• CHC

• Other (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
How does playing only 125 games per season "prop up" his 162 game average?

the same way using P/60 makes some NHL players look better than they are. Small sample sizes extrapolated out to larger sizes almost never hold true.

the 162 game average is exactly that. its (total of a stat)/(total games played) * 162

look at it this way.

If a player's 162 game average is something they've only actually accomplished in 2/7 seasons, isnt that the definition of an inflated average?

Harper is very much a feast or famine player with one of those seasons being great enough to throw off averages like a 162 game pace.

Hell, the seasons before and after his MVP year his OPS is 300 points lower in each, and OPS+ is 80 lower in each (.768, 1.109, .834 and 111, 198, 114).

All of his stats follow that same pattern (BA .273, .330, .243), HR 14, 43, 24, SLG .423, .649, .441)

Sep 19, 2008
According to a person with direct knowledge of Harper’s process, the 26-year-old and his agent, Scott Boras, met with Nationals owner Ted Lerner for five hours on the Saturday before Christmas. Asked to confirm that this meeting happened, multiple people with the club refused to do so, a departure from their relative openness about their status with Harper this winter.

So nats secretly meeting with boras fwiw

Edit:
Also according to passan, theyve met multiple times

Philadelphia Phillies emerge as clear-cut favorite to land Bryce Harper after meeting

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What happened to the hype that he would return to DC? Has that died down now?

Theres only one team with a confirmed offer made to him (as far as we know) and it's made by nats

Now of course there could be a phillies offer we dont know about but Bob said the phillies havent made an offer yet. But we all know boras loves to play the media so it could be a lets make nats panic or its a lets put pressure on philly to get a deal done

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
The prevailing theory (fantasy) around town is Trout is destined for the Phillies when he's a FA, but it just occurred to me how can they afford him at close 400m after paying Harper 300+? The rest of the roster will have to be replacement level players and guys on rookie deals.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
If the Nats are offering $300 mill + he should just sign there. Nats are contenders and he won't get a better offer than that.

It’s a coin flip as of now. In regards to the Nats their entire potential lies in Scherzer and Strasburg. Strasburg is still fairly young but Scherzer is nearing that age where the cliff dive happens. Halladay lost it at 35 and Schilling became less effective around then too. I’m not sure he has more than 1-2 more seasons left at that elite level and you figure if he falls off that could easily be 10-12 wins difference and their minor league pitching depth is fairly lousy. The Phillies have loads of money to spend. The main problem is their pitching depth in the minors isn’t really there either but I still may feel comfortable long term going there if I’m Harper as statistics alone argue its tough for a team to stay as strong as the Nats have been for more than about 6-8 years. They’re bound to cycle down for awhile. The Braves would be the team in that division I would want to go to because how deep their pitching prospect core is but they simply don’t spend big money on non home grown UFAs. It’s really fairly embarrassing that given the size of the markets they are in the Braves and Mets didn’t as much even meet with Harper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad