GDT: Bufallo Sabres at Ottawa Senators - 630PM - TSN5/RDS2 - Farewell Mister Anderson, farewell.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Turk Gallant. We have the right pieces. But nobody to assemble the puzzle. Fire DJ 🔥
Gallant seems to wear out his welcome quickly but I like the way his teams play.

Realistically this team is two coaches away. A hard ass defensive coach. And then the winner. Problem is DJ has been around for way too f***ing long and the defensive coach should have been brought in last year.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Gallant seems to wear out his welcome quickly but I like the way his teams play.

Realistically this team is two coaches away. A hard ass defensive coach. And then the winner. Problem is DJ has been around for way too f***ing long and the defensive coach should have been brought in last year.
As a Maritimer, Turk speaks fluent Cape Breton..so he should be able to get thru to Batherson ;)

"Jeeses by, wtf ya doin out there?"

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Turk Gallant. We have the right pieces. But nobody to assemble the puzzle. Fire DJ 🔥
I'm down for replacing DJ but I don't think Gallant is the guy. Haven't his successful seasons relied on godly goaltending? That ain't happening with this team...

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
He's getting frustrated and he's started diving and whining again.

watching him rush up the ice, in the last 45 seconds of, his legs were whacked a few times, in the neutral zone…. And then he was touched in the offensive zone and went down (aka dove) way too easy. Thought he was going to called for it, and so did he when he got up and looked around wondering if he got away with it.

someone has put him up against the wall, and read the riot act him… the NHL is no place for the Euro Football diving mentality that has been part of Euro Culture since I watched first hand in the 60s, and have seen it migrate over the Atlantic in the mid seventies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Another quality of DJ Smith teams - they don’t show up for the measuring stick games. They don’t perform in need to wins.

His teams don’t control their emotions well, kinda like the coach. They lack maturity and don’t regroup well. They focus on dominating, physically and scoreboard instead of winning. Winning is hard discipline, being an emotional get even hockey player is easy.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It's a rough spot to be in when you have two 2A goalies.

Not going to be much consistency, and you're not going to be able to depend on them game to game.

The most egregious aspect of the team for the past decade has been the goaltending decisions. It's been a lousy affair at best.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Don't know that until you try. They shouldn't be trading anyone in the core until a new coach and GM get a look at them.

Oh yeah? So players should just take cheap shots and p***y out? No it was the correct response it's October they play them 3 more times. Bullshit rule and call.

No one ever blames the players. Lol. I mean the sens outplayed them. They were shit in front of the net. Chabot and JBD literally took no one on two of the tip goals. This team needs a new voice but holy shit this teams effort and compete levels in important areas of the ice are pathetic. Stutzle seems to have joined Chabot and Batherson in the collect a pay cheque and not compete category.
I blame the players all the time

Whats the solution?

Blow up the core and extend DJ another 10 years???

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What?

Of course the players are at fault. But you can't just fire the players.

If you bring in a new coach, and the same shit happens, then you have to start taking a hard look at your roster.

We've never seen these guys with any other coach.

I don't think it's a problem of competing with Stutzle, it's a problem of trying to do too much. He's not being casual out there, he's overhandling the puck. He's trying to beat 2 or 3 guys by himself.

He's getting frustrated and he's started diving and whining again.

We've been playing catch-up over the past few games and it's a lot more annoying throwing everything at the net and not scoring when you're losing and then watching every puck they shoot sail into ours.
I think they need a new coach yes but they need a new GM first who makes that decision. I see so many posters blame the coach for individual player problems.

Disagree on Stutzle, his legs aren't churning unless he has the puck. He also seems weaker on the puck. Goal #2 against Detroit was pure laziness. Now that type if thing is accountability. A new coach hypothetically could instill that. I actually dont think DJ is a bad coach his message though has worn thin.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think we saw a bad game from Forsberg, and mixed up D pairings. C’est tout.
I do think the score impacts people's impression of how the game went, but we didn't play our best game.

Some people will say the the score doesn't match how one sided the game was, so we look at shots, and we out shot them 38 to 24

Shots don't tell the whole story though, it's quality of shots, well we were up 32 to 21 in scoring chances and 14 to 8 in HDCF,

But that's score effect some will say, Buffalo shut things down in the third, well we actually were up 17-15 in SCF and tied 6-6 in HDCF after two periods.

I'd agree that the stats don't tell the whole story, we didn't really deserve a win, but history shows pretty clearly that people's impression of how teams played is coloured by the score,

Was it a great game that we deserved a better fate in, no, not really. But was it as lopsided as people though when the score was 5-1, also not really.

Edit: also, and this is important, I place full blame for this loss on misspelling the opposition teams city in the thread title, you don't respect the opposition and you'll get burned...

Reactions: Flamingo

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I just listened to the DJ Smith post game press interview on the TSN 1200 clip and nobody asked DJ about why Forsberg took to the nets at the start of the third period just before the puck dropped and then got pulled before the puck dropped and was replaced by Korpi.
I would have thought someone would ask that question.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I blame the players all the time

Whats the solution?

Blow up the core and extend DJ another 10 years???
Did you even read my post? they need a new coach, but if you think the coach is going to solve some of these individual issues and play the games for them you're gonna be disappointed.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Please lets have no more fake stat padding late goals when they don't have a chance at winning a game. The game is 60 minutes long not 5 where were you guys for 55 minutes!!!.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Put Bath or Giroux in DBC's place, and put Chabby back on #1, imo.
Bath has been on the 1st unit. Norris took DBC's spot. Giroux was on PP2 last year as well.

Brady net front, Bath and Stu on the halfwalls, Norris and Sanderson on the point.

The PP is clicking at 22%, that's great.

Only difference is Sanderson in for Chabot, which has been a great addition.

Sanderson has 2 PPG already in 6 games, Chabot has 8 in his 390 game career.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Did you even read my post? they need a new coach, but if you think the coach is going to solve some of these individual issues and play the games for them you're gonna be disappointed.

One of the key issues is they keep breaking down defensively. A new coach/coaching staff very well may figure out a way to reduce those, no reason to think the players can't be better.

Whatever the current coaching staff has been doing, they haven't shown to have the ability to get the most out of the roster. Something's gotta give.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Please lets have no more fake stat padding late goals when they don't have a chance at winning a game. The game is 60 minutes long not 5 where were you guys for 55 minutes!!!.
Exactly.
And the Detroit game was the exact opposite where they played really hard the first period and then the last 40 minutes was lacking intensity and effort.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad