Bryan Murray deserve so much more credit

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I was so hard on BM but man with Melnyk meddling and looking to save/save/save those back loaded deals he signed everyone to was genius

He was the only reason the Sens were able to keep a group of you talent together for as long as they had... As soon as he passed away it all fell apart

And he did this without throwing Melnyk under the bus... and really hid how bad the financial situation really was from the fan base

You really see the difference in control BM had opposed to a nobody like Dorion.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I was so hard on BM but man with Melnyk meddling and looking to save/save/save those back loaded deals he signed everyone to was genius

He was the only reason the Sens were able to keep a group of you talent together for as long as they had... As soon as he passed away it all fell apart

And he did this without throwing Melnyk under the bus... and really hid how bad the financial situation really was from the fan base

You really see the difference in control BM had opposed to a nobody like Dorion.
You hit the nail on the head. He could control Geno.

He also went about his business in a first class manner. It was a sad day when he had to step down. Sadder when we got the ultimate news.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I kept defending Murray for years and was telling people who wanted his head : "be careful what you wish for". I guess they got what they wanted

The Sens under Murray were a very well respected team, the results ended up average overall but the team was never bad like the last 2 years, not even close. And in those meddling years, Murray built a foundation of young talent that should have paid a lot of dividends, which started to happen in the seasons 2014-15 and 2016-17, but it's already over as most of this talent got sold/traded by Melnyk.

His drafting (2008 to 2016) speak for itself. Not all trades worked super well but some ended up really good (Turris, Anderson, etc). Even some of the signings were beneficial (Gonchar, MacArthur, etc) but it's more the fact that Melnyk was not as involved with the team, Murray was handling everything. A true professional and a gentleman.

Dorion is not a nobody, he's just a very good scout that accepted to be Melnyk's puppet for more money, substantially more money. It's like a random employee of a company accepting the CEO role, let's say an engineer or a accountant. That wouldn't be ideal. Now imagine if that Ceo had a lot of contacts with the public.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Hopefully he was documenting all of Melnyk's ludicrous requests and actions over the years and it's made public in some form one day.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
BM was a GM and a babysitter...Too bad it took him dying for some to see this...I loved BM as our GM and defended him and his every move,as I seen back then what most have come to realise now with our owner....This nonsense with EM has been festering for far far too long

orkid

Jun 25, 2014
I still miss seeing Bryan Murray reactions during games. He was always so into it. Clearly a very passionate man who was respected by players and management around the league.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I’ve been saying for a while now he deserves a statue in front of the CTC. He did so much more behind the scenes then we all realized at the time.

The Professional

Sens Army Special Operations Command
Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
Doug MacLean says one time Bryan Murray got 7 calls from Eugene Melnyk from the time the game ended to the time he got to the dressing room, to fire Paul MacLean and Murray didn't fire him.

Reactions: R2010

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
You try and get average results using a ford pinto in a race with a bunch of Ferraris.

For most of the years he was GM we were spending near or at the cap.

I have a massive amount of respect for Murray as an organizational diplomat, someone willing to listen to his people, as a keen eye for young talent, and above all else a genuinely good man.

However as a general manager responsible for assembling a winning team and as someone responsible for trade negotiations, I am disappointed with how things turned out.

Reactions: Ed Wood

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Just the respect around the league that he commanded made him so much better than his doormat successor.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Not to disrespect to the late Brian Murray, but this was the bottom line. So why does he deserve so much more credit?
For keeping this dysfunctional organization afloat for as long as he had? An organization that has been a disgrace ever since he stepped down.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It’s gone from bad to worse. I remember the bad though. That’s not to say Bryan Murray wasn’t a great guy. He absolutely was.
I loved talking with him. Nice, respectful, positive attitude, funny etc.
He is missed. RIP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad