Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Sabres sign D Owen Power to ELC (3 years, $916.667k AAV)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pretty expected. Big incentive for him, Beniers and Johnson to sign and play one game to get their burn year (doesn't apply to L. Hughes as he'd need 9 to get his burn year).

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
If he and Dahlin were in the same draft he would be picked ahead of Dahlin. Sabers have an insane duo on the blue line for the future.

Must be nice. Probably a true 1C away from turning it around? I really like Thompson too. If y'all can get an elite offensive first line centre in the draft (think Bedard or maybe even Savoie depending on how you view him) then Buffalo is set.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah that's false. Dahlin was a generational level defenseman at his draft day...people were calling 2021 weak because Power was the expected top pick
He wasn't generational. He was one of the best D prospects we've seen in a long time, but generational should be reserved for guys expected to win multiple Harts and be viewed as the best player in the league for a long time. It should be put to a skill (Laine has a generational shot for example) or position specific. The McDavid, Crosby, Lindros and Lemieux's of the world. Only Lindros missed on that and still got one Hart. But, I guess we see that term abused like crazy since McDavid. Dahlin was a high-quality prospect who of guys drafted since 2015 sat on a similar tier with guys like Eichel and Matthews at their draft date.

But, Dahlin would have gone above Power, and the most recent defenceman who would have challenged him was Hedman due to Hedman having such a unique skill-set (6'7 guys who have that level of skating/4 way-mobility are absolute unicorns and I honestly can't think of another player like him).

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Must be nice. Probably a true 1C away from turning it around? I really like Thompson too. If y'all can get an elite offensive first line centre in the draft (think Bedard or maybe even Savoie depending on how you view him) then Buffalo is set.
The Sabres likely would have been a playoff team in the West if they had healthy goaltending all year. The East is too tough and they had too many holes. I think with 1 top 4RD and consistent goaltending they can sneak up for a WC next year. They are adding 2 of the top 5-10 prospects outside the NHL to the lineup next season and have boat loads of cap space. I dont even think a 1C is going to help as much as what i just mentioned.

They should have 3 very balanced forward lines that should be able to score. If they can find a capable shutdown 4C to play with Girgensons and Okposo they would at worst be a tough out most nights

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
I was about to make another comment on what unusual location Weekes is reporting from this time, but I then realized...I don't know what a "normal" location would be.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I don't think anybody insisted that he was gonna refuse to sign in Buffalo.
People said it was a possibility and that he should.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Where are all those people who swore a year ago he was going to pull a Lindros and not sign with Buffalo?

Alex Tuch leads the team now, he very likely even called Power up and made him feel welcomed him to the organization. Lifted the iron curtain on the team. Thanks for nothing, Jack! Whoops, I mean, thanks for Tuch, Jack!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad