Dreger: BUF possibly keeping Taylor Hall off roster for precautionary reasons.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
A year ago I would agree but Debrusk has devolved into a god-awful 4th liner at best. The first round pick is more valuable but in the hands of Don Sweeney it would be used to go off the board and reach for a projected 4th rounder anyway so it doesn't really matter.

I'd be surprised if Hall gets even one asset of that value. He's been awful this year.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Thought it was 3 players?

Also, theoretical question since I don't think this will ever happen, but can Buffalo trade him at 50% retained to an intermediary like Chicago or San Jose, and then that intermediary trades him to another contender and retains another 50% (for 75% retention of his cap)?

Yes.

i think 50% retention on a player total. Not 50% each team he packs his suitcase for

There's nothing in the CBA preventing the max on both of the allowed retentions per individual contract (2 at most).

I think this has happened before, I could be wrong. It was pre-arranged, and I believe both the originating team and the acquiring team paid some assets to the intermediary for facilitating the deal.

Last year. Toronto retained 44% of Lehner at 50% ($1.1 mil) for a 5th (Link).

Reactions: Flukeshot

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
i think 50% retention on a player total. Not 50% each team he packs his suitcase for
this is incorrect.

each team can retain 50% of what his cap hit is to them. So it would go down to 25% if he was retained at 50% twice

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Sabres making moves in anticipation of Hall trade.
They just signed Linus Weissbach, one of there LW prospects to his ELC. Weissbach is finishing up his senior year with Wisconsin as they won the national championship. I'm guessing Adams is going to rotate in the young to see what he has for next season as the roster moves this deadline open up slots
Wisconsin did not win the national championship. They did not even qualify for the NCAA Frozen Four, which begins Thursday.

Reactions: TwiztedHeat

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I feel like most Sabres fans would be quite happy with a 2nd and Debrusk for Hall at 50%.
I feel like the Bruins fans would be quite unhappy giving up DeBrusk and a pick for Hall.........I feel I would be quite happy giving Buffalo maybe a second......

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Must be close to a deal. I’m thinking Lou Lam is bringing Hall to the Island.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I think there are about 5 good spots for him to go but I can imagine a couple of those GM's not having any interest.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Does Hall even know how to compete anymore. Few games i've seen he's been an absolute passenger. Normally i would say it's just being in Buffalo but this guy chose his team in free agency and was pretty bad in Jersey and Arizona also.

20 goals in his last 111 games is awful from his deployment. Seems losing is following him around and his cap hit is a negative.

Huge caution attached to this player

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I feel like the Bruins fans would be quite unhappy giving up DeBrusk and a pick for Hall.........I feel I would be quite happy giving Buffalo maybe a second......

At full salary, Hall might be worth a 2nd.

At 50% retained, Hall is worth far more. RK was using Hall in basically the wrong way......and he's looked much better since RK was fired.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Hall has said he won’t wave to go anywher but Edmonton. What a entitled little whiny beach she is.

Let him rot in Buffalo
You have a link to him stating he will only accept a trade to Edmonton? He’s on an expiring contract, so wouldn’t he accept a trade to a top team, like the islanders or Colorado, who have a really good chance of a deep playoff run? Having playoff success would help him with his next contract, wouldn’t it?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
You have a link to him stating he will only accept a trade to Edmonton? He’s on an expiring contract, so wouldn’t he accept a trade to a top team, like the islanders or Colorado, who have a really good chance of a deep playoff run? Having playoff success would help him with his next contract, wouldn’t it?
It was on Twitter, he was quoted as saying he has unfinished business in Edmonton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad