Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Sabres sign D Owen Power to ELC (3 years, $916.667k AAV)

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
Alex Tuch leads the team now, he very likely even called Power up and made him feel welcomed him to the organization. Lifted the iron curtain on the team. Thanks for nothing, Jack! Whoops, I mean, thanks for Tuch, Jack!
Tuch might be the best thing this team has traded for in years. Just for his leadership alone . He genuinely loves the area and is such a positive force on the kids. His impact was felt from day one
. Time to slap the C on our boy Donny Meatballs. Yup definitely better than Captain Sulk who is an insecure Mook who has to give vaguely salty backhanded comments about the fans that suffered right alongside with this shitty team. Sorry sorry I know it's not a "crap on Eichel thread' just think it's incredible that Tuch has done more for the youngsters and this current culture shift then Jack-Ass did in 6 damn years. We got our future Captain locked up til 2026 I believe on a killer deal..
The culture shift has arrived Sabres fans. You can see these kids competing night in and night out against teams with something to play for. Love it! What a time for us Buffalo fans .. I have no doubt there will be rough patches next year but this team should finish with a winning record next year and maybe battle far down in the Wildcard standing. But that depends if Kevin. Can fix our current Bane that destroyed us this year ( outside of the ridiculousness amount of man games lost to injury) --- Goaltending . .

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
I don't think anybody insisted that he was gonna refuse to sign in Buffalo.
People said it was a possibility and that he should.
And those geniuses are so swell people. Yes you shouldn't waste your career in that dump , Sabres going to ruin another talent , he should play out collage and chose his own team etc blah blah blah. Like the kid was going to wait a couple more years and stiff himself out of first overall money.
I'm sure he's been following us this year and likes the flashes of cohesion and flickers of a team having fun and gelling together. Plus he knows he is a vital piece of the franchise now. We finally have hope after all these years.... Donny G is the perfect coachl
To develop the kids and have them take their game to the next level. Like he's already done with Thompson ,Dahlin, Brought Skinner back to form. Hell even Kyle Okposo has been revitalized under him. Couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. his story about how. Dealing with major concussion s and being In agony through years and years. And how he has turned his game around and tweaked it has to be one ofy favorite heartwarming feel good stories ever.

He has the players eager to come to the rink everyday and have fun. And stressed not to take losses to heart and let it fester game after game . The exact opposite of what Jack's core did. Every fleeting bit of success those mooks had was then followed by a freefall where none of them seemingly had the heart or stones too overcome a rough patch then they would utterly collapse. Can't see this core doing that.
GMKA actually did a ballsy thing by getting rid of the three biggest perpetrators and selling them off. He wanted players who want to be here and by God we as Sabres fans can see glimpses of the light at the end........ hopefully it's not a f***ing train .

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Okay. I thought there was a GP bonus too..! 5, 10, 15 type scale
But the Performance Bonus Exhibit in the CBA doesn't include GP, and I couldn't find it written in anywhere else! (Maybe hidden in there that I didn't see or in some memorandum; @mouser are you well versed on ELC bonuses? lol)

If they can do GP, makes a little more sense, but unless they're that afraid of their star players getting injured and burning them now, why not just give him the extra $25k??

It’s in CBA 9.7. Power can get a $25k bonus for playing 5 games. If that $25k was instead added onto his Salary it would be prorated by roughly 90% after signing so late in the season, so Power would only get $2.5k in his pocket, not the $25k for playing 5 games.

The $925k compensation limit on ELC‘s includes Games Played Bonuses, Signing Bonuses and Salary.

Power is better off assuming he plays 5 NHL games this season.

00B241AA-FE87-48A7-81F3-83EBB7A679FF.jpeg

Last edited:

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
If he and Dahlin were in the same draft he would be picked ahead of Dahlin. Sabers have an insane duo on the blue line for the future.
No, Dahlin was a generational prospect but I wouldn't be surprised if Owen Power becomes the better player.

Having both and Mattias Samuelsson as core guys for the next half decade is gonna be big. Samuelsson quietly looking like a solid "stay at home" guy. Anything from Ryan Johnson will be gravy

Reactions: RasmWristshotlainen

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It’s in CBA 9.7. Power can get a $25k bonus for playing 5 games. If that $25k was instead added onto his Salary it would be prorated by roughly 90% after signing so late in the season, so Power would only get $2.5k in his pocket, not the $25k for playing 5 games.

The $925k compensation limit on ELC‘s includes Games Played Bonuses, Signing Bonuses and Salary.

Power is better off assuming he plays 5 NHL games this season.

View attachment 528709

Thank you for that explaination.

Why did he sign for less than the max?

Ummm... two posts above yours is the answer.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Is he going to play soon? Might have to tune in to a Sabers game , that’s something I haven’t said this year hahaha
You've been missing out. For the last month and a half they've been a really entertaining team to watch. Even when they're outclassed they don't quit. And they aren't getting outclassed very often.

Adding Power and Jack Quinn will help. They need an experienced goalie and RHD. Next year may surprise those who haven't been paying attention.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
What does this even mean?
He always holds his phone in the silliest ways while recording his trade/signing videos and feel he’d have the classic old man top of head zoom camera
That’s all
Anywho, stoked to see how Power will look. Really like the what the Sabres have been building

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Sabres need a netminder. Their defense is getting bolstered nicely, Dahlin is coming in to his own and 1st year Samuelson is a big dude, progressing as expected.

Their forwards are quick, they fight hard for pucks, but they lack a couple of top end finishers that can elevate clutch time for the team, not by much, but they do lack them.

Not far off the mark for a wc spot push, we'll have to wait and see how they address their needs, but Powers should be a positive for them moving forward. Good for Sabres fans, that die hard group deserves at least a playoff round after what ownership has put them through.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Congratulations Sabres! I love this player, despite not being on my team. Will be interesting to see him go head to head vs Sanderson over the next few years, as they are considered 1A and 1B defensemen not in the NHL. For the 1st time in 15 years, we can say the Sabres have a bright future! Maybe they can clone Craig Andersson and create a younger version of him.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yeah that's false. Dahlin was a generational level defenseman at his draft day...people were calling 2021 weak because Power was the expected top pick

2018 was a legitimately weak draft. The two big draws were Svechnikov and Dahlin. Many of those picked in the top 30 are not looking all that great now.

2021 didn’t have anyone that looked like a bonafide number 1 Matthews or McDavid level guy but had several very talented players ranked 1 through 30. Most of the kids picked in the first round have trended better than the 2018 kids in their d+1.

I don’t know if Dahlin would have gone number 1 in any of the last 3 drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad