OT: Buffalo Bills, 2016: Part VI (7-9) – Head Coach Search Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
http://pro32.ap.org/article/apnewsbreak-bills-owner-outlines-reasons-he-fired-rex-ryan

Pegula says he's disappointed in having to change coaches after only two years, but says he had no other choice to fire Ryan after the Bills defense showed few signs of progress during the season.

Pegula said during a 17-minute phone interview with The AP on Monday: "None of us are happy with the season."

Pegula speaks to John Wawrow but not to Buffalo media. Gee, I wonder why.

More...

As the call came to a close, Pegula said Ryan asked to speak to the owner privately. Pegula said Ryan then directly asked him about his future beyond this season.

Pegula said he had no choice but to set things straight with Ryan.

"I was asked a point-blank question and based on the discussions we've been having all year, I felt it was better to tell Rex that we were going in a different direction," Pegula said.
"(Whaley) had input on the basis of conversations throughout the year, what the problems were," Pegula said. "But did Doug ever say, 'Are we firing our coach, are we keeping our coach?' We never had that conversation. I took it upon myself to tell Rex on the basis of conversations about the games and the aftermath of certain games that, hey, things aren't going well."

snowshoes1818

Oct 19, 2014
I agree. Buffalo media has an issue with the owners, and it manifests itself in other hideous ways. This was one of them.

They have phenomenal issues with the owners, but I have a feeling that more of it stems from issues of access than it does with process-related issues. The first item on any PR rep's agenda is to control information, but when you shut down access, you engender ill will. (Off-topic: For the record, this is also a huge problem that a lot of us aerospace reporters have had with SpaceX, which takes a very limiting approach to PR. Compare American coverage of SpaceX with that of Der Spiegel or NHK especially, and it's like they're reporting on two completely different companies. But that's what you get when you compare insiders who feel entitled to a degree of access versus outsiders who might only ring them up once every few months. This has also been a huge problem with coverage of the Obama administration, which has over eight years shut down access to national outlets... and then offers a round robin to, i.e., the Des Moines Register and the Cleveland Plain Dealer.)

I think it's worth reading all of the local accounts of "organizational problems" with a grain of salt given 1) the apparent anti-organization bias of most of our local reporters and 2) how many clicks stories about organizational infighting, etc. can generate. It behooves these folk to generate controversy if there isn't any and to exaggerate controversy if there is.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://deadspin.com/bills-gms-press-conference-really-couldnt-have-gone-muc-1790691580

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/highlight/the-buffalo-bills-are-an-unmitigated-disaster

Spare me that TBN is too hard on the Pegulas when this is what the national view is on this situation.

The things that fans should like about the Pegulas have little to do with on the field/ice performance. They are keeping the teams in Buffalo and they have done some great things developing the area around KBC.

But, the sports side of both teams since they bought them have way more negatives than positives and there should be serious questions asked about how they run things.

Until the Pegulas hire a strong football guy and hand the keys completely over to that person, the Bills will continue to be a mess.

As a Washington fan, I know from experience that a fan-owner that meddles a lot does not lead to success.

snowshoes1818

Oct 19, 2014
Spare me that TBN is too hard on the Pegulas when this is what the national view is on this situation.

The national media shouldn't be a gauge of anything. The general prejudice towards dysfunction in the national media everything to do with generating clicks or attracting eyeballs. Controversy, dysfunction, and exaggeration is in their best interest. I'm not even talking Bills here. I'm talking Bills, 49ers, Romo-Prescott, Durant-Westbrook, Carmelo-Phil, Rajon Rondo-anyone, George Karl-everyone, 76ers, 49ers, Tiger Woods, UFC, whatever.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Thanks. What a serious cluster. Seems like nobody in the organization knows what they are and aren't responsible for. As for Whaley "leading" the search, what's the difference between how it went last time? Last time it was Whaley, Brandon and the Pegulas searching with the Pegulas having the final say. Now it's Whaley leading the search with the Pegulas having the final say...again.

I don't really get any warm and fuzzies that Terry and Kim aren't meddling owners. Hire a football guy to oversee ALL aspects of the team and front office and stop being involved in anything other than shmoozing people to come to Buffalo.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
So... I'll ask the question (Hoping Zip wants to answer it for me). What reason is there to believe the hockey side is any different?

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
The national media shouldn't be a gauge of anything. The general prejudice towards dysfunction in the national media everything to do with generating clicks or attracting eyeballs. Controversy, dysfunction, and exaggeration is in their best interest. I'm not even talking Bills here. I'm talking Bills, 49ers, Romo-Prescott, Durant-Westbrook, Carmelo-Phil, Rajon Rondo-anyone, George Karl-everyone, 76ers, 49ers, Tiger Woods, UFC, whatever.
deadspin especially, as much as I love the site, loves dysfunction and reporting on it. Whether or not it's true is irrelevant.

Why isn't john wawrow, who had been proven to have good sources with the bills, reporting on all this dysfunction?

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
The Bills are getting eviscerated in the press and it's very satisfying. As a measly fan who's been upset and complaining for years but yet right all along, it's nice to know a little national light is being shed. That area deserves far better from its professional sports franchises.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I'm actually sort of surprised the Bills posted that conference on their site. That entire thing was both painful and hilarious.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
this debacle probably squashes any chance of Bylsma being fired this year...

I don't think there really was any chance anyways.

What I see happening with the Sabres mirrors what is happening with the Bills:

Bylsma will be fired midseason next season, finishing with an interim.

Pegulas will then say "OK, you get reins over the next hire -- but screw this up and you're done".

Difference is - if Murray screws up this hire, the Sabres should be OK long-term with the talent they have

If Whaley screws up this hire......the Bills will go 20+ years without making the playoffs.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't think there really was any chance anyways.

What I see happening with the Sabres mirrors what is happening with the Bills:

Bylsma will be fired midseason next season, finishing with an interim.

Pegulas will then say "OK, you get reins over the next hire -- but screw this up and you're done".

Difference is - if Murray screws up this hire, the Sabres should be OK long-term with the talent they have

If Whaley screws up this hire......the Bills will go 20+ years without making the playoffs.

So, Doug Marone took a lot of media and career flack.... but he CLEARLY saw the problem on the horizon.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'm as big of a Pegula fan as they come. And I think Buffalo media is really stupid in their reporting on them. And some of those questions were the sort of thing that would make me snap.

That said, it's painfully obvious they need a football guy to be the team president. I don't care about Brandon and he can be president of PSE for all I care. But they need someone on the football side with football know how if for nothing else just to put the right people in place. Obviously Coughlin is the name that comes to mind, but anyone would really due. Hell I'd take Marv Levy or Bill Polian on their deathbeds if they insist on a "Buffalo guy." Just someone that will actually know how to evaluate football personnel. Because why would the Pegulas know how to evaluate a GM/coach?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Is that why he asked for a contract extension?

Thank you. The short term memory among fans is unbelievable. We all hate Doug but as soon as some other stuff goes down, people act like he wasn't so bad and really knew something we didn't about the Bills front office.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Q: My follow-up is because you just made a reference to Russ’s expanded role with [Pegula Sports Entertainment]. Is something new or are we just talking about the fact that —

A: Yeah, he’s in charge of all — yeah, I don’t even know what he’s in charge of. I just know he’s in charge of a lot.

:laugh:

I ****ing hate Russ Brandon. I want to see the Bills succeed. But they're not going to as long as Russ is around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad