OT: B's OT Bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Watched that Good Trip documentary on Netflix. Sting is the coolest dude ever.

Agreed, he seems pretty chill, even if his music post-Police sucks ass. I thought it was a funny documentary, but could have had more funny stories and less after-school TV movie special time. Also solidly laughed at Ben Stiller calling his dad mid-LSD freakout.

The Carrie Fisher parts were pretty great too. And Rosie Perez, her part was pretty good too. :laugh:

Edit: the whole thing reminds me of the Mike Judge "Tales from the Tour Bus" series, a bit.

Last edited:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Really? I've been finding Saga delightfully absurd.

One comic I've really gotten into is Rat Queens.

It feels a bit too monkey cheese in parts for me, then it gets super serious, and then it's back to being weird monkey cheese and I just never really felt connected enough to the characters or the setting to want to go back to it (I stopped around issue 12 or so). :dunno:

I'll probably give it a re-read if and when it finishes, but I'm in no hurry to do so.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Civ 6 is free in the Epic Games store... it's been nice interacting with you guys.

I've played the absolute shit out of Civ 4 and Civ 5. Civ 4 Rhyse is an absolute classic, I was so disappointed that they never came out with that mod for Civ 5.

Steam has me at about 500 hours for Civ 5 in total, but I know I've played more Civ 4. The only game I know I've played more than Civ 4 is EHM, but that has like 2200 hours dating back to like 2014 :laugh:

Reactions: Winger for Hire

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Steam has me at 490 hours for CivV, but I had a physical copy on release so probably another 100+ not logged by Steam. Plus 60ish hours on the terrible Beyond Earth.

I don't even want to talk about the hours lost to EHM. I discovered that right before I was laid off and fell into a dark period of 8 - 9 months of being a damn near shut-in.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
this is making me want to log in to my WoW account just to see the hours played. It would take me about an hour just to log in and out of each character to add them all up :laugh:

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
It feels a bit too monkey cheese in parts for me, then it gets super serious, and then it's back to being weird monkey cheese and I just never really felt connected enough to the characters or the setting to want to go back to it (I stopped around issue 12 or so). :dunno:

I'll probably give it a re-read if and when it finishes, but I'm in no hurry to do so.

I get that feeling. I had a similar feeling when I first started and walked away early, but came back because I couldn't just give up on a Vaughn comic so easily. It really whips you around with the insanity and pace, but I find the little arcs and moments more enjoyable than the story as a whole.

Reactions: Mr. T

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I get that feeling. I had a similar feeling when I first started and walked away early, but came back because I couldn't just give up on a Vaughn comic so easily. It really whips you around with the insanity and pace, but I find the little arcs and moments more enjoyable than the story as a whole.

Yeah, it's weird. I never found it bad. I just... didn't have the time or patience for it, I suppose. But I also think that's why I'm more of a trade paperback kinda guy. I'd rather see where it all goes instead of waiting one month at a time.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Yeah, it's weird. I never found it bad. I just... didn't have the time or patience for it, I suppose. But I also think that's why I'm more of a trade paperback kinda guy. I'd rather see where it all goes instead of waiting one month at a time.

I do the same thing. Mainly because I'm always late to the game when it comes to comics. Secondly the trades are much easier to keep nice and look a lot better on bookshelves. The wife and I have a thing for books, we have shelves and shelves of them and refuse to move to Kindle or digital. We plan on having a library room some day with the sliding ladder with floor to ceiling shelves.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Agreed, he seems pretty chill, even if his music post-Police sucks ass.

Sting should have just titled every post-Police solo album "Music To Drown Yourself To Vol 1." etc.

Also nice try Epic Games but I already own Civ VI (and don't like it as much as V) and think GTA is insanely overrated and dull.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sting should have just titled every post-Police solo album "Music To Drown Yourself To Vol 1." etc.

Also nice try Epic Games but I already own Civ VI (and don't like it as much as V) and think GTA is insanely overrated and dull.
I can't argue with free though. I have like 40 games on Epic, and haven't so much as entered my payment info on their service.

I haven't played a GTA since Vice City on PS2, but I may give 5 a try. But once the novelty of the whole thing wore off, I definitely did find myself pretty bored in the old ones.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
GTA strikes me as like 60% or more load screens and a bunch of wandering around aimlessly. The missions are a bunch of bone-achingly dull fetch quests and the like. I also always felt the controls were absolute jank. But hey different strokes and all that.

What is Epic's goal here? Just to kill off Steam? It's like they made all this sweet Fortnite money and are burning though it with spite. I suppose just straight up giving away games will get them plenty of attention, if nothing else. Oh well... if gamers profit I guess it's whatever.

Last edited:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
GTA strikes me as like 60% or more load screens and a bunch of wandering around aimlessly. The missions are a bunch of bone-achingly dull fetch quests and the like. I also always felt the controls were absolute jank. But hey different strokes and all that.

Yeah the controls are definitely a mess. Anything on foot is subpar at best. The whole fun of the game is the freedom to steal shit then drive around. I never really cared for the mission part at all. I guess they probably tie unlocking areas to it again, which I kind of forgot about. Basically, it's a car chase simulator for me. At least the old ones were. Like I said I haven't played one since Vice City. I feel like the feeling of freedom isn't enough to carry a game anymore like it could in 2002 or whenever that game was out. Back then the ability to wander around aimlessly in such a big city was pretty novel. We'll see if I even start this one up at any point.

What is Epic's goal here? Just to kill of Steam? It's like they made all this sweet Fortnite money and are burning though it with spite. I suppose just straight up giving away games will get them plenty of attention, if nothing else. Oh well... if gamers profit I guess it's whatever.
Yeah I don't know business well enough to say how Epic is doing with all this.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
GTA 5 took up too much space on my computer for me to want to keep it. I just didn't think I'd get enough enjoyment out of it or play it enough to rationalize having it take up like 75 GB on my hard drive. I also uninstalled BF1 for a similar reason.

I've debated buying a new hard drive, because my storage space is only about 1.4 TB right now and I'm using up 700 GB (after clearing out about 400 GB last night), but that's probably going to be annoying to move everything over.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I feel like the feeling of freedom isn't enough to carry a game anymore like it could in 2002 or whenever that game was out. Back then the ability to wander around aimlessly in such a big city was pretty novel.

Yeah this is a great point. I absolutely agree.

The last one I played was Vice, too. It was fun for the reasons you outlined, at least for a few weeks. And again like you pointed out... open world stuff then was WAY more novel.

I tried out GTAV at a friends around when it came out. Bored to tears.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah this is a great point. I absolutely agree.

The last one I played was Vice, too. It was fun for the reasons you outlined, at least for a few weeks. And again like you pointed out... open world stuff then was WAY more novel.

I tried out GTAV at a friends around when it came out. Bored to tears.
yeah if the actual gameplay isn't drastically improved, I'm sure I'll feel the same. And hell, even this one is 7 years old now, so I doubt that's the case.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
GTA 5 took up too much space on my computer for me to want to keep it. I just didn't think I'd get enough enjoyment out of it or play it enough to rationalize having it take up like 75 GB on my hard drive. I also uninstalled BF1 for a similar reason.

I've debated buying a new hard drive, because my storage space is only about 1.4 TB right now and I'm using up 700 GB (after clearing out about 400 GB last night), but that's probably going to be annoying to move everything over.

It's a little time-consuming and aggravating to move stuff around but not too bad. Storage is cheap these days, especially mechanical hard drives. I typically use a big solid state (I use a 1TB m.2 drive) to put games and frequently run applications on... the OS too, of course. And then big (2+TB) mechanical drives for backup and to store music and movies on.

I think it's kind of interesting that mechanical drives are still very much in demand and will be for a while. They are more reliable, affordable and have bigger capacity. So they are still great for music, media and the like.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's a little time-consuming and aggravating to move stuff around but not too bad. Storage is cheap these days, especially mechanical hard drives. I typically use a big solid state (I use a 1TB m.2 drive) to put games and frequently run applications on... the OS too, of course. And then big (2+TB) mechanical drives for backup and to store music and movies on.

I think it's kind of interesting that mechanical drives are still very much in demand and will be for a while. They are more reliable, affordable and have bigger capacity. So they are still great for music, media and the like.

Yeah, I currently have a 500 GB SSD and a 1 TB hard drive. I think what was taking up a lot of space for me were old video games and torrented TV shows that I don't watch anymore. Once I got rid of those, I got a lot of space back.

I may look on amazon to see how expensive a 2 or 3 TB hard drive is, though.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
My girlfriend was finally able to find herself a Switch. The games she bought immediately were Animal Crossing and Mario Kart. She'll be downloading Untitled Goose Game as soon as she's able. :laugh:

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I jumped into a quick Civ6 game, and it seems painfully slower compared to 5. And it seems like the Barbarians and other Civs out pace you in production rather quickly.

Yeah, I've heard Civ 6 isn't a very good game, but it will be nice to try it out for myself instead of just assuming it's bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad