Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Sabres sign D Owen Power to ELC (3 years, $916.667k AAV)

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Don't get why they would sign him now and burn a year? It's obviously good for Power but I don't see the benefit for the Sabres.

It benefits the Sabres as he won’t be eligible for arbitration until after 4 seasons (counting this one). It burns a year off his ELC, but it doesn’t count as a full season played.

No, I don’t know why that’s the case.

Reactions: Rydev

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
It benefits the Sabres as he won’t be eligible for arbitration until after 4 seasons (counting this one). It burns a year off his ELC, but it doesn’t count as a full season played.

No, I don’t know why that’s the case.
Interesting. TIL. Maybe # of games accumulated is the criteria?

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I hope it works out for him. I wish more teams would go this route and let top picks get those heavy minutes a level or two below the NHL. Power gets the best of both worlds. He gets his taste of NHL action (so he can have that in mind as he trains in the offseason) and he got those crucial developmental minutes in a winning environment. This was a great move by Buffalo IMO.

Reactions: 5 Minute Major

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Don't get why they would sign him now and burn a year? It's obviously good for Power but I don't see the benefit for the Sabres.
You might be noticing that every team seems to be doing it now.

They don't mind burning off the 1st year of the ELC because that just means that the second contract negotiations happen after 2 years experience instead of 3 years experience. That lets them keep the second contract in check. The total years of RFA control are unchanged either way.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Interesting. TIL. Maybe # of games accumulated is the criteria?

I’m guessing it’s more like percentage of what would be considered a season played as a professional, regardless of level. I’m sure there’s a bunch of math, regarding age and whatnot that comes in to play, that is probably simple to figure out if I bothered to take the time to learn about, but I don’t because… meh.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Interestingly, CapFriendly has him taking a paycut this first season, bringing his AAV down across the contract.

They maxed his signing bonus, which means the most base salary he could make, in theory, would be $832,500. Buffalo instead gave him $807,500 in year one.
The missing $25k is instead squirreled away in a performance bonus, which, looking at the Schedule A bonuses for defenseman on ELCs... I think the only way he could potentially unlock that with any sort of genuine shot would be getting 10 goals by the end of the regular season...

Reactions: WhereAreTheCookies

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson is a very very intriguing left side. All three with pedigrees and a high chance to have long NHL careers.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Interestingly, CapFriendly has him taking a paycut this first season, bringing his AAV down across the contract.

They maxed his signing bonus, which means the most base salary he could make, in theory, would be $832,500. Buffalo instead gave him $807,500 in year one.
The missing $25k is instead squirreled away in a performance bonus, which, looking at the Schedule A bonuses for defenseman on ELCs... I think the only way he could potentially unlock that with any sort of genuine shot would be getting 10 goals by the end of the regular season...
That is kind of interesting, especially since I doubt the team cares about a few thousand dollars. I'm sure there's some sort of reasoning for why it's structured the way it is.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Owen “Al MacInnis” Power :sarcasm:

Reactions: uncleben

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf

So after looking, I believe there is a way they can give a games played performance bonus. Cale Makars ELC had performance bonuses for year 1 that involved games played, as did Cole Caufields. So it's very likely it was a way they could get him another 25k for him playing some games before the end of the season.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
So after looking, I believe there is a way they can give a games played performance bonus. Cale Makars ELC had performance bonuses for year 1 that involved games played, as did Cole Caufields. So it's very likely it was a way they could get him another 25k for him playing some games before the end of the season.
Okay. I thought there was a GP bonus too..! 5, 10, 15 type scale
But the Performance Bonus Exhibit in the CBA doesn't include GP, and I couldn't find it written in anywhere else! (Maybe hidden in there that I didn't see or in some memorandum; @mouser are you well versed on ELC bonuses? lol)

If they can do GP, makes a little more sense, but unless they're that afraid of their star players getting injured and burning them now, why not just give him the extra $25k??

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Okay. I thought there was a GP bonus too..! 5, 10, 15 type scale
But the Performance Bonus Exhibit in the CBA doesn't include GP, and I couldn't find it written in anywhere else! (Maybe hidden in there that I didn't see or in some memorandum; @mouser are you well versed on ELC bonuses? lol)

If they can do GP, makes a little more sense, but unless they're that afraid of their star players getting injured and burning them now, why not just give him the extra $25k??

Found it

"9.7 Games Played Bonuses for Group 1 Players. Games played bonuses may be provided to a Group 1 Player only for: (i) five (5) games played, (ii) ten (10) games played, and (iii) more than ten (10) games played. Such bonuses shall be subject to the maximum limit on the amount payable and subject to the other conditions for such bonuses, as set forth below.

(a) Subject to the Entry Level compensation limits set forth in Section 9.3 above, for Skaters: (i) bonuses awarded for five (5) games played shall be limited to a maximum of $25,000 in the aggregate; and (ii) bonuses awarded for ten (10) or more games played are not limited as to the maximum amount of the bonus;"

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Found it

"9.7 Games Played Bonuses for Group 1 Players. Games played bonuses may be provided to a Group 1 Player only for: (i) five (5) games played, (ii) ten (10) games played, and (iii) more than ten (10) games played. Such bonuses shall be subject to the maximum limit on the amount payable and subject to the other conditions for such bonuses, as set forth below.

(a) Subject to the Entry Level compensation limits set forth in Section 9.3 above, for Skaters: (i) bonuses awarded for five (5) games played shall be limited to a maximum of $25,000 in the aggregate; and (ii) bonuses awarded for ten (10) or more games played are not limited as to the maximum amount of the bonus;"
Ah! You're a genius!

So if he plays 5/8 of Buffalo's last games (he didn't get into tonight's game, and Granato said he won't be there in for Sunday's game), he can cash in on 25k

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad