OT: Buffalo Bills, 2016: Part VI (7-9) – Head Coach Search Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Interesting year for the draft and QBs.

Top 10 worst teams:

San Fran, Chicago, LA, Carolina, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Jets, San Diego, Cincinnati and possibly Arizona.

Of them, San Fran, Chicago are the only ones that jump out who would take a QB. Maybe the Jags if they're done with Bortles, Cleveland and Jets just used high pics on QBs, maybe Arizona if Palmer is gone.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Top 10 worst teams:

San Fran, Chicago, LA, Carolina, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Jets, San Diego, Cincinnati and possibly Arizona.

Of them, San Fran, Chicago are the only ones that jump out who would take a QB. Maybe the Jags if they're done with Bortles, Cleveland and Jets just used high pics on QBs, maybe Arizona if Palmer is gone.

Problem is, I don't think there are really any QBs this year worthy of such a high pick.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Problem is, I don't think there are really any QBs this year worthy of such a high pick.

True, that's why I like Mike Williams or a safety. But, someone is going to be the Bills QB and right now it doesn't look like it's anyone on the roster now.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
i don't see the gains in ditching Tyrod. It saves you cap hit which is irrelevant if you move on from Tyrod because you'll be a bottom feeder without a QB anyway. There's too much talent to be the worst team in the league. So it's give Tyrod another year or move from 8-10 to 6-8 in the draft. Just so indifferent about both options, give me the outside shot that Shady and better defensive scheme can get us that 1-2 extra wins we need.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Bills will have the #10 pick in the draft.

And here are next season's opponents:

HOME: Denver, Indianapolis, Miami, New England, New Orleans, NY Jets, Oakland, Tampa Bay
AWAY: Atlanta, Carolina, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Miami, New England, NY Jets, San Diego

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Well Cousins may be available. I believe the rumors before were the Bills wanted to draft him until the Redskins took 2 QBs in 1 draft.

Pros: he can throw, he may be color blind like Jim Kelly since he likes to throw the ball to the other team so much

Cons: probably a product of the system with the leagues best weapons

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
i don't see the gains in ditching Tyrod. It saves you cap hit which is irrelevant if you move on from Tyrod because you'll be a bottom feeder without a QB anyway. There's too much talent to be the worst team in the league. So it's give Tyrod another year or move from 8-10 to 6-8 in the draft. Just so indifferent about both options, give me the outside shot that Shady and better defensive scheme can get us that 1-2 extra wins we need.

They need to restructure TT's contract.

The prole is not with TT. Remember he has only 3 yrs as a starter.

What buffalo needs to figure out his having a DC fit the players they have.

Excluding today....

Buffalo was come titi very in 7 of their 8 loses. 6 by 1 score, 1 they had a 15 point mid 3rd lead. They beat miami once and beat another team they lost to, going into this game they win they could get a WC spot.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
They need to restructure TT's contract.

The prole is not with TT. Remember he has only 3 yrs as a starter.

What buffalo needs to figure out his having a DC fit the players they have.

Excluding today....

Buffalo was come titi very in 7 of their 8 loses. 6 by 1 score, 1 they had a 15 point mid 3rd lead. They beat miami once and beat another team they lost to, going into this game they win they could get a WC spot.

They were 1-5 in the division. That one win vs the Pats. Who would have thought that coming into the year.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Top 10 worst teams:

No team is passing on a top 10 QB because of Cody Kessler, Kevin Hogan, Bryce Petty, or Christian Hackenberg. That's like saying the Bills wouldn't take a QB because of jones.

I'd say any of those teams could take a QB (if there was one worthy) other than LA and Carolina. Now is there one worthy? Another story...

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Well time to focus on the draft. The tenth pick is nice to have. I'm open to a lot of different round 1 options.

If we target and sign starting OL and/or secondary in free agency then I'd like to see Mike Williams picked at #10. WR is a huge need. Woods is probably gone and he's a WR3 at best. Goodwin is garbage. Tate, Powell, Salas etc are fringe roster players. I wouldn't mind re-signing Justin Hunter. He's big, going to be cheap and has potential. He's a nice red zone option and would be a fine WR4. If Williams is gone then I wouldn't mind trading down, picking up an extra 2nd and drafting JuJu Smith. I know I know he's a USC product but he's a far better prospect then Woods and Marqise Lee were. He is also crazy young, he played nearly his whole freshman season as a 17 year old and doesn't turn 21 until November. Him and Sammy could literally be our starting WRs and produce at high levels for a decade. Watkins is only turning 24.

I am not crazy for any QB in this draft. I don't see anything in DeShone Kizer that warrants him being protected as a top 5 pick. Trubisky either. Only one season as a starter? No thanks. It wouldn't shock me to see him go #1 though. He's a Cleveland kid (from Mentor). I know I would not use a top 5 pick let alone #1 overall on a guy with such a limited resume. I really don't know how to grade Watson. I've seen him projected in the top 10 in some mocks and the 2nd round in others. But that's how QBs are treated now a days. As we see in Wentz and Goff, teams are willing to trade up and take very good but not elite QB prospects very early. I really am hoping Kizer, Watson and Trubisky get taken top 5, along with Fournette and Dalvin Cook. We don't need RB so the more RB and QBs in the top 9 taken the better.

As for later round picks, I am praying the Bills select Amba Etta Tawo in the 4th/5th round. I watched him all year and even though he only had one year of production he had an insane season at Syracuse. He isn't a surefire lock to be a NFL starting WR but he has a lot of potential and could be a steal.

If Tyrod is willing to renegotiate his contract and make his signing bonus more feasible that would be great. Watching Manuel makes me appreciate Tyrod a lot more. He will never be a 4000 yard passer but he can definitely be a guy who can toss 20-25 tds, run for 5-8 more and limit the turnovers. He is a playoff caliber QB but not SB caliber... not that it matters since just making the playoffs again would be like winning a super bowl. After watching Cousins today, that boneheaded pick definitely makes me think twice about going after him. I mean if he hit UFA I'd definitely be interested but signing him as a franchise tendered player and giving up 2 1sts or even trading a single 1st has me uninterested. Romo is a longshot as he will likely go to Denver since they are a QB away from being SB contenders again. 9-7 with Trevor ****ing Simean as QB is real impressive. Absolutely no interest in Kaepernick. Cutler either, though if Tyrod is let go and Cutler is available at a reasonable price I wouldn't mind bringing him in as a stop gap for a few years until we draft a franchise QB. Cardale will likely not become a starter so I am not banking on him at all. I'd be content if he turned into a decent backup though.

I also hope Kyle Williams sticks around. We can not afford to have him retire. Even at 33 he is still a top end DL. If he retires that puts a huge hole in the DL. Considering we need all the picks we can get with all our free agents and thin depth, it would be huge if we can franchise Gilmore and trade him for a 2nd or a 3rd. Even if we can't trade him I think I'd be ok with the franchise tag for a year so we can hold off on another 1st round CB... it's a big need but a 1st round CB would be disappointing.

as for the rest of the roster...

RB- Absolutely set here. McCoy is still an elite top 5 RB and coming off an incredible season. Even though he is turning 29, I believe he still has at least 2 if not 3 elite level seasons left. Gillislee is a good RB2 also.

TE- Clay isn't a very good TE but it's a weak position league wide. We have big money invested in him and there is no way to get out of his deal cap wise so he is here to stay. O'Leary is Ok as a backup TE, so this is a position along with RB we can totally ignore at the draft.

LT- Glenn just signed a long term deal and is a quality LT. No need to draft a LT, though an upgrade at RT would be nice.

C- Wood is a very good C. Groy wasn't too bad either imo, so this is another position we are set at.

So our main needs are:

QB - Obvious. I think they'll find a way to keep Tyrod though. Not too many options here and starting Jones or some other journeyman type QB is just signaling 2017 as a wasteful rebuilding year.

WR- Watkins is the only quality WR. When healthy he is a star but he needs help. Woods is likely gone unless he would stay for 4 mil or so. If he wants 6-7 mil then he is gone. If we could get a Jeffrey or Pryor in free agency then we could avoid having to draft a WR early but it's doubtful they sign here. DJax would be a nice pickup but he's likely back to Philly. Kenny Britt would be a nice pickup as a solid WR2. Either way, we need to sign a starting level WR and if we can't do that then I'm positive we draft a WR in round 1 or 2.

Kicker - Carpenter is done. He can't make the big kicks and he misses way too many XPs. He cost us games. If you can't make a 45 yard FG in clutch situations or get touch backs consistently then we need to get a kicker. I expect to draft one late.

LB- Alexander and Zach Brown are both free agents. I expect Alexander back but Brown is surely gone. The way he *****ed about missing the pro bowl show me he is definitely a me first $$ mercenary type. I wouldn't give a huge money deal to him. Even with keeping Alexander, LB will be a pick in the first 3 rounds.

RT/G - Incognito is great but getting up there. Henderson is done, too many suspensions. Kouandjio has been a complete waste as a 2nd round pick. Miller is average and can be upgraded. Mills is nothing special either. Again, a T or G will likely be an early round pick for us unless we can somehow sign a RT and G in free agency to start for us.

Secondary - Huge need for us, more so at safety. It's a shame A Williams is likely retiring as he was a leader for the defense. I will forever despise Jarvis Landry. Darby regressed big time, NRC is OK as a CB3. Gilmore is key. He either accepts a fair deal and gets the top 5 CB money out of his head, we franchise him and keep him for a year to see if he returns to form or we franchise and trade him for a 2nd or 3rd and use that pick to replace him. Again, huge need.

So, pretty much this team has holes everywhere. Whaley is a complete ass clown for stating he built a great roster. He needs to be fired but Pegula is too much of a joke to do that. With Whaley here, it means we have zero chance at the top coaching candidates since they would want roster control. It's so frustrating knowing we will have Lynn as our next coach. I'm praying Denver offers him the job and he leaves.

So in summary, not counting free agency I expect the first 3 picks to be used on a WR, LB and CB/S in no particular order. We need OL too but hopefully we can address that in free agency.

Either way it sucks to be a Bills fan and we will extend it to 18 years next season. Maybe the best case scenario is completely bottoming out, earning a top 3 pick and drafting our franchise QB next year.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
And here are next season's opponents -
HOME: Denver, Indianapolis, Miami, New England, New Orleans, NY Jets, Oakland, Tampa Bay
AWAY: Atlanta, Carolina, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Miami, New England, NY Jets, San Diego

Well my yearly attend a Bills game using a relatives tickets will be Oakland because of Mack.
Hopefully its not a late November/December game.

Good news for my Atlanta/Carolina/Kansas City area based relatives/friends - get to see the Bills locally.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Great coaching search

It's comical that the coaching "search" can be totally bypassed since Lynn is African American and appeases the Rooney rule. A few years back They promised no stone unturned. Maybe this years slogan can be Lynn is a diamond in the rough :rolleyes:

Like where the **** is Pegula? Is he afraid to talk to the media ? Does he have any clue on running a franchise ? (Of course not, his time with the Sabres has proved that ).

Pegula just can't get enough of his Pittsburgh connections. Might as well call Pegula Henry Hill with his Pittsburgh People. Doug Whaley is such a piece of ****, he has set us back years. Because of Poogoolas stubbornness, it has eliminated us from being in play for high end coaches since Whaley is dead set on having roster control. My biggest fear growing up was Ralph and thinking the Bills were gone as soon as he passed. Now, I can honestly say I could give two ****ING ***** if they left town. They will forever be losers. The playoff drought will hit 25-30 years easily. I doubt Pegula will ever see the Bills in the playoffs in his lifetime and that's not an exaggeration.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
It's seems odd Lynn would line up interviews elsewhere if he's already accepted the Bills job.

If the Bills do go with Lynn, at least it's someone other teams want unlike Gailey.

Other teams interviewing Lynn allows them to satisfy the Rooney rule. No NFL team will stand in the way of another team meeting that rule. Besides, it's a mutually beneficial arrangement for a team with a preference for another coach to interview a minority candidate who already has a job locked up elsewhere.

I'm sure that arrangement happens in other professions with interviewing mandates.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Other teams interviewing Lynn allows them to satisfy the Rooney rule. No NFL team will stand in the way of another team meeting that rule. Besides, it's a mutually beneficial arrangement for a team with a preference for another coach to interview a minority candidate who already has a job locked up elsewhere.

I'm sure that arrangement happens in other professions with interviewing mandates.

Lynn's already come out against the Rooney Rule and said he wouldn't interview with any team that hasn't already interviewed an African-American.

So who knows what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad