Bryan Murray deserve so much more credit

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Bryan Murray may have been a very nice man and an excellent coach but as a General Manager he was an abject failure.

I think the whole point is that now that we learn more and more about the Ottawa organization what Murray did was far from a failure.

It’s more impressive than anything.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I consider Dorion to be a continuation of the Murray era.
Well no wonder you think he was a failure
giphy.gif

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think it’s enough to revere the man for what we know he did over his HOF career.

I don’t personally think we need to involve BM in the myth-making that goes on around here.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I used to hate on this man but these last 2 years have shown me that he deserves a statue in front of the new arena when it's built in LeBreton Flats.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I would also like a list of these myths.

I thought you were just about done with the team and are turning to college football...

Now that doesn’t sound like a good usage of my time, not with you two feet out the door!

Besides, you haven’t made me even grin with what used to be your signature posts, in months!

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I thought you were just about done with the team and are turning to college football...

Now that doesn’t sound like a good usage of my time, not with you two feet out the door!

Besides, you haven’t made me even grin with what used to be your signature posts, in months!

So no list or explanation on what myths we are talking about.

Gotcha.

I also said I’m spending my hockey money on college football this season. I am guessing I will tune in for about 20 Sens games this season. But back in the topic at hand:

1. You say there are myths about Murray
2. Poster asks to name the myths
3. You won’t

Is that a fair assessment of the situation?

Edit: actually don’t answer I realize I don’t really care. Sure everything Murray did was a myth.

Last edited:
Reactions: SenatorsHockey

R2010

May 23, 2011
Murray just managed to contain Melnyk enough to keep things somewhat functional. Being an average team with a couple decent runs under the worst owner in the NHL who progressively got worse and worse is pretty impressive.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dorion took Ottawa further in his first year than Murray ever got as GM of Ottawa As GM Dorion has 2 playoffs round victories playoff round victories and Murray only had 1 as GM.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So no list or explanation on what myths we are talking about.

Gotcha.

I also said I’m spending my hockey money on college football this season. I am guessing I will tune in for about 20 Sens games this season. But back in the topic at hand:

1. You say there are myths about Murray
2. Poster asks to name the myths
3. You won’t

Is that a fair assessment of the situation?

Edit: actually don’t answer I realize I don’t really care. Sure everything Murray did was a myth.

I like you Pete, don’t take my posts the wrong way here.

The myth is that Murray held the organization together, and that the organization has fallen apart now.

Those are two HFSens myths.

The owner is a buffoon and has alienated the fanbase, which in turn has gone off the deep end, at least in here (I’m not saying it’s not deserved).

The organization outside of the owner is not nearly seen as pathetic by players and other teams as is so often argued in here.

I won’t get too deep into it because I don’t want to deal with the fall out.

I have always liked and respected BM, he was mediocre as a GM, and wasn’t all of a sudden the singular guy holding the Sens together.

In addition he did groom and choose PD as a worthy successor to himself though, so there is that.

I’m enjoying the long weekend in the pool with fam and beer so be gentle with your responses :)

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
When did Melnyk being a cheapskate start though? We were a cap team up until 2011, and when we did try a rebuild back then, it was legitimately because we were getting too old.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think he was in a very advantageous situation. He had a lot of friends around the league who were loyal to him and managed to convince the owner of his home town team to let him take control. Once that happened Melnyk had to bow down to him for better or for worse. Murray was very impatient in rebuilding the team and that is what set us back as much as Melnyk being cheap. I think if Murray had done a better job building successfully Melnyk would not have been as reluctant to spend. Murray had more than enough time to turn things around and as a result we were "average for years to come";). For sure Melnyks role played a part but I think Murray shares as much blame. At some point this team needed a new set of eyes to try and tinker with this roster but because of Murray's influence over the team it could never have happened without firing him which would have been as bad as the state we are in right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ed Wood

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think he was in a very advantageous situation. He had a lot of friends around the league who were loyal to him and managed to convince the owner of his home town team to let him take control. Once that happened Melnyk had to bow down to him for better or for worse. Murray was very impatient in rebuilding the team and that is what set us back as much as Melnyk being cheap. I think if Murray had done a better job building successfully Melnyk would not have been as reluctant to spend. Murray had more than enough time to turn things around and as a result we were "average for years to come";). For sure Melnyks role played a part but I think Murray shares as much blame. At some point this team needed a new set of eyes to try and tinker with this roster but because of Murray's influence over the team it could never have happened without firing him which would have been as bad as the state we are in right now.

I'm not entirely sure Murray was impatient. It definitely feels like this team has been in a we need playoff revenue to survive mode for at least a decade now. That leads to some awkward choices, especially when the cupboard was bare when Murray took over. We also had a team (for some of those years, at least) that looked like they had the talent to go all the way.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Murray traded for Phaneuf and here we are trading again for an overpaid Leafs Dman.

Funny thing in everything we sent back to Toronto none of it was NHL talent, but they all had NHL contracts.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I remember how badly our fan base ripped on Murray for signing Clarke MacArthur on July 1. Turned out to be one of our best free agent signings I can remember since I’ve been following the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad