Confirmed Trade: [BUF/NAS] Jimmy Vesey's Draft Rights for 2016 3rd (#76) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
He is gonna go somewhere he can be in Calder contention. That's not Boston, not Toronto, not Buffalo. He is trying to make smart career moves - it's only a 2-year ELC after all. He wants to come in and immediately be an impact player. That means he needs to surround himself with the right supporting cast. Toronto and Buffalo might be there eventually, but not now. Boston is on the cusp of a tear down - last thing he wants after all this is to be traded for picks.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
My guess is
Buffalo 40%
Boston 40%
Chicago 20%

Boston has the hometown appeal, Chicago the city/pedigree. Buffalo has everything else: opportunity, best centers, team on the upswing, etc. If you're looking for the best situation for yourself, (IMO) it's very very hard to pass up playing with a raw talent like Eichel when you're not only friends but also know you have playing chemistry. No offense to CHI, but if he goes there and just doesn't gel well with Toews, then it's the 3rd line with Kruger.

Not necessarily. There are several line combos that could be tried:

Vesey-Toews-Hossa
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane

Panarin-Toews-Hossa
Vesey-Anisimov-Kane

Vesey-Toews-Kane
Panarin-Anisimov-Hossa

Some will think separating Panarin and Kane is not a good plan, but I think separating them is a good thing because it provides more scoring balance which is a good thing.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Some will think separating Panarin and Kane is not a good plan, but I think separating them is a good thing because it provides more scoring balance which is a good thing.

Hockey players are not interchangeable widgets. Kane and Panarin are good - but they are 103pts good together. You don't break up a winning hand.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
My only thought process is that if he wanted to sign with Buffalo, he would've done so by now. Not eliminating them yet, but I'd at least rank them very lowly.

Still expecting Boston, though am holding out hope for Chicago.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
He is gonna go somewhere he can be in Calder contention. That's not Boston, not Toronto, not Buffalo. He is trying to make smart career moves - it's only a 2-year ELC after all. He wants to come in and immediately be an impact player. That means he needs to surround himself with the right supporting cast. Toronto and Buffalo might be there eventually, but not now. Boston is on the cusp of a tear down - last thing he wants after all this is to be traded for picks.

I'm not sure that you have an accurate read on Boston's situation. I don't think they are going to do a "tear down". Last year was their tear down, they are rebuilding now.
I also think he has a pretty good shot of playing wing for Krejci and that could be a great thing for him, of course he is going to have to earn those minutes if he was to sign there.

In Buffalo if he was to play wing for Eichel that would be a pretty nice spot for him, Toronto is going to be a huge question mark but they are going to have a bunch of young guys all developing together, that could be a pretty special thing.

To make a long story short, I'm not sure any of these teams would be a bad place for him to sign, I think they all are going to have their benefits and drawbacks. I think he can be in Calder contention in any of those places if he plays well enough, of course Boston and Toronto will put him much more in the public eye so people will see how good he is if he does indeed play well enough to be in contention for the Calder.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm not sure that you have an accurate read on Boston's situation. I don't think they are going to do a "tear down". Last year was their tear down, they are rebuilding now.
I also think he has a pretty good shot of playing wing for Krejci and that could be a great thing for him, of course he is going to have to earn those minutes if he was to sign there.

In Buffalo if he was to play wing for Eichel that would be a pretty nice spot for him, Toronto is going to be a huge question mark but they are going to have a bunch of young guys all developing together, that could be a pretty special thing.

To make a long story short, I'm not sure any of these teams would be a bad place for him to sign, I think they all are going to have their benefits and drawbacks. I think he can be in Calder contention in any of those places if he plays well enough, of course Boston and Toronto will put him much more in the public eye so people will see how good he is if he does indeed play well enough to be in contention for the Calder.

Like Edmonton right?

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015

I think it's less than 50/50 right now if Boston makes the play-offs. They are if anything worse this season than last. No one on that team was even close to a PPG last season. And no, the tear down hasn't started - they still have plenty of assets to sell.

Why go there? It's a terrible career move. They have nothing he can't get better else where. Too much uncertainty about the future.

Talk about the blind leading the blind in Buffalo. Eichel is a great player, but he is still REALLY young. Not to mention it's a minus team still in the midst of a heavy climb in the rankings. What does Buffalo give that he isn't getting else where? The chance to be on a losing team? Toronto is the exact same. He is gonna want to go somewhere he will get a bit of carry in his first season. Set the trajectory - not have a middling 35pts season.

And none of that attention will mean much when all those teams miss the play-offs for the next 2 years, and he has to help carry teams of borderline NHLers and aged-out vets. Why wouldn't he go to NYR, Tampa, Chicago where he will get better media attention, play with higher quality players over all, have a chance for real national attention on the play-offs, and get a sizable stat boost from being on positive goal differential teams?

You guys drastically over-value the home town thing or wanting to play for his Dad's team.

This kid wants to be a house-hold name pulling in high-end, long term contracts. Being a non-drafted, non-core asset, signing as a tradable UFA on a rebuilding team is not the best way to do that.

You think Panarin would have had the same break out season in Toronto, Buffalo or Boston? Zero chance.

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015
So based on this tweet from Vesey from last season's opener, I'd say it's Vesey to Chicago confirmed.

Also this:

Out of Boston, Buffalo, Toronto, and Chicago... Chicago gives him the best chance to actually play playoff hockey right away.

Of course I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek with these tweets, but as there is nothing else to discuss on the Vesey front for the moment...

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener

I'm quite sure Sysreq doesn't have an accurate read on the situation.

And Calder contention does seem like a good possibility for Vesey.
It adds to the intrigue.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I think it's less than 50/50 right now if Boston makes the play-offs. They are if anything worse this season than last. No one on that team was even close to a PPG last season. And no, the tear down hasn't started - they still have plenty of assets to sell.

Why go there? It's a terrible career move. They have nothing he can't get better else where. Too much uncertainty about the future.

Why speak about things you don't know and get embarrassed? In 2010-11, top points getter for the Bruins had 62 points: we won a Cup. In 2012-13, top guy had 36 points in 45 games, a 65 points pace: we made the finals. In 2013-14, top guy had 69 points: we won the President Trophy.
So tell me again how the Bruins performing well depends on someone being ppg?

Then, you probably aren't going to like these: last year the Bruins were the ONLY team in the NHL with FOUR players with at least 60 points... and one of only two teams (the other is Dallas) with THREE 30 goal scorers... Who would have thought uh?

I am not even going to address the rest because I don't want to pile upon you. The morale is: don't pass judgements on things you don't know.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

Talk about the blind leading the blind in Buffalo. Eichel is a great player, but he is still REALLY young. Not to mention it's a minus team still in the midst of a heavy climb in the rankings. What does Buffalo give that he isn't getting else where? The chance to be on a losing team? Toronto is the exact same. He is gonna want to go somewhere he will get a bit of carry in his first season. Set the trajectory - not have a middling 35pts season.

And none of that attention will mean much when all those teams miss the play-offs for the next 2 years, and he has to help carry teams of borderline NHLers and aged-out vets. Why wouldn't he go to NYR, Tampa, Chicago where he will get better media attention, play with higher quality players over all, have a chance for real national attention on the play-offs, and get a sizable stat boost from being on positive goal differential teams?

You guys drastically over-value the home town thing or wanting to play for his Dad's team.

This kid wants to be a house-hold name pulling in high-end, long term contracts. Being a non-drafted, non-core asset, signing as a tradable UFA on a rebuilding team is not the best way to do that.

You think Panarin would have had the same break out season in Toronto, Buffalo or Boston? Zero chance.

Take a deep breath. :laugh:

You seem so certain about something that you're going to end up being wrong about.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

He's young enough where he wouldn't be traded in a tear down and looking at Boston's roster, it looks like they have an open spot for him in the top-6.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Vesey-Krejci-Backes
Beleskey-Spooner-Hayes

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA

They won't be a "losing team" much longer.

2014-15 Season - 54 pts
2015-16 Post-All Star - 92 pts (prorated)

Hard to see them taking a step back when they've next season they've added Okposo, Kulikov, and hopefully a healthy Ennis. If goaltending holds up they'll be in the playoffs. Yes there's still teams to pass but Philly Detroit and Boston haven't improved too much this offseason.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
I don't see why he wouldn't go to Chicago. Everybody's going to pay him the same money regardless.

They say he wants to play closer to his family. Also, he probably wants to go to a team that can pay him if he deserves a big contract in a few years.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
They won't be a "losing team" much longer.

2014-15 Season - 54 pts
2015-16 Post-All Star - 92 pts (prorated)

Hard to see them taking a step back when they've next season they've added Okposo, Kulikov, and hopefully a healthy Ennis. If goaltending holds up they'll be in the playoffs. Yes there's still teams to pass but Philly Detroit and Boston haven't improved too much this offseason.

Never said "step-back", said hard fought climb. You really think they added 40+ goals this season to play the play-offs? I can see them ending up around even goal-differential, so +20 increase over last. But that still isn't good enough for the play-offs. And not good enough for the kind of attention Vesey is gonna be looking for. Why suffer through the next few years of middle of the pack performance while the rebuild comes to fruition when he could just go to Chicago, get immediate media attention and a very real shot at the cup? It just doesn't make sense.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Why speak about things you don't know and get embarrassed? In 2010-11, top points getter for the Bruins had 62 points: we won a Cup. In 2012-13, top guy had 36 points in 45 games, a 65 points pace: we made the finals. In 2013-14, top guy had 69 points: we won the President Trophy.
So tell me again how the Bruins performing well depends on someone being ppg?

Then, you probably aren't going to like these: last year the Bruins were the ONLY team in the NHL with FOUR players with at least 60 points... and one of only two teams (the other is Dallas) with THREE 30 goal scorers... Who would have thought uh?

I am not even going to address the rest because I don't want to pile upon you. The morale is: don't pass judgements on things you don't know.

Your team is still missing a top-4 defenseman and arguably got worse with the Backes signing vs keeping Eriksson. What am I missing? Sounds to me like a team in the midst of hard times. An aging core that hasn't made the play-offs in 2 years, a limited NHL-ready prospect pool, significant roster holes, and the distraction of a looming management change if they can't turn things around.

Ya, that is totally where Vesey should go. Sounds idyllic. Again, what does Boston offer over Pittsburgh, Chicago, Tampa, New York or hell, even SJ.

Not much.

erikk3

Apr 21, 2015
Squamish, BC
I know nothing about this guy, but for some reason his name combined with this whole signing fiasco just automatically makes me think of the ****** bag rowers from How High when I hear about him

1dreamof1cup

Jan 9, 2016
Your team is still missing a top-4 defenseman and arguably got worse with the Backes signing vs keeping Eriksson. What am I missing? Sounds to me like a team in the midst of hard times. An aging core that hasn't made the play-offs in 2 years, a limited NHL-ready prospect pool, significant roster holes, and the distraction of a looming management change if they can't turn things around.

Ya, that is totally where Vesey should go. Sounds idyllic. Again, what does Boston offer over Pittsburgh, Chicago, Tampa, New York or hell, even SJ.

Not much.

And that's where he will :)

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

Not much.

Do you know where Vesey is from or where his family lives? You haven't figured this out yet? If he goes to Boston, this is the reason.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I actually hope he chooses Chicago now just to hear the Boo's raining down everytime he plays here. Plus he is a Prima Donna lying punk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad