GDT: Bufallo Sabres at Ottawa Senators - 630PM - TSN5/RDS2 - Farewell Mister Anderson, farewell.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I agree, I do question some of these players pride. Its a select few that are mailing it in, must drive their teammates crazy.
I mean. I don’t know. Outside of giroux tarasenko and hamonic and chychrun. All these guys know is eachother and DJ and losing and getting paid for it. I know if it actually drives them crazy. I don’t know if these guys know how to play consistently at the nhl level because truth be told they’ve never been asked to or been pushed to. I know it’s a given like they should know. But they’re young.

One thing I’ve constantly heard about chabot is how competitive he is. And disregarding his sort of nonchalant play style…we don’t really see that other than the odd swear word.

They’re comfortable and I truthfully believe they don’t know what to do in the defensive zone. Once it gets past “to the puck first and get it up the boards and out to the outlet” they look truly lost. As soon as things get technical, they start spinning like tops. The game looks so complicated for them.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Do you actually think a coach is to blame for an NHL player not tieing up someone in front of the net? DJ can try and hold them accountable but the GM is pressed against the cap so they cant call players up. Chabot needs to be benched once in a while though. It never happens.

It is definitely the coaches fault if the same player has been doing it for years and gets no consequence and shows no improvement.

It’s been five years. The cap excuse only applies this year. DJ has his chance to fix these guys and can’t do it.

Reactions: Pierre from Orleans

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It isn't about who's fault it is that is happened or started happening.

It is about it not getting fixed. The coach's job is to address issues that come up.

Sounds to me like you are arguing we should trade Chabot (GM's job) or bench him (coach's job affected by the cap mess we have right now).

Chabot is not likely to be traded so that leaves the coach. I agree Dorion shouldn't be allowed to choose another coach but Patrick Roy is available and has a relationship with Andlaeur....
No i literally said the exact opposite of this in another thread seconds ago. I do think they need a new coach but there are multi layers to the teams current issues. Its basic hockey to compete for pucks, tie playeres up etc. Players that dont should be benched. The current coach wont do that I think his time is up. Like you I dont think that Dorion should be allowed to choose. The first move should be firing the GM that should have been done the moment Staios came in. I hope it happens by the end of the day. The unfortunate situation with the Bowness family maybe delaying this as they would need someone in an interim transition role and I dont think Ryan is available.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Andlauer and Staios have to realize the bind Dorion has put them in right?
There is no shmoozing or BSing or lip smacking that gets Dorion a pass on that right?

The Cap is going to plague the team even if Pinto didn't exist. Leaving a very good promising young player to rot through Dorion's incompetent blunder is a bad look. A very negative impression. Dorion's legacy. This will be his the topic of his 1st interview question after the written basic arithmetic test.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Andlauer and Staios have to realize the bind Dorion has put them in right?
There is no shmoozing or BSing or lip smacking that gets Dorion a pass on that right?

The Cap is going to plague the team even if Pinto didn't exist. Leaving a very good promising young player to rot through Dorion's incompetent blunder is a bad look. A very negative impression. Dorion's legacy. This will be his the topic of his 1st interview question after the written basic arithmetic test.
Swiftwin has assured us that Dorion has all the leverage wrt to Pinto

Hahahaha

Reactions: Bileur

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
DJ has proven to be a likeable players coach that works hard and has his heart in the right place. I think these players need a different message and someone that takes a harder line in getting them to play with more discipline. One of the hardest thing as a coach to do is to hold your best players accountable and often lesser players are used as examples to lose ice time when they are not doing it right. This should have started 2 years ago and just like with kids you have to be consistent otherwise you lose the audience. Imagine DJ sitting Tkachuk for not defending or taking a bad penalty... its not going to happen. Parker Kelly would be stapled to the bench.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Do Ottawa games always have the best music? Holy crap, they played "Evil" by Merciful fate and "Holy Diver" by Dio which are numbers one and two of the best songs I've ever heard at a hockey game (on tv).

Shout out to the music guy there!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
So why bother replying to users saying they want a new coach that the real issue is Chabot and others not putting the work in?
It can be both. Thats the point, I see posters blaming decisions by players on the coach as a cop out. There are certain things that can exclusively be the players fault. There are certain things that are on the coaching staff.

DJ has proven to be a likeable players coach that works hard and has his heart in the right place. I think these players need a different message and someone that takes a harder line in getting them to play with more discipline. One of the hardest thing as a coach to do is to hold your best players accountable and often lesser players are used as examples to lose ice time when they are not doing it right. This should have started 2 years ago and just like with kids you have to be consistent otherwise you lose the audience. Imagine DJ sitting Tkachuk for not defending or taking a bad penalty... its not going to happen. Parker Kelly would be stapled to the bench.
Bingo.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Do Ottawa games always have the best music? Holy crap, they played "Evil" by Merciful fate and "Holy Diver" by Dio which are numbers one and two of the best songs I've ever heard at a hockey game (on tv).

Shout out to the music guy there!
I'd almost consider Holy Diver a pop song honestly. Not musically but it is hugely popular.

Are you saying it doesn't get any play ever from wherever you are?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It can be both. Thats the point, I see posters blaming decisions by players on the coach as a cop out. There are certain things that can exclusively be the players fault. There are certain things that are on the coaching staff.
Sounds like tone policing to me. You know who is our local tone police officer? Swiftwin ;)

No one believes that a new coach will see this team become dominant. We just want a new coach because DJ, as likeable as he is, has run his course. I hated the hire but he has turned out to be a good enough coach for the rebuild and he's likeable so I'd like to see him do well but it isn't happening (yet?).

A new coach's focus will have to be on fixing Chabot. Coaches have fixed players before, no reason to think it can't happen here.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Sounds like tone policing to me. You know who is our local tone police officer? Swiftwin ;)

No one believes that a new coach will see this team become dominant. We just want a new coach because DJ, as likeable as he is, has run his course. I hated the hire but he has turned out to be a good enough coach for the rebuild and he's likeable so I'd like to see him do well but it isn't happening (yet?).

A new coach's focus will have to be on fixing Chabot. Coaches have fixed players before, no reason to think it can't happen here.
I dont believe it was tone policing. I just think its both macro and micro issues when it comes to evaluation.

Id like your post if I could. But I cant. Thanks for the response.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
DJ I thought was hired because he knows how to coach and train young players, due to his success at the junior level.

He’s failed - all of his young players have really bad habits and it’s the only consistency that they’ve shown in the entire 5 years he’s been here.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Bingo.

I'm not saying this is what is happening all the time but players get a sort of paralysis when they haven't been properly instructed in where to be and what to do in situations. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that in the NHL a fraction of a second's hesitation, because you're unsure of your responsibility, is all it takes to "not take a man" or "hang on to the puck for too long".

Having your players collectively perform under pressure, make crisp decisions and compete is the coach's portfolio. They need detailed communication, responses to all situations and endless reps showing them what to do. For years now we've had all walks of players (stars, fringe guys, grinders, etc.) all seem to exhibit the same flaws. At this point it is not a coincidence. The players are not ready. That's on DJ Smith.

The time for a new coach was 12 months ago. Dorion should not have the luxury of firing and hiring another coach. Time has come to rip off these two band-aids and get to work creating a team that will perform under pressure.

Reactions: ThreeMs

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Okay this doesn’t make sense. If there’s an instigator he’s suspended. Why would the ref have to rescind it now if the league just said he’s not suspended

What would DJ have been fined for? His comments in the post-game scrum that he thought Brady's fight instigation wasn't the kind meant to be addressed by the rule?
Coach is fined for instigators in the last 5 minutes. Coach is fined and player is suspended

Reactions: Flamingo

Senovision

May 23, 2011
What would DJ have been fined for? His comments in the post-game scrum that he thought Brady's fight instigation wasn't the kind meant to be addressed by the rule?

NHL rule, a player who receives an instigator penalty in the last five minutes of a game receives a one-game suspension and his coach is fined $10,000.
Coaches get automatically $10,000 fine when that happens it is a league rule. However because Brady is not being suspended there will be no fine to DJ Smith.

Last edited:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
DJ is a player's coach. Always was and always will be. That's why Tkachuk woke up, when the players heard the DJ fire chant. Because that's his responsibility as a captain in DJ's world to whip players. But you have to bench them, scratch them and get in their faces to get your message across. Chychrun's lazy and uninterested plays. Chabot is just a cheater and a passenger since he joined the league. So is Batherson. Defence told to simplify things and always exit a zone by forcing a puck up the boards. Teams have a book on Sens and rush to the boards and open players in the middle, because the puck will be there. 4 goals were scored in two games due to turnovers on the boards. And DJ continues this bone head practice. October games are more then playoff games. To come out flat even for one game is disgraceful and unprofessional. And DJ lets it go. Should be fired.

Reactions: LiseL

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Also these goalies need consistent start. Forsberg looked like he had lead in his legs. Look at him trying to get across for that first goalie. The second goal is a ssuuuuppppper high tip that is coming at him in slow motion. Third goal he doesn’t even know where the puck. The 1A 1B rotation that dj loves doesn’t work and has never worked

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I mean if the diving gets us PPs then please continue. You play to the win the game. Not to be thought of as a man by men on message boards. This team needs to start winning by hook or by crook. If you need to out laxatives in the other teams biosteel then so be it.

It’s his lackadaisical play other than that that’s been frustrating.
Like that play at the end of the game was just lazy and lacking focus. There’s 30 seconds on the clock. You have space. f***ing chill.
Diving has no place in the NHL…

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Diving has no place in the NHL…
Anything has a place if it leads to winning.

Then stop watching. Diving and embellishment has been happening in every pro sports and semi pro and amateur.

You play to win the game. If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying. Yada yada

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad