Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2020 Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
Somebody follows Cover 1 lol. :thumbu:

I like the Draft Network guys. Joe Marino for Bills, but I also follow Ben Solak and Trevor Sikkema on twitter and have been a regular listener to their podcast for the last two seasons.
I just started following Greg Thompset a few weeks ago after I heard him on Locked on Bills. I have tried to go to the Cover1 website, but do you need to subscribe to view?

Through TDN, Mims and Pittman have been on my radar all year.
Frankly, I'm kind of annoyed that Mims blew up this week.
I wasn't really aware of Jefferson until Solak broke down some of his film on twitter a few months ago.

BTW, I heard Buscalia talking up Chase Claypool of Notre Dame on the latest Bills Beat today. That guy makes me super nervous as he seems really slow and I worry he won't be able to separate at all.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I like the Draft Network guys. Joe Marino for Bills, but I also follow Ben Solak and Trevor Sikkema on twitter and have been a regular listener to their podcast for the last two seasons.
I just started following Greg Thompset a few weeks ago after I heard him on Locked on Bills. I have tried to go to the Cover1 website, but do you need to subscribe to view?

Through TDN, Mims and Pittman have been on my radar all year.
Frankly, I'm kind of annoyed that Mims blew up this week.
I wasn't really aware of Jefferson until Solak broke down some of his film on twitter a few months ago.

BTW, I heard Buscalia talking up Chase Claypool of Notre Dame on the latest Bills Beat today. That guy makes me super nervous as he seems really slow and I worry he won't be able to separate at all.

Those are good sources. Thompsett has been pumping Mims, Pittman, and Jefferson all week.

Claypool is a day 3 guy unless something drastic changes, so if he doesn't pan out at least the investment would be minimal. I honestly think he could go the Darren Waller route, just bulk up 15 more pounds and change positions.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Shenault makes it to 22 in most mocks. A lot of players get tagged with "I doubt he lasts till X pick" but only so many players can actually be picked.

Anyway, those comparisons are apt. He's kind of a cross between a few guys like that. I'm super jealous of SF for having Deebo, so I for one would love to have him.

There are an insane number of WRs this year. T Johnson, C Johnson, Aiyuk, Mims, Edwards, Pittman, Gandy-Golden... I can already tell that if Beane decides that the value of the position lies on day 2, we're going to get a great player, but certain Twitter trolls are going to whine that we "only" got some lame R3 guy.

Smith went back to school.

Somebody follows Cover 1 lol. :thumbu:

I'll be Alex Nylander levels of annoyed if they take a 'safe' unspectacular DE with the R1.

I see your point about 'value'... But with the way the team currently is... Go & get a game breaker. Ruggs or Shenault fit that criteria for me.

Looking forward to watching some tape on these day2/3 guys though.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I'll be Alex Nylander levels of annoyed if they take a 'safe' unspectacular DE with the R1.

I see your point about 'value'... But with the way the team currently is... Go & get a game breaker. Ruggs or Shenault fit that criteria for me.

Looking forward to watching some tape on these day2/3 guys though.

If Gross-Matos is there, great. If they pass on a top WR for a worse DE to fill a need they should be questioned.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Bills' Tre White on spending his whole career in Buffalo: 'Hopefully I can be that Kyle Williams type'
Brandon Beane
"I’m very proud of Tre’Davious, he’s a guy we want here for the long-term. Tre is exactly what I just said; draft, develop and he has developed and is still developing. I think he can be better than he even was this year. The thing I was real proud about Tre’Davious this year was, most of his play has been steady the whole time. This year, he took the ball away, which was big for our defense.”

Tre White
“For sure, man. I don't want to be a guy that's been going around, around, around and around. To spend my career in one place, I know that's tough. That's something that doesn't really happen often. But I feel like, you know, if I continue to be the person that I am, continue to work hard, that's a possibility. I know that it's not 100%, because I understand the business side of it, but I would love to, man."

“My family loves it. The people are great. It's just a great place to play football. The facilities are great, so that's something that is going to keep people around, for sure. I would love to do that, but I understand how the NFL works. We'll see – hopefully I can be that Kyle Williams type of guy. That would be a great thing – a couple Louisiana guys coming from the same area and the same college (to spend our careers with the Bills).”

The Bills could pick up his option by May which would keep him under contract for the next 2 seasons or they could get right to it and negotiate a long term deal. Picking up the option is like a bridge deal in hockey. He'll hit the market commanding top dollar. This is Tre White, not Sam Reinhart! :laugh: He's already at the top of his game. Work out a long term deal now.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
Bills' Tre White on spending his whole career in Buffalo: 'Hopefully I can be that Kyle Williams type'
Brandon Beane
"I’m very proud of Tre’Davious, he’s a guy we want here for the long-term. Tre is exactly what I just said; draft, develop and he has developed and is still developing. I think he can be better than he even was this year. The thing I was real proud about Tre’Davious this year was, most of his play has been steady the whole time. This year, he took the ball away, which was big for our defense.”

Tre White
“For sure, man. I don't want to be a guy that's been going around, around, around and around. To spend my career in one place, I know that's tough. That's something that doesn't really happen often. But I feel like, you know, if I continue to be the person that I am, continue to work hard, that's a possibility. I know that it's not 100%, because I understand the business side of it, but I would love to, man."

“My family loves it. The people are great. It's just a great place to play football. The facilities are great, so that's something that is going to keep people around, for sure. I would love to do that, but I understand how the NFL works. We'll see – hopefully I can be that Kyle Williams type of guy. That would be a great thing – a couple Louisiana guys coming from the same area and the same college (to spend our careers with the Bills).”

The Bills could pick up his option by May which would keep him under contract for the next 2 seasons or they could get right to it and negotiate a long term deal. Picking up the option is like a bridge deal in hockey. He'll hit the market commanding top dollar. This is Tre White, not Sam Reinhart! :laugh: He's already at the top of his game. Work out a long term deal now.
Do you want to set the market or wait for Ramsey to set it...he’s going to be the top paid CB it’s just going to depend on when he’s signed

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I'm fine with Beane tradin down from 22 if he's identified late 1st/day 2 players. Gaining another 2nd or 3rd wouldn't be the worst thing if he hit his targets and the value is there. Gettin wr, edge/lb, cb, ol with 4 picks in the first 3 rounds would be great.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I think this WR class has gotten a bit overrated after the first two guys. Jeudy and Lamb are just great players but after that there is a huge dropoff.

Many of the guys listed after that the more I look into them don't look better than Metcalf or McLaurin who went 2nd and 3rd round last year.

Shenault looks more like an AJ Brown value wise, not as good as Deebo who went in the 2nd last year.

Reactions: Eichel9

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
Results of 1/26 NFL draft subreddit community 3-round mock draft. I GM-ed for Buffalo. Cliff notes:

- 1.22 for 1.29 and 3.93.
- 1.29 - WR Higgins Clemson
- 2.54 - DE Weaver Boise State
- 3.86 - DE Willekes Michigan State
- 3.93 - IDL Murchison NC State

Reactions: Jim Carr's Rug

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
I think this WR class has gotten a bit overrated after the first two guys. Jeudy and Lamb are just great players but after that there is a huge dropoff.

Many of the guys listed after that the more I look into them don't look better than Metcalf or McLaurin who went 2nd and 3rd round last year.

Shenault looks more like an AJ Brown value wise, not as good as Deebo who went in the 2nd last year.

Metcalf and McLaurin were also drafted way later than they should have. Mocks had Metcalf in top 10 and he played like that this year.

Reactions: brian_griffin

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
True. And thankfully the Patriots took Nkeal Harry and not one of those guys.

I was surprised Bellichek would take a WR higher after his great draft picks of Aaron Dobson, Taylor Price, Brandon Tate, Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, and Deion Branch, aka every WR drafted in the top 3 rounds by the Pats after Brady was drafted.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I was surprised Bellichek would take a WR higher after his great draft picks of Aaron Dobson, Taylor Price, Brandon Tate, Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, and Deion Branch, aka every WR drafted in the top 3 rounds by the Pats after Brady was drafted.

Patriots are just bad at scouting WR's. Just as the Steelers can't draft corners.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Metcalf and McLaurin were also drafted way later than they should have. Mocks had Metcalf in top 10 and he played like that this year.
Eh, Metcalf was a big question mark. He had major red flags, such as poor agility, bad route running, and underwhelming production in college. Don't get me wrong, he had a solid year as a #2 receiver in a vertical offense where he could more or less run fly route against single coverage all year, but it'll be interesting to see if he develops into a true number one or not. He's a hell of an intriguing prospect though.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Eh, Metcalf was a big question mark. He had major red flags, such as poor agility, bad route running, and underwhelming production in college. Don't get me wrong, he had a solid year as a #2 receiver in a vertical offense where he could more or less run fly route against single coverage all year, but it'll be interesting to see if he develops into a true number one or not. He's a hell of an intriguing prospect though.

I thought Metcalf was a pretty sure thing. Sure, he only runs 4 routes but those 4 routes are pretty good. I fully understand why the NFL didn't think he was a top ten pick but he shouldn't have dropped as far as he did. He has to be accounted for on every play or he will do what he did to the Eagles.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Lots of talk on this thread earlier about how to replace Zo and his role here. I had a feeling that wasn't going to be an objective of theirs and it seems the Cover 1 guys agree:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Paul Poz was always top 3 in tackles and he was never a top 3 LB in the league. Those 2 stats aren't determinative on how good someone is.

But it is a pretty good barometer. Phillips is a good DT. He is not elite though. He isn't a Geno Atkins or Buckner level DT. I would give him ~9-10 mil per over 3-4 years per. Not 15+. He is not great against the run. He has less then 1.5 seasons of good play. If he wants a big $ deal let him walk, especially since we have Ed Oliver in place long term who will be better at all facets as soon as 2020. Along with Harrison Phillips coming back for 2020 and Lotuleilei still here for at least one more year. If J. Phillips wants top 5 or 10 DT money let him go somewhere else, and draft a DT in the 3rd or 4th round to go with Oliver-Phillips-Star for 2020.

Assuming no trade ups and with Etienne going back to Clemson who I wanted in round 2,bI would like to see:

WR in round 1, CB in round 2 and LB in round 3. DT in round 4, another CB and RB in round 5, and with the 3 6th round picks go for boom bust type picks since we can't keep all our draft picks on the roster go for a QB,OL and S. (Barkley upgrade, possible Poyer replacement and can never have enough quality OL)

Free Agency I am hoping for Ngakoue as our marquee signing/Lawson replacement along with Conklin for the OL. Hunter Henry would also be a great signing even if it is somewhat of a luxury.

If we give Josh a true franchise big WR1 in the draft and say Hunter Henry in free agency, then there would be no excuses then, Allen would have an array of high end talent to throw to. Tee Higgins / Shinault + John Brown + Cole Beasley + Hunter Henry + Dawson Knox with Singletary out of the backfield??! :nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad