Bryan Murray deserve so much more credit

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
People weren't upset about signing MacArthur they were pissed about losong Alfie and saw MacA as the defacto replacement.
For sure. Although like often on here people had a hard time articulating that and MacArthur was bashed a ton.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I agree. I was one of the few defenders of Murray around here.

The same will happen a few years from now when all the work Dorion is doing right now finally pays off.

Reactions: guyzeur

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not to disrespect to the late Brian Murray, but this was the bottom line. So why does he deserve so much more credit?

Actually, I'm very comfortable to grant the 2016-17 success to Murray's tenure and not because Dorion took over the team and traded Zibanejad and Dahlen for Brassard and Burrows. It was all the talent Murray brought in that carried the team.

Made the playoffs 6 years out of 9 years
386-303-97 record .549 in P%
23-29 in the playoffs, won 3 rounds, 1 ECF
Look at the draft record from 2008 to 2016 :

Ottawa Senators Draft History at hockeydb.com

Notable names : Karlsson, Stone, Chabot, Zibanejad, Hoffman, White, Lehner, Silfverberg, Dzingel, Pageau, Smith, Ceci, Chapik, Wolanin, Jaros, Brown, Lajoie, Dahlen. All that in 9 drafts where he used some picks to acquire Turris (1st -> Rundblad + 2nd), Ryan (1st) and Bishop (2nd) + Hemsky

Considering Melnyk and financial constraints, I'd call that very good results, while we were building a very strong foundation (remember the team had to rebuild in 2011 because very poor prospect pool, thanks to Muckler). Look at the results under Dorion the last 2 years lol. Under Melnyk orders, he has wrecked most of Murray's work.

For keeping this dysfunctional organization afloat for as long as he had? An organization that has been a disgrace ever since he stepped down.

Well said. I didn't expect the team to fall apart that much and that quickly. It's kind of astounding.

Murray couldn't go full Sabres/Oilers, he knew he had to stay competitive and rebuild on the fly to keep fans interest. Dorion just couldn't keep it going very long... something Murray did for nearly a decade.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Dorion took Ottawa further in his first year than Murray ever got as GM of Ottawa As GM Dorion has 2 playoffs round victories playoff round victories and Murray only had 1 as GM.

Damn, it's actually incredible that anybody could think that but I know I shouldn't be surprised with anything anymore.

Have you compared the line-ups from 2015-16 and 2016-17?

All Dorion did was destroying Murray's work.

I absolutely love Brassard but he traded Zibanejad for the dead end of Brassard's prime. Gave up a 2nd too but finances had to do with it so I won't blame him entirely.

I also absolutely love Burrows having played against him before he made the NHL, but Dorion gave a pretty sexy Murray prospect and signed him 2 years (too expensive too) when he could have went for a cheaper option in asset cost and dollars cost.

Or was it bringing in Tom Pyatt and Chris Kelly that made the team so good?

Anyone thinking the team results in 2016-17 is the result of Dorion's work is pretty damn naive.

I remember how badly our fan base ripped on Murray for signing Clarke MacArthur on July 1. Turned out to be one of our best free agent signings I can remember since I’ve been following the team.

By far my favorite UFA signing this team has ever made (well Hasek could have been, but different story)

Second is Gonchar, by Murray as well.

Who else has been able to sign good UFAs to come to Ottawa? Even Kovalev who was in decline, was still pretty good in his first year here. lol wonder how long it will take until we get names like Kovalev and Gonchar to sign in Ottawa as UFAs.

People weren't upset about signing MacArthur they were pissed about losong Alfie and saw MacA as the defacto replacement.

I think everybody now realize that losing Alfie was a result of Melnyk cheap ways. Would have been great to see Alfie only play with 1 team in his career but at least he was 41 y/o on the verge of retirement

Last edited:
Reactions: JungleBeat

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Damn, it's actually incredible that anybody could think that but I know I shouldn't be surprised with anythign anymore.

I absolutely love Brassard but he traded Zibanejad for the dead end of Brassard's prime. Gave up a 2nd too but finances had to do with it so I won't blame him entirely.

I also absolutely love Burrows having played against him before he made the NHL, but Dorion gave a pretty sexy Murray prospect and signed him 2 years (too expensive too) when he could have went for a cheaper option in asset cost and dollars cost.

Anyone thinking the team results in 2016-17 is the result of Dorion's work is pretty damn naive.
Actually Dohrion went out and traded for every player Murray wanted.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Damn, it's actually incredible that anybody could think that but I know I shouldn't be surprised with anything anymore.

By far my favorite UFA signing this team has ever made (well Hasek could have been, but different story)

Second is Gonchar, by Murray as well.

Who else has been able to sign good UFAs to come to Ottawa? Even Kovalev who was in decline, was still pretty good in his first year here. lol wonder how long it will take until we get names like Kovalev and Gonchar to sign in Ottawa as UFAs.

I think everybody now realize that losing Alfie was a result of Melnyk cheap ways. Would have been great to see Alfie only play with 1 team in his career but at least he was 41 y/o on the verge of retirement

The GM is responsible for the lineup so if you think it’s a bad lineup blame Murray.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Murray’s performance as a GM left a lot to be desired but I’ll always admire the fact that he told Melnyk to f*** off when needed.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The GM is responsible for the lineup so if you think it’s a bad lineup blame Murray.

Uh :huh:

Have you read my post or you just didn't understand what I said?

I'm saying the lineups between Murray last year and when Dorion took over were basically identical, except for the great acquisitions Dorion made (Brassard, Burrows, Pyatt, Kelly) and minus Zibanejad, Chiasson, Lazar, Puempel/Prince.

I just have no idea what you were responding to. It just doesn't make any rational sense. Must have been directed to another poster?

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Murray made plenty of bad moves but at least he was a true professional (aside form the Wikstrand situation). Dorion is a clown.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Ok can we just take a moment to consider the masterpiece of a single season Murray had from taking over as GM of the Mighty Ducks at the end of the 2001/02 season.

The Ducks were a non-playoff team that year.

His first move was to hire rookie head coach Mike Babcock. Between then and the following trade deadline he added Petr Sykora, Adam Oates, Rob Niedermayer, Steve Thomas, Sandis Ozolins, and suddenly the Cinderella Mighty Ducks went to game seven of the Stanley Cup Finals.

That spring he signed college free agent Chris Kunitz, and then at the draft traded two second rounders for an extra first and got Getzlaf and Perry in the first round of the same draft.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ok can we just take a moment to consider the masterpiece of a single season Murray had from taking over as GM of the Mighty Ducks at the end of the 2001/02 season.

His first move was to hire rookie head coach Mike Babcock. Between then and the following trade deadline he added Petr Sykora, Adam Oates, Rob Niedermayer, Steve Thomas, Sandis Ozolins, and suddenly the Cinderella Mighty Ducks went to game seven of the Stanley Cup Finals.

That spring he signed college free agent Chris Kunitz, and then at the draft traded two second rounders for an extra first and got Getzlaf and Perry in the first round of the same draft.
Should we start a Chara appreciation thread too because he led Boston to a Stanley Cup?

He should be judged on what he did in Ottawa. Career wise he laid the foundation for a lost t of teams. Unfortunately he did not do as well of a Job in Ottawa. He got us some very good players but was all over the place in filling out a competitive roster.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I heard an unnamed bank with a green logo with letters offered him a 20k personal LOC, and a 400k HELOC. I thought for sure he'd be good for more than that, but they said that's all the credit they could give him...

no-respect-quickmeme-com-no-respect-rodney-memes-quickmeme-53601331.png

Reactions: branch

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Murray ALSO put together the Panthers team that went to the Finals in their third year - and the expansion rules back then were a lot tougher than Vegas had it.

AND he was the one who brought Scotty Bowman to Detroit.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Yeah that was epic. Ironically, that team beat us in the finals with a pig who stole most of the credit

Murray had an outstanding career as a coach and GM, one of the greatest hockey names in history. And he was a great man, his family can be proud. Most of his haters won't even achieve 1/100 of what he did. Now that's the funny part.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Yeah that was epic. Ironically, that team beat us in the finals with a pig who stole most of the credit

Murray had an outstanding career as a coach and GM, one of the greatest hockey names in history. And he was a great man, his family can be proud. Most of his haters won't even achieve 1/100 of what he did. Now that's the funny part.

To be fair, I thought Burke was a great GM too. Murray played a role in building the eventual Red Wing dynasty, led Florida to a Final, and built most of that Ducks Cup team, but he could never quite finish one himself.

As much as that Ducks team was mostly Murray's, Burke super-charged the defense, adding their two best players in Niedermayer and Pronger, as well as Beauchemin, and Selanne up front. Granted, he had a ton of cap space and good assets to work with, but those moves were difference-makers and pretty genius stuff.

But yeah, as you said, Murray was a great person and great hockey mind, and I gotta imagine he'll be in the HHOF someday.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad