Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Sabres sign D Owen Power to ELC (3 years, $916.667k AAV)

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
2018 was a legitimately weak draft. The two big draws were Svechnikov and Dahlin. Many of those picked in the top 30 are not looking all that great now.

2021 didn’t have anyone that looked like a bonafide number 1 Matthews or McDavid level guy but had several very talented players ranked 1 through 30. Most of the kids picked in the first round have trended better than the 2018 kids in their d+1.

I don’t know if Dahlin would have gone number 1 in any of the last 3 drafts.
As a prospect he would of went #1 in all drafts since 2017 and probably #2 in 16.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
2018 was a legitimately weak draft. The two big draws were Svechnikov and Dahlin. Many of those picked in the top 30 are not looking all that great now.

2021 didn’t have anyone that looked like a bonafide number 1 Matthews or McDavid level guy but had several very talented players ranked 1 through 30. Most of the kids picked in the first round have trended better than the 2018 kids in their d+1.

how exactly are you measuring draft weakness? Is it because there wasn’t a mcjesus at the top? Most drafts don’t have that.

there is significant bias fir large markets/ strong playoff teams on evaluating young players

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I know Dahlin hasn't yet become an elite player to justify that hype (just getting there now), but I think when he was drafted his stock was higher than any other recent #1, excepting maybe Jack Hughes. I think it was higher than Power and Lafreniere when they were drafted and possibly higher than Hughes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad