Confirmed Trade: [BUF/MIN] Scandella, Pominville, 4th Round Pick for Ennis, Foligno, 3rd Round Pick

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
After reading through the board & my own personal thoughts...

To Minnesota: Alex Nylander, BUF 2018 3rd

To Buffalo: Marco Scandella, conditional MIN 2018 1st
*condition - If MIN misses playoffs & 2018 1st is in the lottery, regardless of where pick lands, pick changes to MIN 2019 1st

This is a deal I would do. I'd probably just make it a straight up 2018 1st with no conditions.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Without adding Senyshyn or Frederic, it doesn't make sense for MN to move Scandella for Mcquaid+

I understand that, I see these 2 as bad teams to trade with today, yet somehow this rumour keeps going.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/wild
PROJECTED CAP SPACE : $13,441,409

8F/5D/2G.

Nino& Granlund could take 11-12M from that already on their own.

With Bostons C prospects I wouldn't give up Frederic today.

Russo's guessing $4-something for Nino and $5-something for Granlund. Not that he's infallible about these things, but he's been pretty accurate in the past. So let's say $11m for both; leaves us with $2.5m. A Scandella trade with McQuaid coming back bumps that up to ~$4m and takes care of the RD slot. So $4m to sign a 4C, 4LW and a backup goalie. About $1m each plus $1m in breathing room.

Again, I don't know that that's ideal for either team or who the prospect coming from Boston would be or anything like that. But I think cap-wise it makes some sense.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012

*condition - If MIN misses playoffs & 2018 1st is in the lottery, regardless of where pick lands, pick changes to MIN 2019 1st

Haven't you had enough 1sts from Minnesota?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Without adding Senyshyn or Frederic, it doesn't make sense for MN to move Scandella for Mcquaid+

I would assume that McQuaid is the "+" to a Scandella deal, and is added only to make the cap work for BOS. Still, if they couldn't get it done before the draft, can't see Fletcher going for a 2018 1st.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I understand that, I see these 2 as bad teams to trade with today, yet somehow this rumour keeps going.

It could end up being something like Scandella for Spooner+ though. I def wouldn't like it from a MIN standpoint unless the add is a 2018 1st though.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
You need centers and dumping salary, I'm hearing?

YOUNG center, NHL experienced or close. Appears right now (from Russo speculation) that they want to ease Eriksson-Ek in on wing and as it stands they'd move Coyle back to center that third line. Makes sense a young 3C would be on their wishlist as Coyle has been better on wing. Yes, salary dumping regardless on top of that.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Sounds okay to me.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
So what's the scouting report on Scandella?

Can he realistically slot in as a good to great option on the second pair? Is he serviceable in any way on the top line or would he just look totally out of place there? Doesn't seem like he's much of a PP guy. Also, left or right side?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Right handed shot forwards (center or RW), cap relief, and prospects/picks would be the goals.

So the core problem here is the same thing that we saw last summer with Anaheim -- you want to move a contract for cap relief, but the only ones that have value are all actually pretty reasonably priced. Which is to say, we're not going to give you back a roster player that saves you appreciable money.

But we could give you back just MORE futures.

You choice of Mittelstadt (shoots L) or Nylander (shoots R)
Your choice of Bailey/Fasching/Baptiste (RWs)
2nd rounder 2018

for Brodin.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
This is a deal I would do.

I think it works well for both sides. I could deal with parting w/Nylander, I like where our mold of the core group of scoring F's are heading for the future.

Would chop $4m immediately off the cap from Minny

And sadly from Buffalo POV, Scandella is easily in our top 4 b/c of our desperate need for D now. He could possibly even be Risto's partner on the 1st pair. It would greatly reduce Bogosian's role, which is also a plus

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Personally I think their current play is pretty close, so I'm not going to claim that Brodin is waaay better or anything. Brodin's better defensively, but worse offensively and less physical than Scandella.

They have effectively the same contracts, but Scandella's older and has less room to grow. In my opinion, if you're mostly looking for cap space you don't trade Brodin for fair value when you have the option to trade Scandella.

But if your window is now, their current play is pretty close, and you are being offered 2nd round picks and other flotsam for Scandella, to me it makes more sense to trade Brodin if it could return someone like Reinhart.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would not add a1st to Scandella to get Nylander, the dude projects to be a 2nd liner. You're getting a #3 defenseman. You don't also get a 1st for Alex Nylander. He's not William.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
So what's the scouting report on Scandella?

Can he realistically slot in as a good to great option on the second pair? Is he serviceable in any way on the top line or would he just look totally out of place there?

Scandella easily slots in as a #2 LHD and can handle top minutes if he's paired with a true #1 RHD. When he played with Spurgeon, that pair was a top 5 pairing in the NHL. They were that good.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sabres and Wild needs are a bit misaligned.

Between Scandella and Brodin, Brodin fits Housley's system much better. That'd no slight on Scandella.

Nylander is the best fit going back to Minnesota in these deals (aside from Reinhart, which I don't think is happening). But Nylander fits where Buffalo is headed well.

The player Buffalo would ideally love to off-load is Kane, and there was some interest from Fletcher last draft day.

If they do trade, I see fans of one side thinking they got ripped in the initial reaction.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Yeah...no.

Think more Larsson and a 2nd for Scandella

I don't want to move Larsson. I would rather move Girgensons

Brodin for Reinhart

If you are gonna make a move then something bold like this would be prefered than a deal for Scandella. Now with a move like this adding pieces such as Pominville could be considered obviously depending upon the other parts.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta

I would not add a1st to Scandella to get Nylander, the dude projects to be a 2nd liner. You're getting a #3 defenseman. You don't also get a 1st for Alex Nylander. He's not William.

agreed. I do not like this for MIN. Maybe change the 1st to a 2nd.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I think it works well for both sides. I could deal with parting w/Nylander, I like where our mold of the core group of scoring F's are heading for the future.

Would chop $4m immediately off the cap from Minny

And sadly from Buffalo POV, Scandella is easily in our top 4 b/c of our desperate need for D now. He could possibly even be Risto's partner on the 1st pair. It would greatly reduce Bogosian's role, which is also a plus

Scandella could easily pair with Risto as your top pair IMO

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014

didn't know projections for prospects were made final and written in sharpie once they hit age 19. He just played a full year of the AHL at age 18 and obviously went through some growing pains. The talent is there, and will likely come with more maturity and experience

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad