Confirmed Trade: [BUF/NAS] Jimmy Vesey's Draft Rights for 2016 3rd (#76) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
So based on this tweet from Vesey from last season's opener, I'd say it's Vesey to Chicago confirmed.

Also this:

Out of Boston, Buffalo, Toronto, and Chicago... Chicago gives him the best chance to actually play playoff hockey right away.

Of course I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek with these tweets, but as there is nothing else to discuss on the Vesey front for the moment...

I'd say that considering the Pens just won the Cup, and the fact Connor Sheary is the only LW he would need to compete with for a chance to be on Crosby's LW, I'd say the Pens still would have some appeal!

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I think it's less than 50/50 right now if Boston makes the play-offs. They are if anything worse this season than last. No one on that team was even close to a PPG last season. And no, the tear down hasn't started - they still have plenty of assets to sell.

Why go there? It's a terrible career move. They have nothing he can't get better else where. Too much uncertainty about the future.

Talk about the blind leading the blind in Buffalo. Eichel is a great player, but he is still REALLY young. Not to mention it's a minus team still in the midst of a heavy climb in the rankings. What does Buffalo give that he isn't getting else where? The chance to be on a losing team? Toronto is the exact same. He is gonna want to go somewhere he will get a bit of carry in his first season. Set the trajectory - not have a middling 35pts season.

And none of that attention will mean much when all those teams miss the play-offs for the next 2 years, and he has to help carry teams of borderline NHLers and aged-out vets. Why wouldn't he go to NYR, Tampa, Chicago where he will get better media attention, play with higher quality players over all, have a chance for real national attention on the play-offs, and get a sizable stat boost from being on positive goal differential teams?

You guys drastically over-value the home town thing or wanting to play for his Dad's team.

This kid wants to be a house-hold name pulling in high-end, long term contracts. Being a non-drafted, non-core asset, signing as a tradable UFA on a rebuilding team is not the best way to do that.

You think Panarin would have had the same break out season in Toronto, Buffalo or Boston? Zero chance.

I think Boston is probably going to be a little better than you think. I do not see them as worse this season, if they have some of their kids really start to make an impact at all they are going to be better. If they make a move and bring in a top 4 D they are going to be quite a bit better. As far a nobody being close to a point per game, they won the cup without anyone being a point per game and Krejci before he got hurt was right at a point per game. If they get contributions from players like Frank Vitrano who scored a goal per game in the AHL and they get contributions from the usual guys they will be right up there in the top half in scoring like last year.

There is no tear down coming, sure, they may make trades but I really don't think you are going to see them trade Bergeron, Krejci, Marchand, Backes, Rask, Chara, Belesky, for picks. That doesn't make sense when if they had won two more games they would have had as many points as Tampa. They missed the playoffs despite having won more games than Detroit and Philadelphia. They are a lot better than I think a lot of people are giving them credit for being.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Do you know where Vesey is from or where his family lives? You haven't figured this out yet? If he goes to Boston, this is the reason.

San Jose has Pat McNally, one of his best friends from Harvard and Danny O'Regan - older brother of Tom O'Regan, another Harvard friend - both of whom are kids he car pooled to mites with. Not to mention a spot on Joe Thornton's wing - his childhood idol and a guaranteed 50 pt season.

The fact that this conversation is so narrowly pointed at Boston because he was born there, seems sort of lazy imho.

Now don't get me wrong, I doubt Vesey signs with SJ - but I do think there are significantly better options than Boston, Buffalo and Toronto. He is gonna aim for a top team - not something in the bottom half of the league.

Let's have an honest discussion about what is best for Vesey - not just where he was born.

Again, in career terms, Boston makes zero sense compared to Chicago. Less visibility. Less scoring. Less stability. Less play-off opportunity. Less trophy possibility.

I think the Boston boys pencilling him into their rosters are going to be very, very disappointed.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I don't think Boston is a finalist. He'll want to play away from home, despite what sources say.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Honestly, Pittsburgh seems like the ideal place for him.

I don't think he'll go there, but if he believes he's a top 6 player in the NHL, you choose the team that just won a cup and is in need for a top 6 LW.

JeffForsberg21

Jul 11, 2004
Quebec
Honestly, Pittsburgh seems like the ideal place for him.

I don't think he'll go there, but if he believes he's a top 6 player in the NHL, you choose the team that just won a cup and is in need for a top 6 LW.

Exactly what I think that is best for Vesey. He will get one of the better center of the league right away and probably put 60+ points in his first season.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
So based on this tweet from Vesey from last season's opener, I'd say it's Vesey to Chicago confirmed.

Also this:

Out of Boston, Buffalo, Toronto, and Chicago... Chicago gives him the best chance to actually play playoff hockey right away.

Of course I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek with these tweets, but as there is nothing else to discuss on the Vesey front for the moment...

Except for the fat that he could have played playoff hockey LAST YEAR with Nashville....

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I'd be comfortable with him signing in Boston. They could use more middle 6 scoring options, and Boston needs all the help they can get right now.

Honestly, Boston doesn't need Vesey as much as some of the other teams on his "list" do. Top 5 offence last year, they have Marchand, Beleskey, and Vatrano(tied for AHL rookie of the year with Rantanen at the same age as Vesey, GPG player) on the roster with guys like Debrusk, Gabrielle, and Bjork in the system.He would definitely be a nice add but I wouldn't be torn if he chose to go elsewhere.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yes, but teams rumoured to be on his list include a couple of top dogs in the West. The last thing that I, as a fan of a team in the Central want, is a team like the Blackhawks to get stronger.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Most of this Vesey to Chicago talk is mainly speculation, just because they don't have a clear LW for Toews, although I can't see what Chicago would offer him that Pittsburgh wouldn't be able to offer him too. I'd still say that we can replace Kunitz or Sheary with Vesey, to play next to Crosby or Malkin. Sure, there may be slightly more competition over that LW spot, but that may just elevate his play. He'd also be playing on the closer contender for the cup. Pittsburgh would also have a much better shot at re-signing him after two years.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I'm looking forward to Boston signing him and flipping him for a top 4 defenceman. To Nashville, perhaps?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Your team is still missing a top-4 defenseman and arguably got worse with the Backes signing vs keeping Eriksson. What am I missing? Sounds to me like a team in the midst of hard times. An aging core that hasn't made the play-offs in 2 years, a limited NHL-ready prospect pool, significant roster holes, and the distraction of a looming management change if they can't turn things around.

Ya, that is totally where Vesey should go. Sounds idyllic. Again, what does Boston offer over Pittsburgh, Chicago, Tampa, New York or hell, even SJ.

Not much.

So you decided to glide over my entire post and deflect attention by going in another direction.

I will ask again: for the Bruins, what has the lack of a ppg player got to do with their performance as a team, in light of what I have told you in my last post?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
San Jose has Pat McNally, one of his best friends from Harvard and Danny O'Regan - older brother of Tom O'Regan, another Harvard friend - both of whom are kids he car pooled to mites with. Not to mention a spot on Joe Thornton's wing - his childhood idol and a guaranteed 50 pt season.

The fact that this conversation is so narrowly pointed at Boston because he was born there, seems sort of lazy imho.

Now don't get me wrong, I doubt Vesey signs with SJ - but I do think there are significantly better options than Boston, Buffalo and Toronto. He is gonna aim for a top team - not something in the bottom half of the league.

Let's have an honest discussion about what is best for Vesey - not just where he was born.

Again, in career terms, Boston makes zero sense compared to Chicago. Less visibility. Less scoring. Less stability. Less play-off opportunity. Less trophy possibility.

I think the Boston boys pencilling him into their rosters are going to be very, very disappointed.

Bookmarked. I will check back with you about this once this Vesey thing is done...

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
It's amazing all the people in this thread that know Vesey personally and are able to give us all this inside knowledge of exactly what he is (and isn't) looking for in his next team.

I think he might be telling each of you what you want to hear though...

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I'm looking forward to Boston signing him and flipping him for a top 4 defenceman. To Nashville, perhaps?

Would never happen. Especially since we don't do those type of trades.

:shakehead

What do the kids he played mites with have to do with anything? :laugh:

I said family. Not friends.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

There's no such thing as a guaranteed 50 point season for a rookie in the NHL. Who knows how easily and quickly Vesey adapts, if he slumps out of the gate he won't last on Thornton's wing for long.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
So you decided to glide over my entire post and deflect attention by going in another direction.

I will ask again: for the Bruins, what has the lack of a ppg player got to do with their performance as a team, in light of what I have told you in my last post?

Ohh sorry, we were talking about different things then. This isn't a "I hate Boston, their players suck" post. It's about realistically needing high scoring line mates for Calder consideration as a forward. If your not putting up 60+ pts, maybe even 70+, as forward, your not likely to get the nod next year. If the rest of the team isn't hitting those numbers, Vesey isn't likely to either. Boston spread the scoring strategy may or may not have its merits. I don't have a strong opinion on it - so if you want to claim they can win a cup that way, by all means, I will not argue it. But if I were Vesey, I would like my odds of getting to 60+ pts next to Kane, who had 106 pts, 46 goals alot more than Krejci, Spooner or Pastrnak who had 43 goal combined.

I am really not trying to besmirch your team. Simply pointing out why it is not THE BEST career decision for Vesey. An idea can have its merits but still fall short of excellence. And in this case, I must say Vesey to Boston, does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad