Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
As for Okwara, he was mocked to us on the WalterFootball site in round 4 as a DE/OLB to replace Alexander. I actually bumped him up to pick him in the third. But quite honestly he could very well be a 1st round prospect. I haven't spent much time looking at potential LB draft picks to offer any suggestion of my own. I'm sure we will here names after they visit the Senior Bowl and start setting up interviews during the draft process.

No worries. It's hard to rely on any one site so I usually peruse a few. Up until a few days ago I thought a reasonable day 2 OLB would have been Queen from LSU, but his stock has been rocketing since the NCG.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
They called looking for a bargain. When they found out he wanted to be paid they backed out.

It seems like they had a deal in place and AB said no. Then they went with the next best deal, which was Oakland. I'd assume they made an offer that beat Oakland's, which wasn't really a bargain.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
It seems like they had a deal in place and AB said no. Then they went with the next best deal, which was Oakland. I'd assume they made an offer that beat Oakland's, which wasn't really a bargain.

My understanding is that Beane was fine with paying AB under his current deal but was not willing to negotiate a new contract. And the understanding was that AB wanted a new contract and that's why he was available. So really the Bills were never serious about acquiring AB's services since it was already known in NFL circles that trading for AB would require paying him more $$$ than he was getting in Pittsburgh.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
My understanding is that Beane was fine with paying AB under his current deal but was not willing to negotiate a new contract. And the understanding was that AB wanted a new contract and that's why he was available. So really the Bills were never serious about acquiring AB's services since it was already known in NFL circles that trading for AB would require paying him more $$$ than he was getting in Pittsburgh.
Nah, I think Buffaloed has it correct. Word came to Beane that AB had slept with Poyer's wife before the wedding, and the trade fell through.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
100% yes. Otherwise why even make a trade offer? AB made it clear that he wasn’t playing without a new contract.

I thought it was because they were just doing their due diligence. I read various reports at the time (too lazy to Google and share now) that Beane was not open to extending AB or creating a new contract.

Anyways, that's all past. AB wasn't the only WR out there and they signed a good player in Brown and force fed him like a #1. Hopefully in McDermott's 4th offseason they won't go into the season without a real #1 for the 4th year in a row. They haven't drafted anyone good at WR so there's no one in the pipeline. They either need to hit a bulleye in the draft or write a big check or Allen's development will again be punted down the road.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The more I read about Shenault, the more I think he's the perfect fit. Jack of all trades playmaker that can come in and line up all over the offense. I read one scouting report that calls him a "backyard style player" which sounds like a perfect compliment to Allen. I could see him developing into a Kamara/McCaffrey type player that gets significant touches at both RB and WR, with the difference being that he is more of a WR than a RB.

Yeah - I think Shenault is the guy I'm hoping for above all others. But I don't see him lasting til 22 & he doesn't strike me as a McBeane type of pick.

I've heard comparisons with Deebo Samuel or Corderelle Patterson, but he seems like a guy who breaks the mould compltely.

Interesting you mentioned CMC & Kamara these are my 2 favourite nfl players to watch.

I really like the idea of Ruggs too purely for his speed. I do expect him to be gone by 22 if he puts up a ridiculous 40yd time though.

People covet speed & rightfully so.

I'm taking it as a given both Jeudy & Lamb are long gone by 22 - probably both in the top 10.

Do you have any mid/late round guys to keep an eye on?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Yeah - I think Shenault is the guy I'm hoping for above all others. But I don't see him lasting til 22 & he doesn't strike me as a McBeane type of pick.

I've heard comparisons with Deebo Samuel or Corderelle Patterson, but he seems like a guy who breaks the mould compltely.

Interesting you mentioned CMC & Kamara these are my 2 favourite nfl players to watch.

I really like the idea of Ruggs too purely for his speed. I do expect him to be gone by 22 if he puts up a ridiculous 40yd time though.

People covet speed & rightfully so.

I'm taking it as a given both Jeudy & Lamb are long gone by 22 - probably both in the top 10.

I agree with your assessment that Jeudy and Lamb are the cream of the crop and will be gone.

I love Ruggs, just like I loved Marquise Brown last year. As I harped last year, getting a "big body" doesn't interest me, I just want electric players that can get separation. I'd be ecstatic with him. I think he could easily be there. Brown lasted to #25.

The other obvious guy is Higgins. I know people don't love him and lump him in with Benjamin, but I don't see it. While he does have the contested ball skills of a big receiver, I see plenty of ability to separate and very nice YAC skill. He's probably #5 on my receiver board, but if we took him in the first it's fine by me.

I don't know if there's anyone else that warrants first round status. Maybe Jefferson? Walter Football has Raegor with a first round grade, but I don't know a thing about him other than he's a speed demon which I'm all about.

As for late round guys, unfortunately I haven't dove into this draft class at all. Devonta Smith is an interesting guy to keep an eye on, under the radar because he played behind Ruggs and Jeudy, but 1200 yards and 14 TDs speak for themselves. Give me a couple months and I'll find some stupid late round guy to fall in love with, I'm just not there yet.

I'll also add as an aside, I'm totally for taking a RB day 2. I've long been against using resources on RBs, but our offense is so clearly in need of playmakers, I'll take them wherever we can get them. For example, if a back like Dobbins, who looks like an electric receiver out of the backfield, is there in the second, I'd be all for taking him. With the way the RB position has become more integrated into passing games, adding a good pass catching RB is just like adding a slot receiver in terms of helpfulness to the passing game.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Not by tackles or sacks he was not in any top 3. He was not a top 3 DT. He had a nice season but I do not want to pay elite $ to him.
I don't think Philips is a top 3 DT by any stretch of the imagination, but he was #2 in the league in sacks by a DT (only Donald had more), so you're wrong there. And he did it while only playing about 40% of snaps. He had a very impressive year from a pass rush stand point, and we shouldn't dilute ourselves that fact.

Edit: He was also #2 among DTs in TFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Dog

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I agree with your assessment that Jeudy and Lamb are the cream of the crop and will be gone.

I love Ruggs, just like I loved Marquise Brown last year. As I harped last year, getting a "big body" doesn't interest me, I just want electric players that can get separation. I'd be ecstatic with him. I think he could easily be there. Brown lasted to #25.

The other obvious guy is Higgins. I know people don't love him and lump him in with Benjamin, but I don't see it. While he does have the contested ball skills of a big receiver, I see plenty of ability to separate and very nice YAC skill. He's probably #5 on my receiver board, but if we took him in the first it's fine by me.

I don't know if there's anyone else that warrants first round status. Maybe Jefferson? Walter Football has Raegor with a first round grade, but I don't know a thing about him other than he's a speed demon which I'm all about.

As for late round guys, unfortunately I haven't dove into this draft class at all. Devonta Smith is an interesting guy to keep an eye on, under the radar because he played behind Ruggs and Jeudy, but 1200 yards and 14 TDs speak for themselves. Give me a couple months and I'll find some stupid late round guy to fall in love with, I'm just not there yet.

I'll also add as an aside, I'm totally for taking a RB day 2. I've long been against using resources on RBs, but our offense is so clearly in need of playmakers, I'll take them wherever we can get them. For example, if a back like Dobbins, who looks like an electric receiver out of the backfield, is there in the second, I'd be all for taking him. With the way the RB position has become more integrated into passing games, adding a good pass catching RB is just like adding a slot receiver in terms of helpfulness to the passing game.

Totally with you on all this.

I think if Ruggs goes sub 4.30 he rises like John Ross did the other year.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver

My favorite mid/late WRs:

Denzel Mims, Baylor: just killed it at senior bowl week. great hands, catch radius, physical
Van Jefferson, Florida: Got buried behind Metcalf and Brown at Old Miss, transferred to Florida where QB play was awful. Dad was WR coach. Super technical, smart route running. Great hands.
Michael Pitmman, USC: Big, physical, straight line speed, great run blocker, good special teamer, "process guy."

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I think Shenault is the guy I'm hoping for above all others. But I don't see him lasting til 22 & he doesn't strike me as a McBeane type of pick.

Shenault makes it to 22 in most mocks. A lot of players get tagged with "I doubt he lasts till X pick" but only so many players can actually be picked.

Anyway, those comparisons are apt. He's kind of a cross between a few guys like that. I'm super jealous of SF for having Deebo, so I for one would love to have him.

There are an insane number of WRs this year. T Johnson, C Johnson, Aiyuk, Mims, Edwards, Pittman, Gandy-Golden... I can already tell that if Beane decides that the value of the position lies on day 2, we're going to get a great player, but certain Twitter trolls are going to whine that we "only" got some lame R3 guy.

As for late round guys, unfortunately I haven't dove into this draft class at all. Devonta Smith is an interesting guy to keep an eye on, under the radar because he played behind Ruggs and Jeudy, but 1200 yards and 14 TDs speak for themselves.

Smith went back to school.

My favorite mid/late WRs:

Denzel Mims, Baylor: just killed it at senior bowl week. great hands, catch radius, physical
Van Jefferson, Florida: Got buried behind Metcalf and Brown at Old Miss, transferred to Florida where QB play was awful. Dad was WR coach. Super technical, smart route running. Great hands.
Michael Pitmman, USC: Big, physical, straight line speed, great run blocker, good special teamer, "process guy."

Somebody follows Cover 1 lol. :thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad