OT: Buffalo Bills, 2016: Part VI (7-9) – Head Coach Search Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The national media shouldn't be a gauge of anything. The general prejudice towards dysfunction in the national media everything to do with generating clicks or attracting eyeballs. Controversy, dysfunction, and exaggeration is in their best interest. I'm not even talking Bills here. I'm talking Bills, 49ers, Romo-Prescott, Durant-Westbrook, Carmelo-Phil, Rajon Rondo-anyone, George Karl-everyone, 76ers, 49ers, Tiger Woods, UFC, whatever.

Pretty much everything on that list short of Romo v Prescott is a epic mess.

And I'm a Sixers fan.

:laugh:

So, if you are trying to say that the national media exaggerate stuff just to create ratings and that list is some sort of evidence of that, well.....

:shakehead

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-impression-he-has-little-power-or-influence/

More than two years ago, Bills fans rejoiced when husband-and-wife billionaires bought the Bills with the stated intent of keeping them in Buffalo. Eventually, Bills fans may be wondering whether they would have been better off driving back and forth to Toronto to enjoy the exploits of a team led by an ownership group that truly understands what it means to own and operate an NFL team.

Ouch

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
deadspin especially, as much as I love the site, loves dysfunction and reporting on it. Whether or not it's true is irrelevant.

Why isn't john wawrow, who had been proven to have good sources with the bills, reporting on all this dysfunction?

Well, when you are the only guy that can get the owner on the horn, maybe you dance around stuff to keep the source talking to you...

Plus, Wawrow is a reporter, as opposed to a columnist. So, his style has always been of one that reports what people say and not injecting his own opinion a lot, like a columnist is paid to do.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
A lot of this falls on Pegula. He's a meddling nitwit who has both head coach and GM report directly to him blurring chain of command and creating a contentious atmosphere within management. All this with the aggravating factor that he isn't a football guy and has no place making football decisions. So Whaley, with all his flaws, will "lead the coaching search" and then defer to Pegula to make the ultimate decision.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Is it illogical to believe the following:

1. Pegulas bought the Bills and with them came Whaley and Brandon. They decide to keep Whaley / have no immediate reason to move on.
2. Marrone resigns. Pegulas want to be involved in search as they've kept a pat hand with Brandon and Whaley.
3. Ryan is hired for whatever reasons (snookered the Pegulas or Pegulas wanted name/splash orPegulas believed he was the best choice).
4. Ryan asks to report directly to Pegulas as condition of hire, or Pegulas determine a priori Ryan will report directly to him. Really doesn't matter for my thesis - chicken or egg.
5. Pegulas ask Whaley, "can you work with Rex?, and ask Ryan "can you work with Doug?" And both affirm.
6. Ryan's in-season contact re: performance vs expectations is with Pegulas given reporting relationship.
7. Ryan asks where he stands near season's end. Pegula advises he won't be retained and they agree or he is told, to end it immediately.
8. Whaley is largely ignorant because the reporting relationship does not go through him (Whaley).

Re: Sabres - similar scenario. Pegula wants Bylsma for whatever reasons. The question put to Murray is "Tim, can you work with Dan" and to Bylsma, "can you work for Tim?" And each affirms.

In my corporate experience I've seen many senior leadership changes: some were natural planned successions and some were to right wrongs or correct dysfunction. In some cases executive staff was changed out, in most cases they weren't. If people can work together then wholesale change isn't necessary.

Separate but related the Sullivan article ripping Whaley is off base. Whaley may need to go, but not because of any of the specific reasons Sullivan cited. He lambastes the Shaq Lawson pick, with the inference no one should have drafted him because of his shoulder, ignoring the fact he'd played several seasons with it in that condition and there was mutual agreement to have the surgery. Another team would have drafted him regardless. Sullivan then discredits Lawson claiming his play declined as the second half of the season progressed. The inference being no other defensive players individually declined and the defense as a whole was fine the 2nd half of the season. We know that's completely false.

He dismisses the Ragland pick. Plays shoulda-coulda with Dak Prescott as if 30 other NFL teams didn't pass on him either. Dismisses johnathan Williams without acknowledging how well the bills ran collectively and the gem that Mike Gillislee is (dumbass Jets end zone aside). I'll allow him a partial beef on the Williams pick only because they could have gone to a greater position of need.

Sullivan is a malcontent who would badmouth a cure for cancer because he loves oncologists and hospice care.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Is it illogical to believe the following:

1. Pegulas bought the Bills and with them came Whaley and Brandon. They decide to keep Whaley / have no immediate reason to move on.
2. Marrone resigns. Pegulas want to be involved in search as they've kept a pat hand with Brandon and Whaley.
3. Ryan is hired for whatever reasons (snookered the Pegulas or Pegulas wanted name/splash orPegulas believed he was the best choice).
4. Ryan asks to report directly to Pegulas as condition of hire, or Pegulas determine a priori Ryan will report directly to him. Really doesn't matter for my thesis - chicken or egg.
5. Pegulas ask Whaley, "can you work with Rex?, and ask Ryan "can you work with Doug?" And both affirm.
6. Ryan's in-season contact re: performance vs expectations is with Pegulas given reporting relationship.
7. Ryan asks where he stands near season's end. Pegula advises he won't be retained and they agree or he is told, to end it immediately.
8. Whaley is largely ignorant because the reporting relationship does not go through him (Whaley).

Re: Sabres - similar scenario. Pegula wants Bylsma for whatever reasons. The question put to Murray is "Tim, can you work with Dan" and to Bylsma, "can you work for Tim?" And each affirms.

In my corporate experience I've seen many senior leadership changes: some were natural planned successions and some were to right wrongs or correct dysfunction. In some cases executive staff was changed out, in most cases they weren't. If people can work together then wholesale change isn't necessary.

Separate but related the Sullivan article ripping Whaley is off base. Whaley may need to go, but not because of any of the specific reasons Sullivan cited. He lambastes the Shaq Lawson pick, with the inference no one should have drafted him because of his shoulder, ignoring the fact he'd played several seasons with it in that condition and there was mutual agreement to have the surgery. Another team would have drafted him regardless. Sullivan then discredits Lawson claiming his play declined as the second half of the season progressed. The inference being no other defensive players individually declined and the defense as a whole was fine the 2nd half of the season. We know that's completely false.

He dismisses the Ragland pick. Plays shoulda-coulda with Dak Prescott as if 30 other NFL teams didn't pass on him either. Dismisses johnathan Williams without acknowledging how well the bills ran collectively and the gem that Mike Gillislee is (dumbass Jets end zone aside). I'll allow him a partial beef on the Williams pick only because they could have gone to a greater position of need.

Sullivan is a malcontent who would badmouth a cure for cancer because he loves oncologists and hospice care.

There's a lot to agree and disagree with there. The major point everyone can agree with though is Sullivan is as good at reporting as Billy Joel Hobert is as good at reading a playbook.

Ben Tsujimoto has been getting some Bills coverage (he has some of the best soccer coverage in the nation), but they need to move Sullivan to another department and promote Tsujimoto.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
I just watched half that presser. Within a minute, Whaley was sucking up to Pegula. I shut it off once he said Pegula would have input on the next QB. The amateurishness of all this is incredible. These guys are confused, petty, disingenuous, disorganized, and flyin by the seat of their pants. The only intriguing aspect is what sort of back room deals Brandon will make to influence the new hire.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Just to clarify, according to the Bills current GM himself, he can't quantify what sort of input he had on the last coaching hire, can't confirm whether he supported the hire, had no input nor was privy to any information on the last coaching fire, hasn't considered whether firing the coach was a good idea, and is entirely accepting of not being involved in the day to day football operations which includes having the head coach report directly to the owner.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
And this is the roster as it stands with players under contract. So good luck with that.

QB Tyrod Taylor?
QB Cardale Jones
QB X
RB Lesean McCoy
RB Mike Gillislee
RB Jonathan Williams
FB X
WR Sammy Watkins (foot surgery?)
WR Dezmin Lewis
WR Walter Powell?
WR Kolby Listenbee?
WR Marcus Easley?
WR X
TE Charles Clay
TE Nick O'Leary
TE Gerald Christian?
TE X
LT Cordy Glenn
LG Richie Incognito
C Eric Wood
RG John Miller
RT X
OL Cyrus Kouandjio
OL Ryan Groy
OL Patrick Lewis
OL Seantrel Henderson?
DE Jerry Hughes
DE Shaq Lawson
DE Jerel Worthy
DT Marcell Dareus
DT Adolphus Washington
DT Kyle Williams (retirement?)
DL X
LB Preston Brown
LB Reggie Ragland
LB IK Enemkpali
LB X
LB X
LB X
LB X
CB Ronald Darby
CB Kevon Seymour
CB Nickell Robey-Coleman
CB Marcus Roberson
CB X
S Corey Graham
S Aaron Williams (retirement?)
S X
S X
S X
LS Garrison Sanborn
K Dan Carpenter?
P Colton Schmidt

Last edited:

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
I do like that the Bills are looking for a few up and coming OC that shows some HC promise like Harold Goodwin and Sean McDermott.

This should be Whaley's last chance. If he screws this one up. He should be gone along with the entire staff in two years.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I do like that the Bills are looking for a few up and coming OC that shows some HC promise like Harold Goodwin and Sean McDermott.

This should be Whaley's last chance. If he screws this one up. He should be gone along with the entire staff in two years.

McDermott is a DC, no?

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Watching Pro Football Sports Talk on NBCSN this morning and they ripped the Bills and Pegula pretty well this morning. Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News was also interviewed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm very curious to see where this goes.

The Pegula's have made some very poor decision at the very top of structuring their teams. They are in dire need of a director/president of football operations. Russ Brandon is a business guy. And he's good at what he does. Whaley is good at certain things....but just doesn't seem to be an 'architect'. He's a good team player and seems to be able to adapt to different directions/people around him.

What we really need is a good team president to basically oversee the football parts and be a genuine good advisor in how to structure and build a successful football team. If we are all about keeping Whaley (which....is a mistake), put someone above him and get some real direction on this team. Get a coach who can coach the style that our roster dictates.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Russ Brandon's mere presence is a problem, obviously I'm not an insider but I think he's a major problem. He is a link to a very dysfunctional past, because of Ralph's declining physical and mental health OBD became Brandon's personal fiefdom. He's a bean counter who in Ralph's absence became a surrogate owner, a meddlesome one who had his fingers in everything ostensibly to keep Ralph informed and take care of his cherished football team. The Pegulas coming in not knowing a thing about owning/running an NFL team became dependent on him just as Ralph did. Brandon has been a constant in the 17 years of failure. He and his underlings need to be shown the door.

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010

Truth? What truth? He clearly stated that it is a theory. This tweet worked and was sent because of the distrust in Brandon. It will be retweeted and shared and treated as "truth" because it confirms what that person believes. There is zero truth in what he wrote. It was a clickbate style tweet that succeeded.

Edit. Sorry Bipolarbear for snapping. I hate modern Media and how manipulative it is.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Just to clarify, according to the Bills current GM himself, he can't quantify what sort of input he had on the last coaching hire, can't confirm whether he supported the hire,
Actually, he plainly stated that he agreed with the hire.

snowshoes1818

Oct 19, 2014
Pretty much everything on that list short of Romo v Prescott is a epic mess.

And I'm a Sixers fan.

:laugh:

None of the situations I listed would I define as an "epic mess," including the 76ers' situation. More on that in a second. A lot of it is media-fueled drivel. "Bad blood! Betrayal! Brothers no more!" That stuff sounds great in a novel. Spun right, that can drive ratings. It's a story, but it's fluff.

Want to talk about epic messes in sports? Then let's talk about the systematic breeding of racehorses for burst speed without regard to fragility. (Animal welfare.) Let's talk about the epidemic of **** fighting in California. Let's talk about student athletes who fail to graduate and are saddled with tens of thousands of dollars of medical debt by their institutions. Or the systematic academic fraud at even the supposedly most prestigious institutions (i.e. UNC of late). Etc, etc, etc. Just turn on Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel for a week and take a look-see at how their coverage of real, material messes differs with that of ESPN, FOX Sports, or talk radio anything.

Regarding the Bills, I mean, they finished 7-9 and a few games out of the playoffs. But 7-9 as opposed to 2-14, 3-13, 5-11, or 1-15. Heh. They don't have a coach, but neither do half a dozen other teams. (And that's pretty much the same year in or year out.) They don't have an elite quarterback in a league where consistent success demands one... but neither do most teams. (That's just the nature of how the league is structured.) Changes were made. More changes will be made. None of this seems anything but par for the course if you take the macro view of NFL coach/personnel turnover. But, of course, that view isn't interesting. Nah, "par for the course," "half a dozen," "neither do most," and so forth turn into "dumpster fire," "dysfunction," etc. that seem to represent the Buffalo Bills as having finished far worse and been less competitive than their 7-9 record would indicate.

Spin is real, Jim Bob.

Off topic on why the spin around the Sixers is so disingenuous I've PM-ed to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad