Confirmed Trade: [BUF/MIN] Scandella, Pominville, 4th Round Pick for Ennis, Foligno, 3rd Round Pick

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So what's the scouting report on Scandella?

Can he realistically slot in as a good to great option on the second pair? Is he serviceable in any way on the top line or would he just look totally out of place there? Doesn't seem like he's much of a PP guy. Also, left or right side?

He's a good middle-pairing defenseman. I'm not sure that I'd count on him for top-pairing duty... but the Scandella-Spurgeon pairing from a few years ago was pretty legit. With the right partner you might make him look like a #2, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

He plays the left side. His dearth of powerplay time has more to do with the number of options the Wild have had there: Suter and Spurgeon are always going to get their time, Dumba's shot would be wasted if he wasn't getting his, and the leftovers are sort of fought over between Brodin and Scandella.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I would not add a1st to Scandella to get Nylander, the dude projects to be a 2nd liner. You're getting a #3 defenseman. You don't also get a 1st for Alex Nylander. He's not William.

I don't agree here. Nylander would be a perfect compliment to JEE/Kunin/Greenway/Kaprizov and would ease the loss of Tuch magnificently. He's very close to being an NHL regular too.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think it works well for both sides. I could deal with parting w/Nylander, I like where our mold of the core group of scoring F's are heading for the future.

Would chop $4m immediately off the cap from Minny

And sadly from Buffalo POV, Scandella is easily in our top 4 b/c of our desperate need for D now. He could possibly even be Risto's partner on the 1st pair. It would greatly reduce Bogosian's role, which is also a plus

Scandella is a good player. The numbers game in MN gave him the short end of the stick when it came to PP TOI, D partners, and Ozone starts. The way the Wild are constructed, the #3 and #4 Dmen each lead a pairing, as opposed to a traditional #3 and #4 Dmen being the second pairing. This is mostly due to handedness, and partly due to fit.

Dumba has his charms, but it's mostly to due with the PP, and offensive situations. he is not the guy you look for to provide bedrock D. That's Scandella and Brodin.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I could do the Nylander+3rd for Scandella+1st deal, too.

But I'm really interested in finding out what Minnesota's price is for Brodin.

I hear Reinhart and get a sense that they're just fishing because they think his value is low. But I don't know many Sabres fans who would agree.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Scandella easily slots in as a #2 LHD and can handle top minutes if he's paired with a true #1 RHD. When he played with Spurgeon, that pair was a top 5 pairing in the NHL. They were that good.

Sounds like exactly what we need. Seems tough to really get the right player/combination of assets to make it work between the two clubs though.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010

I hear Reinhart and get a sense that they're just fishing because they think his value is low. But I don't know many Sabres fans who would agree.

I don't think it's necessarily that Reinhart is at his lowest value, it's that MN needs a young, high potential, right hand shot C if they were to trade Brodin and Reinhart fits it perfectly.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
But if your window is now, their current play is pretty close, and you are being offered 2nd round picks and other flotsam for Scandella, to me it makes more sense to trade Brodin if it could return someone like Reinhart.

I'd disagree that the "window is now" for Minnesota. The Wild need re-alignment around it's younger players, not a push to squeeze what we can out of the older ones. Even if one believed Scandella was appreciably better than Brodin right now (I don't, personally), I'd still choose to keep Brodin.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
didn't know projections for prospects were made final and written in sharpie once they hit age 19. He just played a full year of the AHL at age 18 and obviously went through some growing pains. The talent is there, and will likely come with more maturity and experience

That's what projections are. Predictions of where they will end up while they're 19 before they get in the NHL.

Maybe he becomes a first liner one day, maybe, but right now that's not likely, and Minnesota is trading for what Nylander likely becomes, not what he is.

There's no chance Fletcher adds a 1st to a #3 defenseman to get a prospect who projects to the second line.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Sounds like exactly what we need. Seems tough to really get the right player/combination of assets to make it work between the two clubs though.

Honestly if I had my choice with the Wild I would just keep Scandella and pair him with Spurgeon and Suter with Dumba and then have Oloffson-Brodin as the bottom pair but spread minutes out evenly between the three pairs. Scandella-Spurgeon was MNs best pair, hands down, when they were partnered.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

The price on Brodin is a 1-for-1 swap and Reinhart is the closest thing the Sabres have to that. That's why discussions keep going back to that. There's no chance Brodin is moved for a package, because there's no reason to move him. I'm sure Sabres fans would say all the same things about Reinhart.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
That's what projections are. Predictions of where they will end up while they're 19 before they get in the NHL.

Maybe he becomes a first liner one day, maybe, but right now that's not likely, and Minnesota is trading for what Nylander likely becomes, not what he is.

There's no chance Fletcher adds a 1st to a #3 defenseman to get a prospect who projects to the second line.

Well he traded a prospect that projects to be a top 6 RWer to protect Scandella+Dumba already

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don't agree here. Nylander would be a perfect compliment to JEE/Kunin/Greenway/Kaprizov and would ease the loss of Tuch magnificently. He's very close to being an NHL regular too.

Yeah and the idea is they're getting an NHL #3 defenseman just entering his prime for him. You don't ALSO add a 1st.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014

I don't think everyone necessarily views him as 2nd line, but if that's where he views him then you are probably right

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Reinhart could be used in a deal for a better defensemen than Scandella or Brodin. It's that simple.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Yeah and the idea is they're getting an NHL #3 defenseman just entering his prime for him. You don't ALSO add a 1st.

You want a high profile scoring right winger? That's what you pay to get one. The kid has a magnificent shot and would be amazing paired with our current group of prospects.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Well, I don't think we do Nylander for Scandella straight up. So turning a third into a first is about balancing.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The price on Brodin is a 1-for-1 swap and Reinhart is the closest thing the Sabres have to that. That's why discussions keep going back to that. There's no chance Brodin is moved for a package, because there's no reason to move him. I'm sure Sabres fans would say all the same things about Reinhart.

Fair enough. Both are off the table.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Well, I don't think we do Nylander for Scandella straight up. So turning a third into a first is about balancing.

I agree. Scandella doesn't net Nylander but swapping what will hopefully be a late 1st for a late 3rd seems fair. Nylander is going to be good and Scandella is just entering his prime. He was the best defenseman for the Wild against STL in the playoffs too.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Reinhart could be used in a deal for a better defensemen than Scandella or Brodin. It's that simple.

The only reason he keeps getting brought up is because Sabres fans are asking on the price for Brodin. I don't think any Wild fans are hot after Sam Reinhart or anything.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You want a high profile scoring right winger? That's what you pay to get one. The kid has a magnificent shot and would be amazing paired with our current group of prospects.

He's not a high profile scoring right winger though. He's a prospect who could very well end up being the next Pulkkinen still. Not that he likely will, but from the Wild's perspective, he's a gamble. Even if he does make it, he's not going to be a perennial 30 goal scorer. He's not a high profile scoring winger.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I agree. Scandella doesn't net Nylander but swapping what will hopefully be a late 1st for a late 3rd seems fair. Nylander is going to be good and Scandella is just entering his prime. He was the best defenseman for the Wild against STL in the playoffs too.

I don't have any problem with it either. Under different circumstances I'd probably push to maximize the return on Scandella, but part of what we're getting back in a deal like this is needed cap space and that does have to factor in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad