Injury Report: Bryan Little

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Too funny these line combos. Little will go back to the 2nd line and roslovic will go to the 3rd. No debate will go into that decision.
You seem pretty sure about this and it doesn't seem likely to me. Maurice has been gushing about Rosie's improved play and especially playing at speed with Ehlers. I think we see these 2 partnered going forward. It is unlikely Little returns any time soon and there is probably a greater likelihood he doesn't play again this season then he does. If he comes back I can see a scenario where Lits plays wing with Lowry and Copp and MP is dropped to the 4th.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Too funny these line combos. Little will go back to the 2nd line and roslovic will go to the 3rd. No debate will go into that decision.
There should be debate and there will be. Maurice is loving Rosie’s game and likely realizes keeping Wheeler at C makes sense. That way he has Little and Lowry as his bottom 6 centres, which gives the Jets more scoring depth and 4 lines he can play consistently.

no matter how much you don’t want it, that 2nd line has been performing very well and Rosie is a big part of it with Ehlers. Not sure why you have such an issue with it. It’s kind of weird.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
You seem pretty sure about this and it doesn't seem likely to me. Maurice has been gushing about Rosie's improved play and especially playing at speed with Ehlers. I think we see these 2 partnered going forward. It is unlikely Little returns any time soon and there is probably a greater likelihood he doesn't play again this season then he does. If he comes back I can see a scenario where Lits plays wing with Lowry and Copp and MP is dropped to the 4th.
About as sure as the people who have little on the 4th line. Lemieux has as many points as roslovic and he plays on the 4th line. Little is infinitely better then roslovic in every way offense and defense. Little isnt old nor is he slow nor is he not playing on the 2nd line if the choice is him or roslovic. He would have more then 12 points in 30 games on 2nd line and on defence there is no comparison.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
There should be debate and there will be. Maurice is loving Rosie’s game and likely realizes keeping Wheeler at C makes sense. That way he has Little and Lowry as his bottom 6 centres, which gives the Jets more scoring depth and 4 lines he can play consistently.

no matter how much you don’t want it, that 2nd line has been performing very well and Rosie is a big part of it with Ehlers. Not sure why you have such an issue with it. It’s kind of weird.

What if.... we go back to the first preseason game and revisit Copp Lowry Wheeler. They looked great and as I recall Wheeler scored on their first shift? (Maybe I'm making that up but Wheeler scored.)

Keep the top line together. Keep Ehlers and Roslovic together. Keep everyone in the positions they've played their entire career.

Connor Scheif Laine
Ehlers Little Roslovic
Copp Lowry Wheeler

You play Wheeler against the other teams top line still. He's great at cycling the puck. He said he doesn't care about individual points anymore, just wins.

When you play your top 3 lines equally at 18 minutes per game you just need a 4th line that can play a handful of minutes, hopefully in the other team's end and Perreault on the 4th ensures that will happen.

It's almost like we can't go wrong. The way Laine has been playing I bet even if you went back to Little Laine the results would be better. IMO 1st line Laine is here to stay though.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
When Maurice was talking about maybe keeping Wheeler at 2C, he said something that a lot can happen in two months (so maybe that’s Little’s timeline).

I think Wheeler will be kept at 2C. Assuming the top two lines remain consistent...let’s see what we should do with the bottom two lines...

Perreault-Little-Appleton
Copp-Lowry-Bourque

At any rate, it will be nice to completely remove our fourth line from the starting roster.

Reactions: sipowicz

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
When Maurice was talking about maybe keeping Wheeler at 2C, he said something that a lot can happen in two months (so maybe that’s Little’s timeline).

I think Wheeler will be kept at 2C. Assuming the top two lines remain consistent...let’s see what we should do with the bottom two lines...

Copp-Lowry-Bourque

At any rate, it will be nice to completely remove our fourth line from the starting roster.

I don’t see Maurice ever moving Lowry from the 3rd line. He’s cemented in there tight as can be.
It takes away a lot of other nice options unfortunately.
When healthy we can run 3 scoring lines. But Lowry cemented in there kills that chance.

Reactions: hn777

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Copp-Lowry-Bourque

Yes, it could look like this -
Or they might try to add scoring to Lowry's line by moving Bourque out of the lineup and adding Little on the RW.

This could be a line that is not only very defensively tight but also capable of scoring a few goals. This will also allow them to get Little his minutes and keep Lowry / Copp on the ice, now with scoring potential.

You might then see them tighten up the D on the 4th line by adding Nick Shore centering Puuroh and Apples.

Copp - Lowry - Little
Perreault - Shore - Appleton

This would give you a 3rd line that might be able to do a lot of things along with a 4th that won't hurt you defensively.

This is a long shot take - but I thought I would throw it out there anyway - lot of it will depend on what Shore shows us while Lit's is out - and I'm assuming shore will get a look very soon.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Or they might try to add scoring to Lowry's line by moving Bourque out of the lineup and adding Little on the RW.

This could be a line that is not only very defensively tight but also capable of scoring a few goals. This will also allow them to get Little his minutes and keep Lowry / Copp on the ice, now with scoring potential.

You might then see them tighten up the D on the 4th line by adding Nick Shore centering Puuroh and Apples.

Copp - Lowry - Little

This would give you a 3rd line that might be able to do a lot of things along with a 4th that won't hurt you defensively.

This is a long shot take - but I thought I would throw it out there anyway - lot of it will depend on what Shore shows us while Lit's is out - and I'm assuming shore will get a look very soon.

How about
Perreault - Little - Copp
Shore - Lowry - Appleton

The third would be a true scoring line that is defensively responsible, and the fourth a shutdown line.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I don't really buy into the idea of icetime per $, I would run him as your 4C. His d and checking are elite, he just can't seem to produce offense anymore.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Key question is whether Wheeler likes playing C or would prefer to be a wing. If he would rather play wing I expect he gets his wish when Little returns.

Reactions: DashingDane

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I don’t see Maurice ever moving Lowry from the 3rd line. He’s cemented in there tight as can be.
It takes away a lot of other nice options unfortunately.
When healthy we can run 3 scoring lines. But Lowry cemented in there kills that chance.

Whether I list Little or Lowry as the “third line” doesn’t really matter. I would think we’d have more of a four line rotation with particular players getting more ice time via special teams.

I guess it gives us more options depending on the score in terms of deployment later in the game.

I like the concept of a low event Lowry line, but not when we need to make up a deficit, obviously.

More stuff to quibble about if we ever do have a healthy line-up.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

Copp - Lowry - Little

I think they ran Copp-Lowry-Little last year after we acquired Hayes and Little’s offense took a nose dive. Not sure I would be terribly excited about that. I would prefer Little at C...very solid 2 way centreman.

That said, I am curious to see Shore play a few games to see how his game fits in with our other pieces. These waiver wire guys that Chevy picks up can be surprising.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think they ran Copp-Lowry-Little last year after we acquired Hayes and Little’s offense took a nose dive. Not sure I would be terribly excited about that. I would prefer Little at C...very solid 2 way centreman.

That said, I am curious to see Shore play a few games to see how his game fits in with our other pieces. These waiver wire guys that Chevy picks up can be surprising.

Little did play that role for a bit LY and yes, his O did dive as would be expected playing with a couple of guys who are know for their checking.
But he would add offense even if it isn't where it could be playing with other players - and I mean top 6 where he usually lands. Can't really compare production with that scenario.

The challenge is, Lowry and Copp are going to get significant minutes no matter what you do and that leaves the 4th with very little - so you might as well see if you can get more out of the 3rd and at least tighten up the 4th so that they are not a liability in hopes that Mo will play them more than he currently is. You also need Little on the ice more than you will if he's playing with 4th line wingers.

My take is pushing for 3 lines that will take most of the ice time (regardless) with the potential to get more O out of the 3rd since they are going to be out there a lot anyway. You have Little as the 3rd C but I don't see that line getting much in ice time - that will end up being your 4th if you buy into the fact that Lowry continues to play the role he is today.

It pretty much comes down to this question: Do you see the Lowry line playing less minutes when you know Mo will use them to shut down top 6 opposition?

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
How about
Perreault - Little - Copp
Shore - Lowry - Appleton

The third would be a true scoring line that is defensively responsible, and the fourth a shutdown line.

Wouldn't hurt to try if but I honestly don't see Mo separating Lowry and Copp - and then you have to ask yourself, do you really want to? One of the best shut down lines in the game (that can't score). Why not pull out the weak pce on that line and add a player that won't hurt their D game and should add at least some O -
Keep in mind, I'm looking at this with the POV that Mo won't break up that line.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Little did play that role for a bit LY and yes, his O did dive as would be expected playing with a couple of guys who are know for their checking.
But he would add offense even if it isn't where it could be playing with other players - and I mean top 6 where he usually lands. Can't really compare production with that scenario.

The challenge is, Lowry and Copp are going to get significant minutes no matter what you do and that leaves the 4th with very little - so you might as well see if you can get more out of the 3rd and at least tighten up the 4th so that they are not a liability in hopes that Mo will play them more than he currently is. You also need Little on the ice more than you will if he's playing with 4th line wingers.

My take is pushing for 3 lines that will take most of the ice time (regardless) with the potential to get more O out of the 3rd since they are going to be out there a lot anyway. You have Little as the 3rd C but I don't see that line getting much in ice time - that will end up being your 4th if you buy into the fact that Lowry continues to play the role he is today.

It pretty much comes down to this question: Do you see the Lowry line playing less minutes when you know Mo will use them to shut down top 6 opposition?

At the end of the day, this is the rub. Best case scenario with Mo is a 4th line getting 8-9 minutes a night, best case. That isn’t going to be Lowry and it’s hard to imagine it will be Little either. If Shore shows is something in the coming months, I agree with your view of Little on the wing with Lurch and Copper, that has potential and still serves as Mo’s shutdown line.

I can’t shake the feeling Mo puts Wheels back on the wing and Little back in the 2C role though. I hope I’m wrong.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
At the end of the day, this is the rub. Best case scenario with Mo is a 4th line getting 8-9 minutes a night, best case. That isn’t going to be Lowry and it’s hard to imagine it will be Little either. If Shore shows is something in the coming months, I agree with your view of Little on the wing with Lurch and Copper, that has potential and still serves as Mo’s shutdown line.

I can’t shake the feeling Mo puts Wheels back on the wing and Little back in the 2C role though. I hope I’m wrong.
I get the same feeling.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

Understandably -
I'm holding out with some hope based on his recent comments - he knows he has a 1 a/b right now and he knows he won't with Little in the top 6 mix. I think the hurdle for Mo will be convincing Wheels what is best for the team and if he'll consider the role longer term.

So many variables
Would it be better to start Little off on the wing after a long absence? OTOH, would he have the endurance to play with Lowry on his return?
Is Shore a serviceable center anywhere in the line up? Is wheels willing to play along?

I'm trying to find a way to get Little into a role where he gets notable minutes but isn't in the top 6 - and that role adds to a line that needs some scoring help. I don't know how else to do it.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Understandably -
I'm holding out with some hope based on his recent comments - he knows he has a 1 a/b right now and he knows he won't with Little in the top 6 mix. I think the hurdle for Mo will be convincing Wheels what is best for the team and if he'll consider the role longer term.

So many variables
Would it be better to start Little off on the wing after a long absence? OTOH, would he have the endurance to play with Lowry on his return?
Is Shore a serviceable center anywhere in the line up? Is wheels willing to play along?

I'm trying to find a way to get Little into a role where he gets notable minutes but isn't in the top 6 - and that role adds to a line that needs some scoring help. I don't know how else to do it.
If Little has to be in the top 6 hopefully Connor gets bumped down as they trust Little defensively.
ESL
CLW

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016

I agree that Lowry will remain as the third line. Would Little be under utilized as the 4C? He’d be playing both specialty teams I would think so his total TOI should be decent.

I think I would be better with Little at centre than as a wing with Lowry and Copp.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Why would you slot Little at 4C as long as you got Lowry on the team? Little does everything Lowry does except better and for all the talk of his diminishing offence, he still had 5 points in 7 games which is 1 more than Lowry has in 27 games.

Reactions: Ducky10

boanst

May 25, 2013
Why would you slot Little at 4C as long as you got Lowry on the team? Little does everything Lowry does except better and for all the talk of his diminishing offence, he still had 5 points in 7 games which is 1 more than Lowry has in 27 games.
Wiuld Little actually better as a shutdown centre than Lowry? That has not been apparent the last couple of years.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
I don’t think there is a way to properly utilize all forwards if we are ever healthy. I don’t expect we will be healthy for an extended stretch though, most teams aren’t.

Still, if Little looks to be returning, trading Copp for an approximately equivalent D-man plus a 4th line upgrade could help the team. With Buff situation I think we could afford an overpaid 4th liner on expiring contract. Although I would personally not make any major trades this season.. just ride it out.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Understandably -

So many variables

How about a bottom-6 of
Perreault - Little - Appleton
Copp - Lowry - Shore

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
What if.... we go back to the first preseason game and revisit Copp Lowry Wheeler. They looked great and as I recall Wheeler scored on their first shift? (Maybe I'm making that up but Wheeler scored.)

Keep the top line together. Keep Ehlers and Roslovic together. Keep everyone in the positions they've played their entire career.

Connor Scheif Laine
Ehlers Little Roslovic
Copp Lowry Wheeler

You play Wheeler against the other teams top line still. He's great at cycling the puck. He said he doesn't care about individual points anymore, just wins.

When you play your top 3 lines equally at 18 minutes per game you just need a 4th line that can play a handful of minutes, hopefully in the other team's end and Perreault on the 4th ensures that will happen.

It's almost like we can't go wrong. The way Laine has been playing I bet even if you went back to Little Laine the results would be better. IMO 1st line Laine is here to stay though.
You been studying all my posts?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad