Buffalo Bills: Offseason - Free Agency: Trade for Antonio Brown is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The list above - I'm obviously assuming some of these holes get filled via free agency. I guess there are some potentially good OL available - but really is UFA route the best way to get talented players without overpaying? WR group in particular looks poor this year as well to me at least.

Good call on Teller I forgot him. But it's still three starting spots to fill. Hopefully they get the 2 best free agents on the market & select J. Williams at 9.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
The list above - I'm obviously assuming some of these holes get filled via free agency. I guess there are some potentially good OL available - but really is UFA route the best way to get talented players without overpaying? WR group in particular looks poor this year as well to me at least.

Good call on Teller I forgot him. But it's still three starting spots to fill. Hopefully they get the 2 best free agents on the market & select J. Williams at 9.
Assuming J. Williams is available at 9, I think I'd be pretty content going into training camp with a line that looked like this:

LT: J. Williams - Sirles
LG: Dawkins - Teller
C: Paradis(Broncos FA)- Bodine
RG: Glowinski(Colts FA) - Boetger
RT: Webb(Colts FA) - *draft pick*

After LT, C is the most important position on the OL in my opinion. Having someone with Paradis' ability and experience will be a huge help to Allen.

In addition to improving the line, there is plenty of flexibility (dare I say depth?). Should Williams need to start at RT or on the bench you have Dawkins able to switch back. Then Teller could return to a starting role at LG or have Glowinski slide over from RG. Glowinski is 26 and should be a staple over the next couple seasons forcing Teller to earn his snaps and push Dawkins back to tackle. Webb is a stopgap familiar with Johnson that would fill in unless Dawkins is the better option or the draft pick proves he's ready. Sirles showed desired versatility by playing T and G last season and Boetger seemed to make an impression on the coaches.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

WKBW) — The week of practice at the 2019 Senior Bowl is now complete, which means teams in attendance will head back to their evaluations on these players after seeing them in person for three days. It's also fair to note how prevalent the Senior Bowl has been for the Buffalo Bills in building their rookie classes the last two years.

Over the last two offseasons, the Bills brought in 10 players that accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl, at least, in 2017 and 2018. First-round picks Josh Allen and Tre'Davious White (had to pull out from the practice week due to injury), second-round picks Dion Dawkins and Zay Jones, third-round pick Harrison Phillips, fourth-round pick Taron Johnson, fifth-round picks Siran Neal, Wyatt Teller, and Nathan Peterman, and undrafted rookie Levi Wallace all were apart of the event.

Now, that could merely be by coincidence, but this is one of the first events that the general manager and head coach meets these prospects, and some can have a lasting impact. Will it be the same case in 2019 for the Bills?

In case it is, it's probably a good time to get to know some of the names that both had successful practice weeks, and that would fit both the Bills' needs and roster:

WR Deebo Samuel, South Carolina
T Andre Dillard, Washington State
T Dalton Risner, Kansas State
G Chris Lindstrom, Boston College
C Garrett Bradbury, NC State
DE Montez Sweat, Mississippi State
DE/SLB Oshane Ximines, Old Dominion

Honorable Mention:
WR Terry McLaurin (Ohio State), TE Dax Raymond (Utah State), T Max Scharping (Northern Illinois), T Kaleb McGary (Washington), C Erik McCoy (Texas A&M), DE Jaylon Ferguson (Louisiana Tech), DT Byron Cowart (Maryland)

Last edited:

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY

It's not a terrific group of FA receivers, but I still think they could do pretty well, and there's always the chance that more guys are released. Plus, their ability to overspend is going to be their greatest strength. They almost have to overpay a couple guys with how much cap they have in the next 2 seasons and so few guys on track for big raises.

My top targets would be Tyrell Williams, Adam Humphries, and Chris Conley. All guys that are ready for bigger roles. Then tier B would be Funchess, Moncrief, John Brown, and Tate.

Reactions: Husko

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
It's not a terrific group of FA receivers, but I still think they could do pretty well, and there's always the chance that more guys are released. Plus, their ability to overspend is going to be their greatest strength. They almost have to overpay a couple guys with how much cap they have in the next 2 seasons and so few guys on track for big raises.

My top targets would be Tyrell Williams, Adam Humphries, and Chris Conley. All guys that are ready for bigger roles. Then tier B would be Funchess, Moncrief, John Brown, and Tate.
I’m not against signing a veteran WR, but I think I’d prefer the draft to address the position. You’ve got Foster, Jones and Williams. Add someone in the second round, maybe a first round grade that drops and you’re in pretty good shape.

I’d rather use the money on TE Cook to pair with Croom and a draft pick. The position is supposedly pretty deep in the draft. Find a DE with the 2nd ‘3rd round pick’ and DT (Slayton) in the 4th. RB, LB and another OL still to come.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I'd rather have vet receivers and spend the picks on o line that can protect Allen for a while.
Couldn’t disagree more; especially with how many OL holes need to be filled. Allen needs an OL with experience to help him with recognizing blitzes and keeping him upright. Besides, with at least 3 starters needed, you’d be relying on a 3rd rounder or later to step in and be good from day 1.

QB: Allen, Barkley, Anderson
RB: McCoy, Ivory, Ford/Murphy/7th round pick/FA
FB: Demarco
TE: Cook (FA), Croom, *3rd round pick*
WR: *2nd round pick*, Williams
WR: Foster, McKenzie
WR: Jones
(Offensive Line from previous post)
LT: *1st round pick*, Sirles
LG: Dawkins, Teller
C: Paradis(FA), Bodine
RG: Glowinski(FA), Boettger
RT: Webb, *5th round pick*

DE: Hughes, Yarborough, *4th round pick*
DT: Lotulelei, Phillips
DT: Phillips, *4th round pick*
DE: Lawson, Murphy
LB: Alexander, *5th round pick*
LB: Edwards, Stanford
LB: Milano, Lacy
CB: Wallace, Pitts, *6th round pick*
CB: White, Johnson
FS: Poyer, Bush
SS: Hyde, Neal, Marlowe

I’m still a believer that you can find a RB anywhere. Even if we don’t find McCoys successor this offseason, we can always get one and plug them in next offseason. Especially if the rest of our lineup fixes are successful.

Not happy with my LB depth, but I’m sure there are more option for the, to choose from out there. Specifically, need to locate Alexander’s replacement.

I didn’t spend a lot of money, so there could definitely be some upgrades coming I didn’t take into consideration. Maybe a veteran WR, maybe McCoy at DT, maybe better competition for Wallace, who knows?

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Couldn’t disagree more; especially with how many OL holes need to be filled. Allen needs an OL with experience to help him with recognizing blitzes and keeping him upright. Besides, with at least 3 starters needed, you’d be relying on a 3rd rounder or later to step in and be good from day 1.

I’m still a believer that you can find a RB anywhere. Even if we don’t find McCoys successor this offseason, we can always get one and plug them in next offseason. Especially if the rest of our lineup fixes are successful.

Not happy with my LB depth, but I’m sure there are more option for the, to choose from out there. Specifically, need to locate Alexander’s replacement.

I didn’t spend a lot of money, so there could definitely be some upgrades coming I didn’t take into consideration. Maybe a veteran WR, maybe McCoy at DT, maybe better competition for Wallace, who knows?

I'm not talking about not getting FA linemen. Just using the picks on linemen. Paradis is my #1 free agent.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
We need vet lineman and vet receivers and draft picks of the same. It’s not an either or.

And to echo the above, Humphries is becoming one of my top targets as well. He’s been quietly solid throughout his career.

Reactions: CraniumCram

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
I’m not against signing a veteran WR, but I think I’d prefer the draft to address the position. You’ve got Foster, Jones and Williams. Add someone in the second round, maybe a first round grade that drops and you’re in pretty good shape.

I’d rather use the money on TE Cook to pair with Croom and a draft pick. The position is supposedly pretty deep in the draft. Find a DE with the 2nd ‘3rd round pick’ and DT (Slayton) in the 4th. RB, LB and another OL still to come.

Even if they signed Tyrell Williams, the top guy on my list, I'd still be in favor of drafting a 2nd round receiver. Doubly so if they trade down and have two 2nds or 3rds.

Chicago added Tre Burton, Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, and Anthony Miller last offseason. Not to mention Bennie Fowler and Javon Wims, no great shakes but still capital spent on the position. I know there's no #1 like A-Rob this year, but I'll bet they're going to try just as hard as Chicago did. Wouldn't be shocked to see 4 or 5 new receivers (TE+WR) in camp this year. Give Allen as many options as possible and see who pops. They have the money for it.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I guess my point is that a veteran OL is far more important than veteran receivers. You are far more likely to have a star WR from the draft ( or UDFA) in year one than you are to have an OL drafted and become a star right away; especially if they aren’t a top pick.

I’d also say that having a solid OL is also far more important than the receivers. If Allen is on his back or running for his life, the receivers are almost immaterial. Give him all the time he needs to find someone open and the receivers will look a lot better too (as long as they aren’t Benjamin and Clay). A competent OL would also make Shady look like a superstar again. And, that too would loosen up coverage.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Even if they signed Tyrell Williams, the top guy on my list, I'd still be in favor of drafting a 2nd round receiver. Doubly so if they trade down and have two 2nds or 3rds.

Chicago added Tre Burton, Allen Robinson, Taylor Gabriel, and Anthony Miller last offseason. Not to mention Bennie Fowler and Javon Wims, no great shakes but still capital spent on the position. I know there's no #1 like A-Rob this year, but I'll bet they're going to try just as hard as Chicago did. Wouldn't be shocked to see 4 or 5 new receivers (TE+WR) in camp this year. Give Allen as many options as possible and see who pops. They have the money for it.
Agreed. I want to see us bring in a whole new fleet of receivers. 2 draft picks and 2 UFAs at least. Humphries, Williams, a first round pick, and a day 2-3 pick would be a nice overhaul. Those four to go with Jones, Foster, and McKenzie might actually resemble an NFL receiving corp.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Agreed. I want to see us bring in a whole new fleet of receivers. 2 draft picks and 2 UFAs at least. Humphries, Williams, a first round pick, and a day 2-3 pick would be a nice overhaul. Those four to go with Jones, Foster, and McKenzie might actually resemble an NFL receiving corp.
Nice overhaul? Sounds like overkill to me. You’re signing T. Williams and Humphries, drafting a first rounder and third rounder, and already have Jones, Foster, D. Williams and McKenzie on the roster. How many receivers are they going to keep?

You’re also taking away a lot of money and draft picks away from improving the OL or other parts of the team. You want a second and Williams or a 1st and Humphries fine but not both.

You want to spend all of the team’s money and draft picks on a single position make it the OL where it really matters.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
I guess my point is that a veteran OL is far more important than veteran receivers. You are far more likely to have a star WR from the draft ( or UDFA) in year one than you are to have an OL drafted and become a star right away; especially if they aren’t a top pick.

I’d also say that having a solid OL is also far more important than the receivers. If Allen is on his back or running for his life, the receivers are almost immaterial. Give him all the time he needs to find someone open and the receivers will look a lot better too (as long as they aren’t Benjamin and Clay). A competent OL would also make Shady look like a superstar again. And, that too would loosen up coverage.

I agree that OL is more important, but improving the WRs and improving the OL are not exclusive propositions. They have 10 draft picks and $73 million in cap space after accounting for signing their draft picks. Beane is licking his chops. They're going to address both positions in free agency, and both positions in the draft.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I agree that OL is more important, but improving the WRs and improving the OL are not exclusive propositions. They have 10 draft picks and $73 million in cap space after accounting for signing their draft picks. Beane is licking his chops. They're going to address both positions in free agency, and both positions in the draft.
Sure.

If you look at my offseason outline posted earlier I think you’ll better understand my thoughts on the topic. Maybe not.

I think I just don’t see the need for many more high end assets being used at WR as others. A high pick or expensive FA and then add some potential surprises for competition.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

I like the look of this & I'm totally with you re UFAs. As said I don't like any of the available UFA options at WR so hope the money there gets spent on the OL.

Paradis & Daryl Williams from Carolina are probably my favourite targets.

Dream offseason:
-Paradis & D Williams as big FA signings
-J Williams at pick 9, Dawkins moves to guard
-One of the group of R1 potential WRs either if someone drops in round 2 or trading back up
-Project TE & RB with later draft picks.

Reactions: Digable5

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Sure.

If you look at my offseason outline posted earlier I think you’ll better understand my thoughts on the topic. Maybe not.

I think I just don’t see the need for many more high end assets being used at WR as others. A high pick or expensive FA and then add some potential surprises for competition.

I'm looking at what the best teams in the league have for skill position depth, and what Chicago did for Trubisky. You may think that's overkill but that is literally the goal. To be that good.

If you're talking about 9th overall as the high end asset in this situation then I agree. But their money needs to be spent somewhere, and your mock has them spending maybe $30m of their $73m available.

They're not going to stand pat with over $40m of cap space and Zay Jones as their most experienced receiver. They need an impact veteran receiver just as badly as they need veteran pass blockers, even if it takes an overpayment to get one here. If that's Tyrell Williams at $13m or whatever, terrific. Their other receivers in this scenario cost about $5m total with none coming up for paydays.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Hell, we have enough $ to sign vet OL and vet WRs. Lets do that while still drafting an OL and WR with 2 of the first 3.

I think a trade down is the best bet if Oliver is gone. I think Oliver will be close to a Donald type player and KW is a massive hole to fill.

If Oliver is there at 9, Oliver, WR round 2, OL round 3.

If we trade down for a 2, WR in round 1, then OL x2 in round 2 and a DL in round 3.

It would be great if we went into the draft after adding Golden Tate, Tevin Coleman and 2 vet OL starters. Then we can just go pure BPA.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006

As soon as anyone has a first round grade, they should just stop playing NCAA football. He had a great year and his stock just dropped. Happens every year that scouts get more tape and the player drops.

It's so rare that a player maintains their highest draft stock through the year. We're talking Oliver at 9 when coming into the year he was thought to be the #1 overall pick.

Digable5

Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
I'm looking at what the best teams in the league have for skill position depth, and what Chicago did for Trubisky. You may think that's overkill but that is literally the goal. To be that good.

If you're talking about 9th overall as the high end asset in this situation then I agree. But their money needs to be spent somewhere, and your mock has them spending maybe $30m of their $73m available.

They're not going to stand pat with over $40m of cap space and Zay Jones as their most experienced receiver. They need an impact veteran receiver just as badly as they need veteran pass blockers, even if it takes an overpayment to get one here. If that's Tyrell Williams at $13m or whatever, terrific. Their other receivers in this scenario cost about $5m total with none coming up for paydays.
"My mock" even says that I didn't spend a lot of money and that it would possibly mean another WR free agent (possibly McCoy at DT, etc....). What I called "overkill" was the suggestion of signing two expensive WRs AND drafting two WRs in the first three rounds of the draft. That only makes sense if you are a championship caliber team with a single weakness.

People like to assume that because we had a good defense last year that we don't need any new assets on that side of the ball. At most anyone is talking about is replacing Kyle. But the DT position may need two players or more if Jordan Phillips doesn't re-sign and Horrible Harry doesn't step up. I also brought up the age of our DE's. We're only starter deep at LB and one of those starters is likely one year from retirement. Taron was a great nickel, but we essentially had 1 CB until Wallace surprised as an UDFA for half a season. You're comfortable with that positional depth? Aside from S (QB?), there are holes at every position. Using $20M+ and 2 early draft picks on WR is just illogical.

The receivers we have aren't as bad as people make them out to be. Get a good TE to replace Clay, replace Benjamin with anyone willing to try (Duke Williams) and you're already leaps and bounds above last year's team. A 2nd round pick and a veteran should be more than enough. Now, give Allen a running game and pass blocking and the receivers will miraculously be open more often.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
No point in paying sub standard players more than they are worth just because there is cap space available. That's a horrible strategy.

Keep the cap space if you have to then maybe overpay the following year when there might be some better talent available at WR & when Allen has had a year developing well behind a competent OL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia