR. Get OL in FA. We have big $, use it. I am not saying overpay for the Russell Bodine types but to get the premier talent. NFL is not long term you do not plan for 3 years down the line at all.

Tevin Coleman if given 4/30 would become tied for 7th among RBs in APY with McKinnon who also got that in free agency. Yeah if McCoy is kept that means we have 2 of the top 8 RBs in terms of APY but Shady is gone after 2019. Coleman is ready to be a #1 and he is definitely a top 20 RB at least. He can catch too. Giving Coleman 7.5 means that an early pick would not have to be used until 2020 or 2021 at the earliest.

As for WRs Tate can get 10 mil per which puts him among Moncrief, Enunwa, Stills, Wilson which are similar WRs. Paying Tate 10 mil per for 3 years is not a bad overpayment. 17.5 mil per for Coleman and Tate may be nearly a quarter of the cap space but that is for a solid RB1 and a guy who becomes our defacto WR1. We cannot go into 2019 without proven playmakers. Drafted WRs almost never become impact 1000+ yard guys as rookies and hell outside of JuJu the 2017 was loaded with WRs and only JuJu has become a stud. No one else has come close to 1000 yards. Corey Davis, John Ross , Mike Williams all better WR prospects then anyone in this draft and none have become the ODB types that they were expected to be. I want a vet starter WR regardless if we go WR in the 1st...you need 3-4 solid receivers today. Allen has 2. And both are nowhere near the top 30 at WR. Zay may become a decent #2 and Foster a big play #3 type. Still need that 80 catch,1000 yard guy. Thats Tate.

Last edited:
Reactions: CraniumCram

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
No point in paying sub standard players more than they are worth just because there is cap space available. That's a horrible strategy.

Keep the cap space if you have to then maybe overpay the following year when there might be some better talent available at WR & when Allen has had a year developing well behind a competent OL.

I'd love to see Chargers and Bucs fans react to hearing Williams and Humphries described as sub-standard. Simply not true. Like saying Robert Woods was sub-standard on the Bills.

The Bills have $126 million in cap space next year as it stands. $17m more than the 2nd highest team. They have the room to address every position they need to both this offseason and next. I don't get this uber-conservative approach, unless you just don't understand where they really stand when it comes to talent level and cap situation.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I think you guys are over rating some of these UFAs just because they are available. Also - so much of the NFL is about system fit. It's on management to make this judgement.

I see Williams/Humphreys as what they are for their current teams - #3 receivers. Even Tate you can't say is an outright #1 type. He does his best work on short throws with RAC. I think to best utilise Allen's strength you need the opposite.

I like Coleman but can you honestly say spending so much cap on 2 aging RBs is smart? RB seems to be a position more than most where young, unheralded players can make an instant impact.

I am all for overpaying the top OL UFAs to sign - Paridis & so on.

I realise the financial/cap landscape of the NFL is different to the NHL but giving out stupid contracts should never be considered smart.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Yeah I'm really not interested in spending money on a RB. If you fix the line, Shady still has something left in the tank, and the depth backs are fine. The O-line run blocking was even worse than their pass blocking this season, our backs had nowhere to run.
I'm not sure if that's true. He's well past the age where RBs typically fall off a cliff and didn't look remotely impressive last year. when Chris Ivory is the more effective back...

I'm the last person that's ever going to advocate for big spending (assets or money) at the RB position, but we're in need of an infusion of talent there. If it were up to me we'd cut Shady and recoup the 7 million in cap space we'd save. But it doesn't seem like the Bills want to do that. So at the very least I want to minimize his role. I'm not in love with the Tevin Coleman idea, but he would at least give us a good pass catching RB, something most good offenses have and we don't. Then in the draft I want us to use a day 2 or day 3 pick on a tiny fast RB that is underdrafted because of size issues. Not sure who that player is, but we desperately need someone in that role. Our darth of offensive speedsters doesn't just apply to WR.

Bryce Love is a guy I've had my eye on all season. Was thought of as a first round pick, then had an injury frustrated season. I think his speed could add a whole new dimension to our offense. I'd happily use a day 2 pick on him.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Piling-on what @Rowley Birkin said, I don't want so much cap used up this season that another spending orgy can't be done next season.

I don't want to use cap money on a high-price UFA running back. There are always capable backs who get cut loose in camp. Teams don't carry 6 or 7 RBs like they did years ago. Good enough players will be available. A high-price UFA back behind a shitty line and poor scheme is a waste, as the past couple years have shown us with @cutondime25, regardless of age.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Piling-on what @Rowley Birkin said, I don't want so much cap used up this season that another spending orgy can't be done next season.

I don't want to use cap money on a high-price UFA running back. There are always capable backs who get cut loose in camp. Teams don't carry 6 or 7 RBs like they did years ago. Good enough players will be available. A high-price UFA back behind a ****ty line and poor scheme is a waste, as the past couple years have shown us with @cutondime25, regardless of age.
I generally agree. If we’re looking for a cheaper, shorter term free agent RB, Bilal Powell is a name is be interested. Good pass catcher, home run ability, old enough that he’d e cheap and short term.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
I see Williams/Humphreys as what they are for their current teams - #3 receivers. Even Tate you can't say is an outright #1 type. He does his best work on short throws with RAC. I think to best utilise Allen's strength you need the opposite.

The Bills are in absolutely no position to be picky about what specific breed of receiver they should be bringing in. They need talent, period. And Tate did just fine with Stafford, who is a strong arm thrower a lot like Allen.

Williams and Humphries are #3s when your other receivers are Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Mike Evans, and Desean Jackson. Two of the best passing offenses in the league. On this team either of them would instantly become the most reliable target.

Williams has already had a 1000+ yard season and carries a 16.3 career YPC. This year his 15.9 was 9th in the league among receivers.

Humphries was 29th in rec yards by a WR, and 18th in receptions by a WR this year. Low end #1 receiver numbers. Far better than any Bill.

The phrase #3 receiver does not apply to them. What the Bills have now are #3 receivers. Williams and Humphries, and several other players in this FA class, are clear upgrades, and them not being bona fide #1 receivers makes no difference in whether or not the Bills should sign them. Their glaring dearth of talent at the position makes it obvious that such a signing is as necessary as any other move this offseason. This is the time to get their Robert Woods, and when they still inevitably have loads of cap space next year they can get their Brandin Cooks.

Last edited:

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
The Bills are in absolutely no position to be picky about what specific breed of receiver they should be bringing in. They need talent, period. And Tate did just fine with Stafford, who is strong arm thrower a lot like Allen.

Williams and Humphries are #3s when your other receivers are Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Mike Evans, and Desean Jackson. Two of the best passing offenses in the league. On this team either of them would instantly become the most reliable target.

Williams has already had a 1000+ yard season and carries a 16.3 career YPC. This year his 15.9 was 9th in the league among receivers.

Humphries was 29th in rec yards by a WR, and 18th in receptions by a WR this year. Low end #1 receiver numbers. Far better than any Bill.

The phrase #3 receiver does not apply to them. What the Bills have now are #3 receivers. Williams and Humphries, and several other players in this FA class, are clear upgrades, and them not being bona fide #1 receivers makes no difference in whether or not the Bills should sign them. Their glaring dearth of talent at the position makes it obvious that such a signing is as necessary as any other move this offseason. This is the time to get their Robert Woods, and when they still inevitably have loads of cap space next year they can get their Brandin Cooks.
2nd pro season - Zay Jones = 56 Rec. 652 Yds. 7 TD
2nd pro season - Robert Woods = 65 Rec. 699 Yds. 5 TD (Year 6 is first with more than 65 catches and 800 Yds., still hasn't surpassed 6 TDs)
2nd pro season - Adam Humphries = 55 Rec. 622 Yds. 2 TD (Year 4 is first with more than 61 catches and 800 Yds., still hasn't surpassed 5 TDs)
2nd pro season - Golden Tate = 35 Rec. 382 Yds. 3 TD (Year 4 is first with more than 68 catches and 700 Yds. had 7 TDs once in career)

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'm a little wary of Golden Tate. He's been one of my favorite players for a long time, but his production dipped big time last year. He could easily be the next in a long line of productive receivers to just fall off a cliff when they join a new team.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
I think you guys are over rating some of these UFAs just because they are available. Also - so much of the NFL is about system fit. It's on management to make this judgement.

I like Coleman but can you honestly say spending so much cap on 2 aging RBs is smart? RB seems to be a position more than most where young, unheralded players can make an instant impact.

I am all for overpaying the top OL UFAs to sign - Paridis & so on.

I realise the financial/cap landscape of the NFL is different to the NHL but giving out stupid contracts should never be considered smart.

How is Coleman aging? He is literally turning 26 in April and has 528 career carries. Shady received 635 carries before he even turned 24.

Coleman can run, catch and find the end zone. When have the Bills ever got lucky finding a stud RB outside of the 1st or 2nd round aside from Fred? And Fred while very good was never a stud.

Travis Henry, Willis McGahee, Antowain Smith, CJ Spiller, LeSean McCoy, OJ, Thurman Thomas, Joe Cribbs,Wray Cartlon (26th overall pick),Marshawn Lynch.

10 of the 13 leading rushers in Bills history were either 1st or 2nd round picks or in Carltons case the 26th overall pick.

The Bills have almost never found success in late round or UDFA rbs.Just because other teams have does not mean we will hit gold. Coleman is ready to be a #1. If he gets McKinnons contract that would end before his age 30 season.One more year of Shady would not hurt. Coleman and Shady can split 60/40 for 2019. In 2020 we can draft a RB in the mid rounds.

Coleman has averaged 8 tds per 16 games while being a 1B back or injury fill in. He still has fresh legs and probably has a good 1000 carries in him. 4/30 with 15 mil guaranteed is not a back breaker.

As for Tate, yes his production dipped last year but prior to this season he had 90+ catches each of the 4 years prior with 1000+ yards 3 of those 4.His situation last year was also not the best.He is not a true #1 but he is exactly the target Allen needs over Benjamin from last year.

The Bills have almost no talent on offense. Allen cannot continue to play behind arguably the worst OL in the league, the worst TE group in the league and probably the worst WR corps in the league because we do not want to overpay free agents by a couple million.

Draft picks are not guaranteed to pan out. Some times you need to overpay for a proven vet. Allen is not the QB you want to throw to the wolves with no talent around him because you want to just "build" through the draft. After next season half of Allens 4 year rookie deal is up and you have just 1 more year before you have to make a decision on picking up the 5th year option.

If Allen continues to have no talent around him and puts up 20 total TDs and about the same amount of turnovers averaging 200 pass yards a game in 2019 that leaves 2020 before a big decision has to be made on Allens future. Stop trying to be cheap. Ralph is gone. The Browns spent big and "overpaid" bringing in veterans and they just had Baker Mayfield break the rookie td record. Jets "overpaid" Enunwa to ensure Darnold would have a talented WR to throw to.

TheStorm

Sep 15, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
Anyone read that recent article by the Athletic on the Bills ability to attract free agents? I don't have a subscription but I read the first two paragraphs and that by itself was a bit depressing.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Love is a guy I've had my eye on all season. Was thought of as a first round pick, then had an injury frustrated season. I think his speed could add a whole new dimension to our offense. I'd happily use a day 2 pick on him.

I think this is exactly where they should be looking to find another RB. Would be great to get a Tarik Cohen type in the mid rounds. Not wasting several million on a guy like Coleman.

Who else do you have an eye on as potential sleepers this year? I remember you were high on Jaylen Samuels last year?

Reactions: Husko

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

So they have done well in a totally different situation playing in a totally different scheme/style of offence.

They have benefitted from the likes of Evans/Allen drawing the oppositions attention /best defensive players.

They have probably not played the number of snaps a typical #1 would & certainly wouldn't have played the same type of role.

Obvious to assume then that either would come to the Bills & tear it up....

Not saying its impossible but for sure it's unlikely. And I don't see that as being worth a massive chunk of cap.

I'd honestly rather just trade for Antonio Brown. At least you know what your getting for your money.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

7 QBs Coach Candidates

By Ryan Talbot | Contributing writer
The Buffalo Bills lost quarterbacks coach David Culley to the Baltimore Ravens on Tuesday. Culley spent two years with the Bills and played a role in developing Josh Allen during his rookie year.

With Culley gone, Buffalo needs to find someone who can step into his role and help Allen take the next step in his development. While there are many candidates on the market, here are seven options to be the Bills' next quarterbacks coach.

Derek Anderson
Jordan Palmer
Ken Dorsey
Jim Bob Cooter
Bill Musgrave
Bill Lazor
Shane Waldron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events