GDT: Bufallo Sabres at Ottawa Senators - 630PM - TSN5/RDS2 - Farewell Mister Anderson, farewell.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
watching him rush up the ice, in the last 45 seconds of, his legs were whacked a few times, in the neutral zone…. And then he was touched in the offensive zone and went down (aka dove) way too easy. Thought he was going to called for it, and so did he when he got up and looked around wondering if he got away with it.

someone has put him up against the wall, and read the riot act him… the NHL is no place for the Euro Football diving mentality that has been part of Euro Culture since I watched first hand in the 60s, and have seen it migrate over the Atlantic in the mid seventies.
I mean if the diving gets us PPs then please continue. You play to the win the game. Not to be thought of as a man by men on message boards. This team needs to start winning by hook or by crook. If you need to out laxatives in the other teams biosteel then so be it.

It’s his lackadaisical play other than that that’s been frustrating.
Like that play at the end of the game was just lazy and lacking focus. There’s 30 seconds on the clock. You have space. f***ing chill.

Last edited:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Bath has been on the 1st unit. Norris took DBC's spot. Giroux was on PP2 last year as well.

Brady net front, Bath and Stu on the halfwalls, Norris and Sanderson on the point.

The PP is clicking at 22%, that's great.

Only difference is Sanderson in for Chabot, which has been a great addition.

Sanderson has 2 PPG already in 6 games, Chabot has 8 in his 390 game career.
As a righty, Norris doesn't fit where DeBc was. Zone entries and puck movement seemed much easier last season, imo.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I just listened to the DJ Smith post game press interview on the TSN 1200 clip and nobody asked DJ about why Forsberg took to the nets at the start of the third period just before the puck dropped and then get pulled before the puck dropped and was replaced by Korpi.
I would have thought someone would ask that question.
Yeah, that's a question that has to be asked.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
One of the key issues is they keep breaking down defensively. A new coach/coaching staff very well may figure out a way to reduce those, no reason to think the players can't be better.

Whatever the current coaching staff has been doing, they haven't shown to have the ability to get the most out of the roster. Something's gotta give.

Buffalo's points seemed to have much more time and space with the puck today than Ottawa's opponents have had this year. It was a bit reminiscent of last season.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I just listened to the DJ Smith post game press interview on the TSN 1200 clip and nobody asked DJ about why Forsberg took to the nets at the start of the third period just before the puck dropped and then get pulled before the puck dropped and was replaced by Korpi.
Anyway Gord spins that it’s gonna seem kinda dumb. “Safe to say coach you wish you told forsberg he wasn’t playing in the third??”
“Safe to say coach you want korpisalo out there for the third?”

“Safe to say you were looking for a bounce back performance here?”

“Safe to say you were hoping for a different result”

Safe to say you wanted to score more goals than you gave up tonight coach?

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
watching him rush up the ice, in the last 45 seconds of, his legs were whacked a few times, in the neutral zone…. And then he was touched in the offensive zone and went down (aka dove) way too easy. Thought he was going to called for it, and so did he when he got up and looked around wondering if he got away with it.

someone has put him up against the wall, and read the riot act him… the NHL is no place for the Euro Football diving mentality that has been part of Euro Culture since I watched first hand in the 60s, and have seen it migrate over the Atlantic in the mid seventies.
He stopped diving last year but that play was absolutely a dive.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, I meant with DeBc having been a righty, Norris doesn't fit on the left side wall where DeBc played.
No Norris can’t go there. He has a one timer. That’s it that’s his value on the pp. if you take that away what’s the point

Buffalo's points seemed to have much more time and space with the puck today than Ottawa's opponents have had this year. It was a bit reminiscent of last season.
Likely we lost a bad one in Detroit so DJ reverted back to what he thinks works

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
One of the key issues is they keep breaking down defensively. A new coach/coaching staff very well may figure out a way to reduce those, no reason to think the players can't be better.

Whatever the current coaching staff has been doing, they haven't shown to have the ability to get the most out of the roster. Something's gotta give.
The key issue is competing for pucks in the danger areas or lack there of. When both Chabot or JBD dont even bother to try and tie up players in front of the net while they take no one. Who end up tipping pucks into the net, well the coach cant fix that type of mistake. That's just laziness and no willingness to compete.

I agree that they need a new voice but these breakdowns have more to do with a willingness to battle for ice.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, I meant with DeBc having been a righty, Norris doesn't fit on the left side wall where DeBc played.
Yes, they will change that up to operate from the right wall where Norris scored 16 the previous season. When Norris is back to 100%, Stu will be put back in his spot on the wall he has occupied since coming in and Norris will go back to his spot at the point.

Both of their PP triggermen shoot left this season in Norris and Tarasenko, as well as Chychrun and Stutzle. The PP had to be switch to be focused on guys playing the right side.

Sanderson operates the exact same way as a distributor as Chabot does, and offers a much better shot and one timer himself that Chabot doesn't.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Did you even read my post? they need a new coach, but if you think the coach is going to solve some of these individual issues and play the games for them you're gonna be disappointed.
What's your solution?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I think Stu is becoming too predictable and teams are keying in on him especially in the defensive zone.

He tends to hold onto the puck for too long while attempting to curl back deeper into the defensive zone to allude forecheckers which quite often gets him into trouble.

He needs to adjust.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Possibly a result of the players panicking about weak goaltending, a coaching decision etc...

That it happens sometimes is expected, what you want to see is the coaching staff recognizing it and adjusting. The issue isn't necessarily caused by the coaching but it is up to the coaching to identify and take corrective measures.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The key issue is competing for pucks in the danger areas or lack there of. When both Chabot or JBD dont even bother to try and tie up players in front of the net while they take no one. Who end up tipping pucks into the net, well the coach cant fix that type of mistake. That's just laziness and no willingness to compete.

I agree that they need a new voice but these breakdowns have more to do with a willingness to battle for ice.
It is the coaches' job to get the most of out of the players.

It is a poor shepherd who blames his flock

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It is the coaches' job to get the most of out of the players.

It is a poor shepherd who blames his flock
Do you actually think a coach is to blame for an NHL player not tieing up someone in front of the net? DJ can try and hold them accountable but the GM is pressed against the cap so they cant call players up. Chabot needs to be benched once in a while though. It never happens.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Do you actually think a coach is to blame for an NHL player not tieing up someone in front of the net? DJ can try and hold them accountable but the GM is pressed against the cap so they cant call players up. Chabot needs to be benched once in a while though. It never happens.
I think if he can’t scare them into doing their job then a new voice is needed. Which I know you’ve already said. These players, I think, are simply too comfortable

Reactions: Alex1234

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Of course there is. The players just f*** it up. It looks disorganized because guys are blowing assignments and getting out of position.

Smith can’t get these guys to buy in for whatever reason. Happened last year and it’s happening again.

Getting people to fall in line behind you and your message is a key ability for a leader.

I can't name one good thing he brings to the table

He’s easily got the best last names per jersey ratio in the whole organization.

Eh. It's still early, I think we should give him 20 more games to show what he can do. :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Would 20 more games really help? He’s got no Pinto and now Zub is out. He probably needs 20 games in 2024-2025 so we can have a real picture of what we’re working with.

so what's the tank slogan this year.

Play shitii for Celebrini?

Pack it in for Macklin

He’s hurt.

Chabot has somehow morphed into Cody Ceci. Nothing comes easy, nothing is fluid, constant hesitation in all three zones. Can't defend off the rush, can't box out. Can't pass the puck.

Chabot is clearly hobbled. He doesn’t have his usual explosiveness.

Unfortunately Dorion’s negligent cap management has left the sens in a position where they can’t replace him.

DJ’s solution seems to be to give him a new partner and continue to play him out of position.

We continue to set up Chabot to fail.

Ottawa has the softest media in Canada by far. Lob balls only.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think if he can’t scare them into doing their job then a new voice is needed. Which I know you’ve already said. These players, I think, are simply too comfortable
I agree, I do question some of these players pride. Its a select few that are mailing it in, must drive their teammates crazy.

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
If I were in the media I’d ask Dorion if he cleared out his locker last night or if he’s waiting for this afternoon.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Exactly.
And the Detroit game was the exact opposite where they played really hard the first period and then the last 40 minutes was lacking intensity and effort.

Please lets have no more fake stat padding late goals when they don't have a chance at winning a game. The game is 60 minutes long not 5 where were you guys for 55 minutes!!!.

That is the main problem. The guys seem unable to play their game for a full 60 minutes. We need consistency.

Now, I get no one is 'on' every shift and there is another team on the ice trying to throw you off your game, so expecting 60 high quality minutes is a bit much.....but 5-15 minutes of good hockey is way too little. Especially for this group that has a good number of games under their belt now.

And outside of a wholesale coaching change, I'm not sure how to fix it. And honestly, at this point I'm not even sure a coaching change can fix it. The play in our own zone and lack of details overall (and especially in the dirty areas of the ice) have been subpar for so long, it will take one hell of a lot to break bad habits, and rebuild a foundation with a lot of these guys (and likely also mean a bit of a dip in offensive stats, which will be another area of contention with the kids).

There is a lot of talent there to work with, but I wonder about the hockey IQ and drive to be complete players, instead of run and gunners. Run and gun is fun, but it usually doesn't win a championship.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It isn't about who's fault it is that is happened or started happening.

It is about it not getting fixed. The coach's job is to address issues that come up.

Sounds to me like you are arguing we should trade Chabot (GM's job) or bench him (coach's job affected by the cap mess we have right now).

Chabot is not likely to be traded so that leaves the coach. I agree Dorion shouldn't be allowed to choose another coach but Patrick Roy is available and has a relationship with Andlaeur....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad