OT: B's OT Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
I get that feeling. I had a similar feeling when I first started and walked away early, but came back because I couldn't just give up on a Vaughn comic so easily. It really whips you around with the insanity and pace, but I find the little arcs and moments more enjoyable than the story as a whole.

Likewise. I enjoyed it exponentially more when I came back to it. I agree with @HandshakeLine , though. It is goofy as hell at times which makes it a little uneven.

You mentioned Rat Queens, any other recs?

This is probably the quarantine talking, but part of me wants to go back and re-read some wretched/incredible early 90's Image Comics.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It feels a bit too monkey cheese in parts for me, then it gets super serious, and then it's back to being weird monkey cheese and I just never really felt connected enough to the characters or the setting to want to go back to it (I stopped around issue 12 or so). :dunno:

I'll probably give it a re-read if and when it finishes, but I'm in no hurry to do so.
I tried to get into Saga as well and just found it too odd to really get my hooks into. I've sort of been going through short runs of stories on DC and Marvel and the odd Indie series here and there.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Likewise. I enjoyed it exponentially more when I came back to it. I agree with @HandshakeLine , though. It is goofy as hell at times which makes it a little uneven.

You mentioned Rat Queens, any other recs?

This is probably the quarantine talking, but part of me wants to go back and re-read some wretched/incredible early 90's Image Comics.

My wife picked me up Maestro last Christmas. It wasn't bad. Quick and easy and fairly interesting.

I'm probably going to go through Bone again since I found the entire collection in one paperback pretty cheap.

Vaughn did a short run story, We Stand on Guard, about the US invading Canada in the future for resources with mechs. It wasn't bad. The ingredients were there for something very good, but it was only 6 issues and, IMO, it needed to be at least double that to be great. Once you hit the middle, everything just happens in a blur and you really are left with wanting more and to know more of the little things that built up to the climax.

Those are the ones right now that stick out to me as ones I would recommend. I am fairly new to comics and graphic novels, though. My parents steered me away from them as a kid, so I'm discovering a lot of old ones and haven't branched out much. I tried to read super hero runs of comics like X-Men, Deadpool, Batman, etc but I just can't get into those ones because of the sheer backlog and pain in the ass it is to even read just the "essentials". I end up just reading through those Wikis to pick up on what goes down there.

ETA- If you're willing to read a net comic, 8-Bit Theater could be my favorite comic ever
Nuklear Power » Archive » Episode 001: We’re going where?

Last edited:

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
Nice. Bone is great. I'm cautiously optimistic for the Netflix series. Although, I'll be disappointed if they don't play Thuggish Ruggish Bone in the trailer.

Yeah, that's the problem with the classics, I mean as far as having to read comics can be deemed a "problem". Some titles have 50+ years of backstory and that can be a slog. It's much better to hone in on specific story arcs or great runs by specific creators. I grew up on X-Men, but haven't read it in decades, but I saw they recently did a reboot/relaunch/re-whatever with a writer that I like, so I'm probably going to check that out.

A few things I've read recently are:
  • Paper Girls - another decent Brian Vaughn series that just wrapped up
  • Black Hammer - a good take on the superhero deconstruction genre
  • Mister Miracle mini-series & Vision mini-series - same writer, similar vibe for both - a darker, but not angsty take on both characters and their family lives

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
Would I regret buying a single speed bike for just joyriding city streets? It is a relatively flat area. I haven’t rode a bike in forever.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
dang.jpg

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Serious talk, single speeds are fine, fixed gears are the annoying hipster ones from a decade ago. I miss my old Surly. It was a great commuter bike, and I didn't miss the gears at all.

Reactions: dogthateats

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Stepping away from bike chat for a second, I got into a big noir kick a few weeks ago, and so, after I finished most of what the Criterion and Netflix had, I turned to Amazon. And there I discovered how absolutely absurd the world of Peter Gunn is. It's surprisingly good, in a ludicrous kind of way. Everything is jazz scored, nothing is shot in the day time only neon lit night-time scenes allowed, and the world is full of weird beatniks and other members of the underworld like dwarf pool sharks, drugged out clarinet players, dope fiend sculptors, and inscrutable piranha breeders. The crazy thing is, I think I'm actually underselling it. :laugh:

It's so weird, that I'm actually sad they only made 3 seasons of it.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Stepping away from bike chat for a second, I got into a big noir kick a few weeks ago, and so, after I finished most of what the Criterion and Netflix had, I turned to Amazon. And there I discovered how absolutely absurd the world of Peter Gunn is. It's surprisingly good, in a ludicrous kind of way. Everything is jazz scored, nothing is shot in the day time only neon lit night-time scenes allowed, and the world is full of weird beatniks and other members of the underworld like dwarf pool sharks, drugged out clarinet players, dope fiend sculptors, and inscrutable piranha breeders. The crazy thing is, I think I'm actually underselling it. :laugh:

It's so weird, that I'm actually sad they only made 3 seasons of it.

A noir fan eh?

I too am a fan of noir... if you didn't already see it - and if they still do it... check out TCM's the 'Summer of Darkness' all they play is really good under the radar classic noir films. Not sure they really do that anymore ... but you still have the years they did do it...

Whats your favorite noir piece of all time? Can't use 'Maltese Falcon' either... too easy an answer =P

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
A noir fan eh?

I too am a fan of noir... if you didn't already see it - and if they still do it... check out TCM's the 'Summer of Darkness' all they play is really good under the radar classic noir films. Not sure they really do that anymore ... but you still have the years they did do it...

Whats your favorite noir piece of all time? Can't use 'Maltese Falcon' either... too easy an answer =P

Oh the Big Sleep, both versions of the 1946 film. :laugh: I watch that about once a year, plus I love reading Chandler. A close second would be Tokyo Drifter, which is a weird hallucinatory Japanese noir about a yakuza hitman who whistles his own theme song. It's amazing. It's also totally bonkers.

I want to get TCM but their app doesn't work with my VPN, so we're kinda out of luck here. That said, Criterion has a great collection of noirs, so I'm not too badly off. And like I said, Peter Gunn was kind of a revelation about how good it actually was-- it's very funny, its got great set design, and the first season is just wild. The second and third lose a bit of their steam as they become more by-the-numbers, but man, that first season should be in the discussion for really influential television series.

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Oh the Big Sleep, both versions of the 1946 film. :laugh: I watch that about once a year, plus I love reading Chandler. A close second would be Tokyo Drifter, which is a weird hallucinatory Japanese noir about a yakuza hitman who whistles his own theme song. It's amazing. It's also totally bonkers.

I want to get TCM but their app doesn't work with my VPN, so we're kinda out of luck here. That said, Criterion has a great collection of noirs, so I'm not too badly off. And like I said, Peter Gunn was kind of a revelation about how good it actually was-- it's very funny, its got great set design, and the first season is just wild. The second and third lose a bit of their steam as they become more by-the-numbers, but man, that first season should be in the discussion for really influential television series.

Damn you!

Beat me to it.

I was just reading this :
TCM - Summer of Darkness (Film Noir) - IMDb
and was about to edit my comment to say 'excluding humphrey bogart films' but you beat me to it.

I also agree, I can watch any of Hump's films on loop over and over and seldom tire... guy is a legend.

TCM is incredible... well it was... they raised their prices and are now no longer part of the 'basic' cable package. So it got removed when I changed service the bastards. I tell wifey over and over again to drop the ****ing cable service and get streamers and use broadcast tv and internet, but nooooooo.... 99 dollars for 24/7 shit programming loaded commercials with less and less good channels. I honestly can't even remember the last time that I turned the tv (to watch cable).... getting on a tv tangent here, just had my second coffee gotta correct myself here..

Why does it feel like I have seen Tokyo Drifter? Is that a manga or turned into an anime or something? I am damn sure I watched that.... maybe just a familiar sounding name.

I recently saw 'Night Moves'... really good... ever catch that?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
@Ogrezilla

It was you which we spoke about harry potter, yes?

I just watched the 4th film... Harry Potter: The gobbler of privates....

It wasssssss.......... entertaining. The reveal left me pissed I didn't see it coming. All the clues were there.... damn... damn damn damn.. I'm angry at myself cause I'll never have that chance again... it's my fault for loosely paying attention at times answering wifey's dumb arsed questions... NO MORE!... SILENCE!... So far it goes 3, 4, 1, 2 in order of liking.

Actually... you can switch 3 and 4 with depending on what I'm looking for, action wise or story.... general direction.... 4 was kind of 2 hours just for one reveal.... so yeah... nevermind. 3 is definitely much better --- 4 they really manage to make nothing into a near 3 hour film and that is impressive.

ADD:
So yeah, if I go hard on 4 (being a giant preview film) then it's 3, 1, 2, 4. Ehh.. not a locked in order though... depending on my mood I can switch them all around. The 'best' in form of visuals / direction / story - all in one though, are 3 and 4.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
@Ogrezilla

It was you which we spoke about harry potter, yes?

I just watched the 4th film... Harry Potter: The gobbler of privates....

It wasssssss.......... entertaining. The reveal left me pissed I didn't see it coming. All the clues were there.... damn... damn damn damn.. I'm angry at myself cause I'll never have that chance again... it's my fault for loosely paying attention at times answering wifey's dumb arsed questions... NO MORE!... SILENCE!... So far it goes 3, 4, 1, 2 in order of liking.

Actually... you can switch 3 and 4 with depending on what I'm looking for, action wise or story.... general direction.... 4 was kind of 2 hours just for one reveal.... so yeah... nevermind. 3 is definitely much better --- 4 they really manage to make nothing into a near 3 hour film and that is impressive.

ADD:
So yeah, if I go hard on 4 (being a giant preview film) then it's 3, 1, 2, 4. Ehh.. not a locked in order though... depending on my mood I can switch them all around. The 'best' in form of visuals / direction / story - all in one though, are 3 and 4.
it was me, and I agree. Though keep in mind I haven't seen any of them since the last one came out. My opinions are based on some old memories at this point :laugh:

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
What's the name of that book series about wizards and the wizard school? Where the kid leaves his magic-hating family to go to the wizard school near a menacing, enchanted forest and meets a rich asshole that becomes his rival? You know, the one where the boy gets a scar on his face in his first encounter with a malevolent entity to which he has an intimate connection?

Oh yeah, Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin! Great books.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
What's the name of that book series about wizards and the wizard school? Where the kid leaves his magic-hating family to go to the wizard school near a menacing, enchanted forest and meets a rich asshole that becomes his rival? You know, the one where the boy gets a scar on his face in his first encounter with a malevolent entity to which he has an intimate connection?

Oh yeah, Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin! Great books.

Le Guin is just a fantastic writer, period. I love Earthsea. It’s a shame no one’s done a great adaptation of it, same with Lloyd Alexander’s The Chronicles of Prydain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad