Friedman: Could the Leafs target Seth Jones?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I mean if you really want to shake things up and get Marner and Tavares to waive we could really cook up something crazy:

Toronto gets Jones at a discounted rate + 12.5 million in cap space to re-allocate to Pesce, Teravainanen, or hell even Reinhart.

Chicago could then either choose to keep Marner and Tavares or flip them as rentals at the deadline. No extension talks necessary.

View attachment 866009
This is an atrocious deal for Chicago.

Hawks are not going to retain a high amount for SIX years. Especially to get the privilege of paying Mitch Marner $12 million AAV, and I don't even know what Tavares is doing there. Let alone adding in Kurashev who can either be extended or flipped since he's at a good value right now. Let alone giving TOR their '25 First back, during a REBUILD. Forget "flipping" Marner (and Tavares), they still have their NMC. If they waived it, they'd have to waive it again. That means they pick their spot and the Hawks take a 2nd round back and are grateful it's not nothing. This would be atrocious.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
The perfect Dman on a sweet deal isn't available

Jones is a really smart addition. Give him a good surrounding cast and he will elevate

I am skeptical that he would be for sale at all though. The Hawks will try to load up, not tear down
Hawks definitely aren’t trying to load up. This rebuild is long term and the playoffs aren’t expected for a couple more years.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hawks definitely aren’t trying to load up. This rebuild is long term and the playoffs aren’t expected for a couple more years.
They added Hall though, and even if they aren't planning to make the playoffs for a couple years, they want to continue building to it. Plus Jones won't be aged out in a couple years.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
They added Hall though, and even if they aren't planning to make the playoffs for a couple years, they want to continue building to it. Plus Jones won't be aged out in a couple years.
Hall has 1 year left, is injured constantly and looks pretty cooked, he has no bearing on what the team does at this point.

Regardless, I’ve been following the Canadian media today, and it’s suspiciously similar to last year. Day after the leafs lose, the calls are for heads to roll.

But now the tones have changed. Now the media is planting the seeds for Marner to stay, for Shanahan to be back, and Keefe is going to take the fall. Nothing will change and the Leafs will suffer the same fate next year. It’s a big joke to them.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I was all over this idea when Jones was traded out of CBJ but I really don't get how it makes sense for CHI now.

I get getting an exciting vet for Bedard to play with but you really expose your young dmen and they are probably looking to make the playoffs year after next. Top pairing RHDs don't exactly grow on trees and they would create a huge hole right as they are trending upwards.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Neither player improves the PP1.

Jones would become a 10M luxury, just like Marner, except for many more years.

The Leafs don't need to make a deal for the sake of making a deal. They need a PPQB, among other things.
Jones isn't a "luxury" when the team only has 2 top 4 d-men

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If Chicago just wants to get out of Jones' contract...

Jones for Tavares

The deal would be made with the understanding that Chicago would then buyout Tavares so he can sign with a contender

At that point, Tavares can either sign with Toronto on a 1-year deal for the league minimum, or take a bigger money deal elsewhere

Toronto get their big top pairing RD

Chicago get out from Jones' contract

Reactions: Crow and Pertti

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

Jones for Tavares

The deal would be made with the understanding that Chicago would then buyout Tavares so he can sign with a contender

At that point, Tavares can either sign with Toronto on a 1-year deal for the league minimum, or take a bigger money deal elsewhere

Since when does Seth jones have Negative value?

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If the Hawks draft 2nd, and trade Jones to us for Marner, they enter next season with (hypothetically) Marner and Levshunov... which would be a nice add to Bedard. Marner setting up Bedard would be a glorious proposition the Hawks might not be able to pass up. As for the Leafs, what comes back with Jones? It won't be Moore, Reichel, Nazar, etc.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
A duo of Bedard and Marner in Chicago would be lethal. Marner would make the Hawks instantly better. Bedard needs an NHL calibre winger and they have the cap space to fit Marner with zero retention. If I was Treliving, Davidson would be the first GM I call up asking for a deal to be made.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If for some reason both Marner and Jones said "Sure I would waive" then I think

To :hawks
RW Mitch Marner

To :leafs
D Seth Jones
C Colton Dach

Would work

At end of day neither GM has loyalty to these players. The GM who drafted Marner (Lou Lam) and the GM who extended him with big $ boost (Dubas) are both gone in Toronto while the guy who traded for Jones and extended him and drafted Dach (Bowman) is gone in Chicago

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
You take Jones and we take Marner (with extension) and Tavares (no extension) off your hands. We trade Tavares somewhere at the TDL with 50 % retained after he spends a season teaching Bedard how to take faceoffs and the benefits of kale and kombucha..

We have the cap space to absorb it, we need NHL bodies, Toronto gets a new RD and 22 million to play with.

Reactions: Petrus and JKG33

razor ray

May 8, 2011
To Chi: Pick #6 and possibly retain some of Marner
To Utah: Marner (extended)
To Tor: Seth Jones

Why:
Chi accelerates rebuild
Utah makes some noise by adding to a talented roster with plenty of cap space
Tor gets the #1 RD they need

Reactions: Pertti

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
To Chi: Pick #6 and possibly retain some of Marner
To Utah: Marner (extended)
To Tor: Seth Jones

Why:
Chi accelerates rebuild
Utah makes some noise by adding to a talented roster with plenty of cap space
Tor gets the #1 RD they need
no from Toronto but as a Leaf fan i'd much prefer the #6 instead of Jones , this being said i'm not trading Marner

the move we need to make is dumping Tavares , he's be a ufa after next season and after he's paid his bonus he's owed less than 1m in salary

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I sure hope so, not sure how many of your teams fans feel the same.

If they do that they should keep Keefe and Shanahan too
There are many,currently, who want Marner traded I saw one that thought he could get himself a tim hortons coffee and a doughnut for him, but The team will do what it thinks best for the team regardless of the fans who want him gone. Things will calm down like they always do.

Said on Kyper tonight Leafs are targeting Montour and Pesch
Yeah, but it is Kyper.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014

Jones for Tavares

Buying out Tavares? Not happening.
Educate yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad