Confirmed Trade: [BUF/MIN] Scandella, Pominville, 4th Round Pick for Ennis, Foligno, 3rd Round Pick

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Ennis has more talent...but even healthy he's a real dumb player and liability defensively

Considering our lineup is really good defensively for the most part... I don't think one forward wing being a liability will be all that big of a deal.

On a young team trying to learn to compete, it can be a bigger deal. It's not like Pominville was a wizard on defense himself.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Wild arent just replacing those two with who they got today...Olofsson and JEE are likely ready as well. People need to step back and breathe.

Thus far from the forward ranks...

-Pominville
-Haula
-Graovac
-Schreoder
+JEE
+Ennis
+Foligno

JEE >=Haula
Pominville >=Ennis
Foligno > Graovac and Schreoder

I don't really count White or Hanzal since they were picked up for the playoff run.

Overall... we're about neutral IMO.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Thus far from the forward ranks...

-Pominville
-Haula
-Graovac
-Schreoder
+JEE
+Ennis
+Foligno

JEE >=Haula
Pominville >=Ennis
Foligno > Graovac and Schreoder

I don't really count White or Hanzal since they were picked up for the playoff run.

Overall... we're about neutral IMO.

Exactly. So this screaming that we are clearly worse ( and some m@Г©Ω§ going with we are not even a playoff team) are way overreacting.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Exactly. So this screaming that we are clearly worse ( and some m@Г©Ω§ going with we are not even a playoff team) are way overreacting.

Our forwards are still deep. That hasn't changed. Not sure what we have for a 4th line yet until we get a center there... but I guarantee it can't be much worse than Graovac turned out to be last year.

Positions are still in flux until we know where JEE will lineup this season... center or wing.

Zucker - Koivu - Granlund
Nino/Parise - Staal - Coyle/Nino
Parise/Nino/JEE - JEE/Coyle - Ennis
Foligno - UFA - Stewart

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Considering our lineup is really good defensively for the most part... I don't think one forward wing being a liability will be all that big of a deal.

On a young team trying to learn to compete, it can be a bigger deal. It's not like Pominville was a wizard on defense himself.

That's exactly what we said about Vanek, and we know how that worked out. You can't have a player on your team who refuses to play D, or all the others will start to ask why they should. Coaches HATE those types of players, unless they are legit 40-50 goal scorers.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That's exactly what we said about Vanek, and we know how that worked out. You can't have a player on your team who refuses to play D, or all the others will start to ask why they should. Coaches HATE those types of players, unless they are legit 40-50 goal scorers.

The problem with Vanek was that he wouldn't even give effort at all to one half of the ice - he'd go all dead battery controller on the play. Think of Ennis like a young Zucker defensively. Everyone was so willing to overlook his mistakes, even though they were bonehead mistakes, because he tried and the team around was able to handle it because he didn't completely abandon the play.

Zucker eventually turned into a pretty good defender as time went on as well.

Not saying Ennis will become a decent defender like Zucker, but he can become at least as painless as he was when he was the liability he was.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
alarmist always need something to wail about. I'd be happy if i were buffalo. i'm neutral as a Wild fan.

As a Sabers fan I'm in your frame of mind from my teams standpoint, neutral.
Yea, we needed to shore up defensively and we did.

Won't know the true impact of this trade until the season progresses.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Guarantee Foligno is an absolute monster the first couple months of the season. When he gets going, he's a beast. After that, inconsistent again. Always thought he could potentially turn it up in the playoffs though. Just needs the right motivation.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
I think the Sabres owned this. Guy at work didn't like it. Ennis could not have had much value if any(maybe negative). Foligno is not a proven top 6. Pommers is a top 6, and most would say Scandella is a top 4. Salaries aside(esp Ennis), it's a total rip, imo. Btw, I am a Foligno fan.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think the Sabres owned this. Guy at work didn't like it. Ennis could not have had much value if any(maybe negative). Foligno is not a proven top 6. Pommers is a top 6, and most would say Scandella is a top 4. Salaries aside(esp Ennis), it's a total rip, imo. Btw, I am a Foligno fan.

Not in Minnesota he wasn't. 3rd line player.

OneBuffalo

Feb 7, 2015
Davis-Monthan AFB AZ
I don't mind swapping picks, and receiving the #9 5v5 per 60 min point scorer in the league (Pomminville), and a HUGE improvement on our defense with a top 4 defenseman (Scandella). Especially when it's for a guy 1 hit away from ending his career (Ennis), and a 4th line power forward.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland
Above all else, this was a cap relief move for the Wild. Scandella wasn't top 4 in Wild and he wasn't even that good, not 4 million good anyway. He has been regressing the past 2 years but is somehow regarded as this physical defensive d-man when in fact he was struggling defensively throughout last season.

Pominville on the other hand was absolutely atrocious last season. 13 goals from a goal scorer with no significant talents is unforgivable. Pominville doesn't really have a solid 2-way game either, since he is pretty handicapped with his lackluster skating ability. Sure he has a nice work ethic and is likable but that doesn't warrant a 5.6 million cap hit for a guy who's 4th liner at best.

I don't know much about Ennis or Foligno since I don't follow Buffalo at all. From what I've read, I don't mind Foligno if he's not overly expensive. Anything over 2 million and I think he shouldn't be signed. Ennis on the other hand looks like a potential buyout, nothing more. Small forward who has lost his ability to skate (from what I hear) doesn't exactly strike me as a keeper.

From my point of view: I don't mind losing Scandella for practically nothing and I'm ecstatic to see Pominville not wearing a Wild jersey ever again. This gives us enough room to re-sign Niederreiter and Granlund. Both of which are far better players than any we've given up this off-season.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Above all else, this was a cap relief move for the Wild. Scandella wasn't top 4 in Wild and he wasn't even that good, not 4 million good anyway. He has been regressing the past 2 years but is somehow regarded as this physical defensive d-man when in fact he was struggling defensively throughout last season.

Pominville on the other hand was absolutely atrocious last season. 13 goals from a goal scorer with no significant talents is unforgivable. Pominville doesn't really have a solid 2-way game either, since he is pretty handicapped with his lackluster skating ability. Sure he has a nice work ethic and is likable but that doesn't warrant a 5.6 million cap hit for a guy who's 4th liner at best.

I don't know much about Ennis or Foligno since I don't follow Buffalo at all. From what I've read, I don't mind Foligno if he's not overly expensive. Anything over 2 million and I think he shouldn't be signed. Ennis on the other hand looks like a potential buyout, nothing more. Small forward who has lost his ability to skate (from what I hear) doesn't exactly strike me as a keeper.

From my point of view: I don't mind losing Scandella for practically nothing and I'm ecstatic to see Pominville not wearing a Wild jersey ever again. This gives us enough room to re-sign Niederreiter and Granlund. Both of which are far better players than any we've given up this off-season.
FYI - he's getting over $2m, he made $2.25m last season and his qualifying offer is $2.5m, so $2.5 should be expected.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe

LOL if you think losing Pommers and Scandella for a player that is not to be re-signed and for a buyout candidate is a good idea. This must be the craziest thing I've read in this thread.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
LOL if you think losing Pommers and Scandella for a player that is not to be re-signed and for a buyout candidate is a good idea. This must be the craziest thing I've read in this thread.

What do you think Pominville was for Minnesota? He was absolutely facing being bought out - most likely next season, because the harsh buyout penalty his contract still holds this season.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
What do you think Pominville was for Minnesota? He was absolutely facing being bought out - most likely next season, because the harsh buyout penalty his contract still holds this season.
No one would buy out a 45 point player at 5.6 mil per. Pominville is worth his money much more than Ennis is and Scandella and Foligno cannot even be compared - one is useful top 4 D, the other is a trainwreck. You got fleeced, denying it maybe makes you feel better after everyone clearly was asking for the moon for Scandella on here but it's the truth that Botts fleeced Minny.

Jugitsu

Dec 24, 2016
Finland

Getting rid of Pominville isn't a loss. His value is well beyond negative. If it wasn't, Fletcher would've traded him for actual asset.

It actually cost us Scandella to get rid of Pominville, the way I see it. And from all the top 4 potential d-men the Wild had, Scandella was the obvious choice to move. He was at his best 2 years ago, ever since that he has slowly deteriorated and is far from the d-man that people, for some reason, think he is. While I don't hate him or think he's a bad player, he's just too expensive for bottom 2 d-pairing in Wild.

I'll rephrase: If Foligno has indeed be given QO and it's 2.5 and he accepts it, then it's not the end of the world. We've given far worse money to bottom line wingers in the past. Just ask Vanek, Pominville and Heatley. If he doesn't accept and looks elsewhere, I want to take this time to thank Foligno for his time with the Wild.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Getting rid of Pominville isn't a loss. His value is well beyond negative. If it wasn't, Fletcher would've traded him for actual asset.

It actually cost us Scandella to get rid of Pominville, the way I see it. And from all the top 4 potential d-men the Wild had, Scandella was the obvious choice to move. He was at his best 2 years ago, ever since that he has slowly deteriorated and is far from the d-man that people, for some reason, think he is. While I don't hate him or think he's a bad player, he's just too expensive for bottom 2 d-pairing in Wild.

I'll rephrase: If Foligno has indeed be given QO and it's 2.5 and he accepts it, then it's not the end of the world. We've given far worse money to bottom line wingers in the past. Just ask Vanek, Pominville and Heatley. If he doesn't accept and looks elsewhere, I want to take this time to thank Foligno for his time with the Wild.

You do realize Pominville had more points than Ennis and Foligno combined for a lower combined cap hit right? Pomers was on 0.60PPG. Ennis and Foligno combined scored 0.54PPG (when added together!). And if you think either of them is remotely good defensively you are in for a shocker. I'd take Pomers+random ELC youngster over Ennis and Foligno combined at essentially the same cap any day of the week. Scandella is just a bonus...really nice bonus.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Don't like this one bit for Minnesota. Énnis is damaged goods and Foligno is a fourth liner. Pominville's contract is a bit bloated but he is still a good player and I can't believe Scandella was not worth more than this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad