Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2021 Offseason part IV. Final preseason #3 vs Green Bay 1pm Sat 8/28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Hahaha... Cam is still the 2020 Cam. I don't see the patriots winning more than 8 games this year unless Jones unexpectedly lights it up.

Reactions: buffalowing88

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
A Linebacker Contract Boom Is Coming. Will NFL Teams Regret It?

interesting piece on the value of LBers in the modern game.

Unless Edmunds makes a huge leap, I'll happily let him go rather than pay him $17M-ish+ per year. Even if he does improve idk if I'd wanna extend him to that much $ with Milano already being paid.

100000%

I like Edmunds as a person and I don't see him as a wasted pick that we drafted up for but he's a replacement-level linebacker in terms of production. I get that he's a captain, but we can't throw money into him when we could put that towards another OL player in a year or two and just draft a LB around the end of the first. LB's are the modern-day RB's, no matter what that article says.

Last edited:

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Hahaha... Cam is still the 2020 Cam. I don't see the patriots winning more than 8 games this year unless Jones unexpectedly lights it up.

Living in Charlotte, I watched Cam pretty much in-person or while out every single week. He had a shoulder injury around 2018 that wrecked him. It's not highly covered and there will be plenty of people saying that he was just recovering from Covid last year but that's just not true. The Panthers had no reason to give up on the literal face of the city if they didn't think he was already done. I love Cam, dude was an ego for sure but also very, very invested in the city. But he was done by 30. It's ridiculous for the Pats to suggest otherwise. The only thing that scares me is if we ever get bad again, Allen will do the stuff Newton had to do to keep the team in games, and then he'll get the wear and tear we want to avoid. Cam did everything that can be asked of him while he could. Now, he's just done.

Reactions: Waterfowlist

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
100000%

I like Edmunds as a person and I don't see him as a wasted pick that we drafted up for but he's a replacement-level linebacker in terms of production. I get that he's a captain, but we can't throw money into him when we could put that towards another OL player in a year or two and just draft a LB around the end of the first. LB's are the modern-day RB's, no matter what that article says.

I'd say he can be closer to good than replacement level, but he's not gonna be worth the $ he most likely will ask for. Maybe Beane pulls some Jedi salary cap magic and/or Edmunds takes less than he could get in free agency to stay, but I think I'd rather move on from him unless that happens AND he vastly improves. To date, he hasn't been a consistent enough difference maker to command what his next contract will probably be (think Mosley's $17M per year as a starting point). With Josh's contract kicking in, they've gotta get value wherever they can find it. I'd imagine you could plug a solid rookie LBer or a decent vet in next to Milano and get similar results to what Edmunds has provided thus far in his career.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
A Linebacker Contract Boom Is Coming. Will NFL Teams Regret It?

interesting piece on the value of LBers in the modern game.

Unless Edmunds makes a huge leap, I'll happily let him go rather than pay him $17M-ish+ per year. Even if he does improve idk if I'd wanna extend him to that much $ with Milano already being paid.

I think you should not focus on position - instead you identify a number of key players you are happy paying big money for & then build around them accordingly. Do this each season. The way NFL contracts work you are always going to have flexibility year on year.

For example - since Beane has splurged so many recent high draft picks on the DL you would hope that he doesn't need to spend big money there for a few seasons. This might allow him to pay Edmunds during that period. When the DL needs money allocating to it, Hyde/Poyer will be coming off the books. And so on.

Last edited:

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
Y'all can keep saying untrue things about Edmunds level of production but it doesn't change the fact that: the rest of the NFL (correctly) values him as a top LB; he will be paid like it; if it's not the Bills paying it, we will be unable to replace him with a mid-tier, 7mil/year LB. Lastly, if he gets 17mil/per after 2022, it will be well below that 10% of cap # mentioned and very in line with other contracts being signed at the time

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Y'all can keep saying untrue things about Edmunds level of production but it doesn't change the fact that: the rest of the NFL (correctly) values him as a top LB; he will be paid like it; if it's not the Bills paying it, we will be unable to replace him with a mid-tier, 7mil/year LB. Lastly, if he gets 17mil/per after 2022, it will be well below that 10% of cap # mentioned and very in line with other contracts being signed at the time

I'm not great with NFL contracts - but 17m/per sounds like too much - and I'm an advocate of resigning him.

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
I'm not great with NFL contracts - but 17m/per sounds like too much - and I'm an advocate of resigning him.
I agree for the most part but it's the market, reinforced by the Warner and Leonard contracts. Add another season + option year and a massive cap spike and I wouldn't think top contracts drop appreciably.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

It's not like paying Darnell Nurse $9.5M annually. Is it an overpayment? Yeah, a bit. In an IDEAL world, he signs for the Milano deal......but that's lowballing him rather significantly. Hopefully we can sign him in the $14-15 mil range.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Very few LBs in the league are worth that kind of money. Edmunds is fine, but unless he takes a huge step forward and becomes a true impact player, that's just a bad, bad use of resources. I'd rather just plug and play a rookie.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Very few LBs in the league are worth that kind of money. Edmunds is fine, but unless he takes a huge step forward and becomes a true impact player, that's just a bad, bad use of resources. I'd rather just plug and play a rookie.

Same. Honestly, even if Edmunds takes the step forward Bills fans have been waiting for, I just don't see how you can justify spending that much on an LB , especially when we already have Milano. (Speaking of, I don't see how Edmunds is worth more to this team than Milano.) If we're gonna have another $17M+ contract on D, let's go sign another CB to play with Tre.

Reactions: Husko

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Same. Honestly, even if Edmunds takes the step forward Bills fans have been waiting for, I just don't see how you can justify spending that much on an LB , especially when we already have Milano. (Speaking of, I don't see how Edmunds is worth more to this team than Milano.) If we're gonna have another $17M+ contract on D, let's go sign another CB to play with Tre.
The only way I'd pay that is if he became a true disruptor/difference maker. I'm talking a consensus all pro, several interceptions/sacks/PDs, etc. You can count those caliber of stand-up linebackers in the league on one hand without even using your thumb. If he becomes that, sure. But until then, if we're still in "is he fine or good?" debate-land, no thanks. Not worth it. Draft a day 1 or 2 rookie and move on.

Reactions: Paxon

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I don’t care that it is a “meaningless” game. I don’t care that we won’t see much if any of the big names. I am so ready to watch the game tonight.

I haven’t been this excited for the start of the Bills season in I don’t know how long.

Reactions: misterchainsaw

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I don’t care that it is a “meaningless” game. I don’t care that we won’t see much if any of the big names. I am so ready to watch the game tonight.

I haven’t been this excited for the start of the Bills season in I don’t know how long.

I'm very excited for this season too.

Still don't give a flying * about the pre-season, and not going to waste my time watching it. It's less than pointless. And last year proved that it is completely unnecessary as well. Nothing that happens in them matters one iota one way or another. Unless someone important gets hurt.

I am looking forward to when the real games start though.

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I'm very excited for this season too.

Still don't give a flying * about the pre-season, and not going to waste my time watching it. It's less than pointless. And last year proved that it is completely unnecessary as well. Nothing that happens in them matters one iota one way or another. Unless someone important gets hurt.

I am looking forward to when the real games start though.
I doubt I'll watch the full game but I am ready for football. The last couple of months have been a roller coaster for me and to have some level of normalcy, even if it is a pointless, not needed game, I'm ready for it.

Reactions: vcv
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad